Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

60g of protein!?

All I will say to you, Trish, is be careful when you buy Protein at a store. If you get whey Protein concentrate, it has lactose for fillers (I'm lactose intolerant :( ) and you must blend it up in a blender or it will lump up on you.

The most pure protein is whey protein isolate -- and that's all I buy. BUT when I go to the drugstore, the label may say "Whey" but I've found it hard to determine which it is. That's why I buy mine from the Internet, Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, books, DVDs & more and I make sure I get free shipping. There's a gazillion flavors to choose from (my personal fav is belgian chocolate powder) so I buy it in 5 # buckets.

If you don't mind the lactose and have a blender, any whey protein will do the trick. These bodies of ours are certainly worth it, and this is for the rest of our lives... :rose:

I just bought Stacker 2 Protein Water Pink Lemonade 1 bottle

0 fat

0 carbs

0 sugar

20g Protein!!!!

this one is good

If you live any where near a Trader Joes they have pre made Protein Drinks that have 32 grams of Protein. They are not bad tasting. I am having between 70-86 grams of protein everyday per the nutritionist request and very little else. you get used to it.

wow thanks everyone! can't wait to go shopping for some powdered Protein. right now i'm trying the carnation instant Breakfast sugar-free stuff as a midmorning thing to help me keep my cals down and my protein up. only 90 cals plus the milk (makes it like 120 or something) so not too bad.

I dont usually post very much but all this talk about Protein drinks makes me crazy !!! :biggrin:

We need to be careful with getting too much Protein in a single dose....not only can it cause the runs as someone said, but it is *really* hard on your kidneys !!! Your body does not process any more than about 25-30 grams at a time and all the extra is pushed thru your kidneys, which majorly stresses them....not a good thing.

The other point that was made is 'drinking your calories'....the point of the band, when you have a proper fill and it's doing its job, is to *eat* solid foods that will keep you full for long periods of time. Yup, high Protein Drinks digest slower and will keep you full for a while, but in the long run are you going to be able to live indefinitely on protein drinks? ?? Personally, my answer would be no...I like real food too much !!!:biggrin2:

Getting in enough protein while eating *real* food is actually pretty easy when you stop and think about it. I don't plan my meals usually anymore because I know how much I'm getting usually but I used to keep track pretty closely... I've added a couple of days worth of my meal plans from when I was tracking to show you a few ideas for a regular day that is within most calorie ranges and gives a regular day worth of protein. Hope it gives you some ideas....

Tuesday

Breakfast:

vanilla & Almond Special K- 115 cals - 6 grams

Skim milk (4oz) - 43 cals - 4 grams

Lunch:

Homemade Chili (about 1 cup) - 300 cals - 22 grams

2 Sesame Rye Ryvita crackers - 80 cal - 2 grams

1 wedge LF Laughing Cow cheese - 24 cals - 4 grams

Snack:

Micro popcorn (SmartPop 100cal snackpack)

Dinner:

Beef tenderloin - 265 cals - 38 grams

steamed Asparagus - 43 cals - 4.5 grams

Snack:

1/2 cup Soy ice cream - 110 cals - 4 grams

Daily Calories - 1080

Daily Protein grams - 84.5

Weds

Breakfast:

Scrambled egg - 75 cals - 7 grams

w/ Cottage cheese - 55 cal - 8 grams

Lunch:

Salsa - 25 cal - 1 gram

and Cottage cheese mixed together - 55 cal - 8 grams

15 Baked LF Wheat Thins for dipping. - 120 cals - 4 grams

(this is a fave of mine...like chips and salsa!!!)

Snack:

2 Corn Cakes - 50 cal - 2 grams

1/w LF cheese - 24 cals - 4 grams

1/w Garlic Hoummus

Dinner:

chicken breast - 55 cals - 8 grams (would have been 25ish grams if I had eaten the 3oz portion)

Green salad w/grated cheddar - 135 cals - 7 grams

Squash - 80 cals - 2 grams

(Chicken was getting stuck so I only ate about 1oz probably)

Daily Calories - 675

Daily Protein grams - 51

(If I had eaten the chicken I planned for my day would have been 785 cals and 67 grams of protein)

Patricia

11/16/06

306/202/175 I think !!!

thanks so sooo much canadagirl33! i was having a hard time picturing what makes up the Protein i need. hopefully i'll be able to get it all in with food alone, only using the shakes when i need to. i'm so busy with classes right now that i usually don't get to snack or eat a complete lunch so that's probably where the shakes will come in. anywho, thanks for putting the menu thing up there, it helps alot

Now I am truly confused. I am still on the liquid stage until Wednesday. I am drinking one Protein shake combined with my no sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast (part of my prescribed menu) in the morning. I am still not hungry since surgery and this shake is my only source of Protein. My shake totals 400 calories with the skim milk, instant breakfast, Protein powder and unsweetened cocoa and I am still averaging a little over 500 calories a day. Am I doing something wrong? I feel great now that I drink the Protein Shake, not weak as before I could consume the shake, and I am taking my Vitamins and Calcium supplement.

I don't have any problem with bowel movements. I know my nutritrionist says to cut back on protein when I am able to get the protein from foods. Please advise, I know all doctors and diets are not quite equal but interested what you are doing in the clear/full liquid stage. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

weight.png

Banded January 9, 2008

Dr. Ervin Denham

Evanston Northwestern Hospitals

255/237.8/175

Now I am truly confused. I am still on the liquid stage until Wednesday. I am drinking one Protein shake combined with my no sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast (part of my prescribed menu) in the morning. I am still not hungry since surgery and this shake is my only source of Protein. My shake totals 400 calories with the skim milk, instant breakfast, Protein Powder and unsweetened cocoa and I am still averaging a little over 500 calories a day. Am I doing something wrong? I feel great now that I drink the Protein Shake, not weak as before I could consume the shake, and I am taking my Vitamins and Calcium supplement.

