Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

60g of protein!?

ok so i'm probably just freaking out about this, but i went for my first bariatrician appointment today and she said i need to start getting 60g of Protein a day. it seems hard. is it hard? she said i should look into Protein Drinks. which brands are good? i've read alot of posts about Unjury but it looks like it's only available on-line. are there any good ones in stores? i don't know, i have this thing about holding something and really seeing it before buying it. is Syntrax Nectar any good? thanks soo so much:biggrin:

Don't think I get in 60g. I'm sure some days I may.

You'll be advised to get in .... whatever. Take a look at the food pyramid.

Just do what you can and remember if you are about ready to eat something with no nutritional value except fat and sugar...then put it down and eat something with Protein, Vitamins, etc.

Good luck! Oh, I was one of those who tried the Protein drinks but gave up on them after a few weeks.

Its not that hard.. just a matter finding the right protien drink and taste that fits you. I use unjury personally which only give 20g per drink but thats my personal taste. I have tasted others from like costco and GNC which have 30g per drink but most of them seem to funny tasting to me personally.

If you not on protien drink only... I eat stuff like clam chowder, other type of Soups (these are the microware single serving), white meat chicken, grilled fish (frozen food section), and alot of other stuff. You just gotta take time and read those lables and be smarter on choices.

Good Luck and hope everything goes good

GNC also sells a little power shot, that has 27 grams for a 2.5 ounce "shot". Just make sure that you are filling up on Protein before anything else. Yougurt, string cheese, chicken, fish, even Special K has Water that has 5 g Protein. It all adds up and is really not that hard. Just takes some time to get used to.

Good luck!

Brandy

trish I know exactly what you mean. I was banded January 9, 2008, in fact today is a week! It went so fast. I have been doing the happy dance for 3 days now because I finally figured out a tasty chocolate drink that gives me 67g Protein per 8oz drink. I am so excited that I can't wait to drink it first thing in the morning. I use a Protein powder I purchased from GNC named Any whey by Optimum and it is 17g a scoop. Following is my recipe:

8oz skim fat free milk = 9g

1 pkg of No-Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast (chocolate) = 5g

3 scoops Any whey = 51g

2 Tbsp Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa powder

= 2g

3 ice cubes and blend

I hope this helps you. For some reason I was like a deer in headlights when it came to Protein Powder. I can't believe it took me 5 days to figure out to use more than one scoop at a time...sheesh. The drink is my first meal of the day and it really helps. Hope this helps.

weight.png

Banded January 9, 2008

Dr. Ervin Denham

Evanston Northwestern Hospitals

I was under the impression that your body can not process more than 30g of Protein at a time unless you are an athlete???

I find I can hit the 60g mark and keep my calories btw 800-1100 but I dont seem to be getting in 2-3 servings of veggies and fruit. does anyone else have this issue?

i was told too that we cannot absord more than 20 or 30 grams of Protein at a time. also, my doctor, and again each one is different, says absolutely NO Protein drinks after you are on solid foods.

which if you look at protien content, your much better off to eat some skinless chicken, and it will keep you full much longer.

and when you are in the liquid phase, it's not too bad when you puree up some chicken. the rotisserie style is really good.

i HATE Protein drinks, but when i get a fill, i drink the slim-fast low carb diet drinks. It has 190 calories and 20 grams of protein, which is a perfect ratio, and it only has 6 carbs, with 4 grams of dietary Fiber, only 1 sugar carb.

make sure you get that protein though. i haven't been, and i'm starting to get a little widow's peak. your hair will fall out if you do not eat enough protein (at least that is what my doctor keeps telling me).

trish I know exactly what you mean. I was banded January 9, 2008, in fact today is a week! It went so fast. I have been doing the happy dance for 3 days now because I finally figured out a tasty chocolate drink that gives me 67g Protein per 8oz drink. I am so excited that I can't wait to drink it first thing in the morning. I use a Protein powder I purchased from GNC named Any whey by Optimum and it is 17g a scoop. Following is my recipe:

8oz skim fat free milk = 9g

1 pkg of No-Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast (chocolate) = 5g

3 scoops Any Whey = 51g

2 Tbsp Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

= 2g

3 ice cubes and blend

I hope this helps you. For some reason I was like a deer in headlights when it came to Protein powder. I can't believe it took me 5 days to figure out to use more than one scoop at a time...sheesh. The drink is my first meal of the day and it really helps. Hope this helps.

Holy CROW! That's 385 calories for your drink!!!! While that's find now when you are not eating much, you might want to rethink your recipe farther down the line...

That is WAY too much to have at one time. spread your Protein intake thru the day. Your body cant absorb that much protein at a time.

And protein like anything else will deposit itself on your body as fat if it is not readily used. OR you will end up with the runs. 20-30 is all you should be having in ANY drink unless your a body builder.

I have a protien shake in the AM sometimes its a hot drink which is 15 gms sometimes my Matryx shake with I double scoop for 40.

A hamburger with out the bun is about 28 gms

Piece of chicken about the size of a deck of cards is about 20

It really isn'tthat hard.

I purchased Pro Complex powder by Optimum Nutrition. I got it at GNC. It's a lot of Protein - 60 g. - per serving, which is 2 scoops...but ya gotta be smart about stuff like that. I have 1/2 serving (1 scoop) for Breakfast or mid-morning snack in a glass of 1% milk, and then another scoop (1/2 serving) for dinner or after my workout in milk again. It's yummy, and I do that when I haven't eaten enough protein sources in the day. If I have, then I don't worry about the shake. I have only tried the chocolate and I really enjoy it.