Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else never thirsty except when eating?

I have not been thirsty a single time since surgery EXCEPT when eating or after until I drink... but I can't drink then so I have to wait. Once I drink I instantly lose my thirst. I keep forcing myself to drink. I have NO restriction against Water so I can drink plenty of it but I have no desire for it so it's kind of unpleasant to drink it... it's like my body is saying BLEH! I'm not thirsty!

I've taken to filling up a bunch of water and sitting it out to remind myself to drink. I know getting enough water is an issue for many bandsters but I was curious if thirst was mostly gone in the same way for others. It's very strange... :lol: I'll just keep reminding myself to hydrate between meals to try and keep myself in a good hydration range.

My thirst pretty much stayed the same, but I find it harder to get my Water in because of having to sip it. I used to guzzle my water and be done with it several times a day, so constatly sipping is taking some getting used to.

I have to remind myself to drink also. I fill up my water bottle at work and keep it out to remind myself. I am diabetic and never had the thirst problem most diabetics have. I know that I dont get enough Water but I am trying.

I'm never thirsty until i eat either. Sometimes I have to cheat and have a couple sips because I'm so thirsty. I try to carry around bottled Water, because if i have it in my hands i know i'm more likely to sip on it.

It's funny- I have had the exact opposite problem! For the first two months after surgery I was ALWAYS thirsty. I never felt like I could get hydrated. This has lessened a little now that I am almost three months out from surgery. It may be because I am from Arizona and it is very dry here so it is easy to get thirsty! I don't know where you are from. From what I hear it is really important to stay hydrated, so try to drink even if you don't feel like it. I am sorry you are having trouble wanting to drink - that would be hard.

Since my band, I am never thirsty even when eating. This is a drastic change. I have seen the time where I could suck up a 32 oz. tea like nothing and still want more. Now, I have to make myself drink and alot of days I do not make my goal. Of course I know that is not good but I just can't do it. I keep Water, diet tea, Crystal Light etc. at home and take to work. I take a few sips and then it is left with the ice melting in it. It's even harder when have to juggle the fluids around eating. My desire to drink is totally gone.

So does liquid back up if you don't just sip when drinking? I can down a ton no problem... of course, I don't think I have much restriction. I'm losing weight still so my doctor won't give me more fill yet. I'm curious what it's like drinking after you have good restriction. It doesn't sound very pleasant...

You know, now that I think of it, I'm the same way. I'm only thirsty when I can't be. All throughout the day I have a small glass of Water sitting on my desk, and by the end of the day there still is Water in there. Why is that? I know we have all been told to drink, drink, drink water, but I don't.

Debbie