I don't have any problem with bowel movements. I know my nutritrionist says to cut back on protein when I am able to get the protein from foods. Please advise, I know all doctors and diets are not quite equal but interested what you are doing in the clear/full liquid stage. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

weight.png

Banded January 9, 2008

Dr. Ervin Denham

255/237.8/175

-imo--i think you are doing great for the stage that you are at. that is a lot of calories for a shake HOWEVER....you are in a stage where you can afford those calories..now when you start eating solids..that will be different :rolleyes2:

my doc's rule is that once we start eating solids...no more protein drinks, but everyone is different.

for right now..though..your shake is great..wish i would have thought of that post op.

do remember though that our bodies can only absorb so much protein per sitting.

..by the way..

my absolute favorite breakfast is the slim fast Protein chocolate bar. i eat it every morning. (i am almost to a point where i cannot finish a whole one). it has 190 calories and 15 grams of protein..and it is conveniently packages so that i can eat it about 9 a.m. (that is the earliest that i can eat)...have to have coffee first.

I dont usually post very much but all this talk about Protein drinks makes me crazy !!! :rolleyes2:

We need to be careful with getting too much Protein in a single dose....not only can it cause the runs as someone said, but it is *really* hard on your kidneys !!! Your body does not process any more than about 25-30 grams at a time and all the extra is pushed thru your kidneys, which majorly stresses them....not a good thing.

The other point that was made is 'drinking your calories'....the point of the band, when you have a proper fill and it's doing its job, is to *eat* solid foods that will keep you full for long periods of time. Yup, high protein drinks digest slower and will keep you full for a while, but in the long run are you going to be able to live indefinitely on protein drinks??? Personally, my answer would be no...I like real food too much !!!:biggrin2:

Getting in enough protein while eating *real* food is actually pretty easy when you stop and think about it. I don't plan my meals usually anymore because I know how much I'm getting usually but I used to keep track pretty closely... I've added a couple of days worth of my meal plans from when I was tracking to show you a few ideas for a regular day that is within most calorie ranges and gives a regular day worth of protein. Hope it gives you some ideas....

Tuesday

Breakfast:

Vanilla & Almond Special K- 115 cals - 6 grams

Skim milk (4oz) - 43 cals - 4 grams

Lunch:

Homemade Chili (about 1 cup) - 300 cals - 22 grams

2 Sesame Rye Ryvita crackers - 80 cal - 2 grams

1 wedge LF Laughing Cow cheese - 24 cals - 4 grams

Snack:

Micro popcorn (SmartPop 100cal snackpack)

Dinner:

Beef tenderloin - 265 cals - 38 grams

steamed Asparagus - 43 cals - 4.5 grams

Snack:

1/2 cup Soy ice cream - 110 cals - 4 grams

Daily Calories - 1080

Daily Protein grams - 84.5

Weds

Breakfast:

Scrambled egg - 75 cals - 7 grams

w/ Cottage cheese - 55 cal - 8 grams

Lunch:

Salsa - 25 cal - 1 gram

and Cottage cheese mixed together - 55 cal - 8 grams

15 Baked LF Wheat Thins for dipping. - 120 cals - 4 grams

(this is a fave of mine...like chips and salsa!!!)

Snack:

2 Corn Cakes - 50 cal - 2 grams

1/w LF cheese - 24 cals - 4 grams

1/w Garlic Hoummus

Dinner:

chicken breast - 55 cals - 8 grams (would have been 25ish grams if I had eaten the 3oz portion)

Green salad w/grated cheddar - 135 cals - 7 grams

Squash - 80 cals - 2 grams

(Chicken was getting stuck so I only ate about 1oz probably)

Daily Calories - 675

Daily Protein grams - 51

(If I had eaten the chicken I planned for my day would have been 785 cals and 67 grams of protein)

Patricia

11/16/06

306/202/175 I think !!!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trish I know exactly what you mean. I was banded January 9, 2008, in fact today is a week! It went so fast. I have been doing the happy dance for 3 days now because I finally figured out a tasty chocolate drink that gives me 67g Protein per 8oz drink. I am so excited that I can't wait to drink it first thing in the morning. I use a Protein powder I purchased from GNC named Any whey by Optimum and it is 17g a scoop. Following is my recipe:

8oz skim fat free milk = 9g

1 pkg of No-Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast (chocolate) = 5g

3 scoops Any Whey = 51g

2 Tbsp Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

= 2g

3 ice cubes and blend

I hope this helps you. For some reason I was like a deer in headlights when it came to protein powder. I can't believe it took me 5 days to figure out to use more than one scoop at a time...sheesh. The drink is my first meal of the day and it really helps. Hope this helps.

weight.png

Banded January 9, 2008

Dr. Ervin Denham

Just curious, have you figured the carbs and calories in your drink. It sounds like something I'd try depending on the calories.

Just curious, have you figured the carbs and calories in your drink. It sounds like something I'd try depending on the calories.
Holy CROW! That's 385 calories for your drink!!!! While that's find now when you are not eating much, you might want to rethink your recipe farther down the line...

I figured out the calories, it was on page one of this same thread! :rolleyes2:

how many calories...how much do they cost...and where do you get them?

I think its 80 calories per bottle and I bought 1 bottle to try from drugstore.com (I cant find them anywhere here locally.)1 bottle cost $2.99 but I think its cheaper by the case. Some places offer free shipping if you spend so much so I would just google it.

I plan (if I get approved for my surgery) to buy a couple of cases. They have other flavors as well but I havent tried them.

Hope this helps!!