Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings! Not too obese--need advice

Hello All!

I am 5'4'', weigh about 195 (give or take a couple of pounds) and have a BMI of 34. Medically, I'm considered obese, but I'm a size 14 and may not look it to most people. I was fairly thin, weighing 135, until my first pregnancy. Got up to 200 lbs and never really lost that much (my son is now almost 8 years-old). I'm considering the Lap-Band surgery, but have heard that it works better with very obese patients. How true is this? Also, I'm sure the doctors should take into consideration that I have high blood pressure (which was NEVER an issue until this past year) and I experience knee and lower back pain. Also, it's uncomfortable for me to walk at a steady pace for an extended period of time or even go up and down the stairs in my home. I've tried several diets, but they've failed me. I feel terrible because I just don't have the energy to keep up with my very active son. Sure, I could exercise, which I've done in the past, but it just takes so much out of me.

Are there any of you out there that were (or are currently) severely obese who've had the Lap-Band surgery or are considering it? Also, I don't have medical insurance and am wondering if any of you may know of any reputable surgeons who don't charge an arm and a leg for this procedure.

Thank you. :smile:

Christy

I'm 5'4.5" and I weighed 209 when I went in for my consult appointment (my BMI was 35.1). The doc said I was a perfect candidate. My insurance begged to differ. I had to file an appeal which took months to assemble and during that time I gained up to 225 (with clothes). Once I filed the appeal, I included the new BMI and I was approved.

If you don't have an insurance company to fight with, then it's your decision. I too was thin when I was young, but then after my first child I struggled ever since. I got tired of starting new diets and failing. It got so bad, I wouldn't even start a diet because I already knew how it would end.

I'm happy with my decision to get banded and feel like it's jut the tool I needed to go all the way!

Good luck to you.

Are there any of you out there that were (or are currently) severely obese who've had the Lap-Band surgery or are considering it?
Yes.

What you've heard is pretty much the opposite of the "going" talk. People who are morbidly or super morbidly obese are generally steered toward the RnY or other malabsorptive procedure, while those with lower BMIs are generally steered toward restrictive procedures.

I agree with that, but I think this thought process wil change. The new Realize band by Johnson and Johnson will make gastric banding a household word. In our practice we do only bands and have banded BMI's of 85 (I saw him last week and he is happy and doing great)

That's good to hear. I hate hearing about people who want the band, yet have their surgeons try to talk them out of it.

Christy where are you located. I maybe able to help you out.

From my experience if your BMI is 30 or above you are not to thin for the band. Under 30 is between you and the Dr.

You can PM me if you'd like more info.