Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So much revolves around eating

Hi....

I am having difficulty and I wanted to see if any of you are expereincing the same thing.....I am 11 days post-op so still have 19 more days of mushies food!

I am bored!!! It seems that everything revolves around food. My family says "Do you want to go to the movies?" Nope...popcorn! "Dave and Busters to play games?" Nope....drinks (which I miss tons). "Sports bar to watch the Cowboys....(loose...waaaaaa)?" Nope....too many temptations there. "Out to lunch or dinner? " You get my drift! I feel like I am stuck at home.

I am not sure I can stand it for 19 more days....I am going CRAZY!!!!! Any suggestions??

I liken it to a time when I was in college and thought I was pregnant...EVERY SINGLE COMMERCIAL on tv...and every article in magazines and every book I read had to do with pregnancy...

It's so hard those first few weeks..but you can do it!!! Go to those places (if you think you can) and know that you will RUIN everything if you give in to temptation...That's what I had to do to myself. I had to scare the poopers out of myself so I would tow the line...

Good luck!

rain

You can do all of those things, it just takes some planning. I go out to lunch and have Soup. This time of the year they usually have some nice hearty Soups. It does get easier....I promise! I unfortunately can get popcorn down!!! I just hate not drinking with it so I usually just have a couple of handfuls of my kids.

But you are right....it all does revolve around food now but once you adapt to you new life it will be about the game etc. not about the food! Sorry for the Cowboys loss....I really thought it would be Patriots Cowboys Superbowl!! I am a very big Pats fan.

Good luck with your band and it does get much much easier!!

I never thought I'd say this, but it will go faster than you expect. I move on to soft foods starting Wednesday and when I first started 2 weeks ago I thought it would never get here... and here it is. The post op food restrictions are the pits and very hard to get through, but hang in there and you will get through them.

Go out and eat. There are usually mushy items on the menu. Soups, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, or baked sweet potatoes that can be mashed, refried Beans, soupy beans, polenta, etc.

You can also request most items be sent through the blender. Just tell them you've recently had surgery and have to have a soft diet. I've had them whiz up clam choweder to get rid of the rubbery chunks. :eek:

Wendy Rae, what you are going through is completely natural. This is why we got to the state we are in as before we'd have gone to all these places and ate to our hearts content lol. Now you have to go through a stage of "mourning" and say good bye to the large platefulls you once had and a big hello to what will become your new way of life.

What got me through it was swimming....I used to go to get the endorphins going which made me feel better and I used to swallow that much Water I felt fuller anyway!!!!! Try and fing something to do to take your mind off the food.....walk the dog, read a book, make dinners for others (ouch!!) but you will get through this and look back and laugh. Make yourself some yummy Soups so at least the food you're thinking about is yours!!!

Good luck.....you will come out the other side....promise!!

I never get popcorn at the movies.. usually just a drink.. but, perhaps you can get a small Icee... it's like a small frozen treat and I believe it would be considered liquid. I know several theaters that serve them. I'm not a big fan of the popcorn, so I can't relate to that temptation luckily. To save money I prefer to not buy any food items there. Too dang expensive now.

I think one of the biggest shocks is how much food has been integrated into our lives, our habits, our activities, celebrations, depressions, and so on.

It is difficult to find rewards that don't involve going out to eat to Celebrate. I LOVE eating out. I would never cook again if I could get away with it. :smile:

I lived on mashed potatoes and various Soups because I was out of town for a week and 1/2 after my surgery. I had to go out for every meal and find something that I could eat. I was too terrified of hurting my band to deviate from what I could eat.

good luck to you - this stage will pass soon!

wombat

This will pass before ya know it.

Go out to lunch, have a mushy.. get a bowl of mashed potatoes with gravy and mix it together. Get a bowl of Soup, and don't eat the chunks in it. That's what I did!

And I personally HAVE to have popcorn when I go to movies, hah.. but, you could just not eat popcorn and enjoy the movie!