Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from Meherrin, VA

Hi, just heard of this site and joined today. I was referred by "mamato3" ~ she was my roomie after surgery and says this site has been most helpful and help is what I need right now. I had my surgery on Jan 7 with Dr. Brengman with Richmond Surgical Group at St Mary's in Richmond, VA. I am finding it extremely hard to communicate how I feel to those around me that don't have a clue. I've called the doctor's office, but the nurse and I keep playing phone tag and the info given to me, I'm finding, is quite vague. So, I have lots of questions with little to no answers. I lost 7 pounds during my pre-op LSD diet and then gained 5 of that back during my 24 hr stay at the hospital b/c of the fluids, etc. 2 days after surgery I "re"weighed and had lost that 5 plus an additional 4 pounds which was SO exciting for me. THEN, I started on the soft foods and the scales haven't budged since... now I know it's only been 1 1/2 weeks and we're supposed to move slowly with this, but I'm getting discouraged. I don't feel any different now than I did before surgery as far as food... I feel like I could keep going like always, I never seem full and the hunger pangs hit at least every couple of hours. More than that, I feel like I need to see a psychiatrist b/c I didn't really graze before surgery and now I can't keep my head out of the fridge. What do you all do for that? or am I the only one with this issue? Jeez, this was quite an introduction... sorry about that. On a positive note, I am a Type II Diabetic and have been on medication for quite some time and I've already been able to stop the meds and my sugar is NORMAL!!! Now, I'm sure this is b/c of the food I'm eating, but still, that is awesome!!! I opted for this surgery to get my weight down & control my diabetes so that we can have another child.... we start trying Jan 09, & lord willing we'll conceive a happy, healthy baby!

:cursing:Dr. Brengman did my surgery on 10/22/07. I have gone on the same emotional rollercoaster as you. I have at many times been very discouraged and been at a complete stand still at losing weight. I have read people's posts on this website and felt like a complete failure when they tell of their success and how they stick to their 4 ozs etc... so strictly. I am happy to say that I got my third fill on 2/29/08 and I finally got restriction and could feel the rewards of having the band. I go back Monday 3/17 to see Dr. Brengman and am happy to say I will have lost weight this time!! When I have seen him in the past and not lost any weight, he has never been judgemental and does a really good job of putting you at ease and giving you a pep talk. It makes a world of difference when you finally get enough Fluid in your band to feel restriction! Hang in there.

If you don't mind my asking? How much is it for self pay with the Richmond Surgical Group. I reside in the Tidewater area of Virginia and although I feel I have made an excellent choice of surgeon, I am still shopping around because you can never be too careful.

The cost can vary. It is definitely more expensive if you fit into the category of having to stay overnight in the hospital. I was same day surgery and it was $13,500.00. I thought the figure for staying overnight was around $18,000.00 but I am not 100% sure on that. Their prices include all of your follow up visits and fills for one year. It also includes an insurance policy for a company Richmond Surgical has contracted with to cover the cost of major complications. I had no problems with not being kept in the hospital overnight. In fact, I was glad I did not have to stay overnight. At the time of my surgery I weighed 227 1lb (5'5 1/2") and have high blood pressure. I highly recommend Richmond Surgical Group and Dr. Brengman. The only thing you might want to consider when choosing a surgeon not in your local area is having to travel for all of your follow up appointments and fills. I work about 1 hr 15 minutes from Richmond so I always have to schedule to take time off to go to my appointments. I've had three fills and three follow up appointments since my surgery on 10/22/07 so it does start to eat away at your sick/vacation time.