Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone doing Atkins after getting a lapband?

When I did lose weight in the past, the diet I preferred the most was an Atkins type of diet.

Protein, veggies but I did eat the fat. If I eat salad, I prefer full fat dressings and I do like mayo on my protein such as coldcuts.

Does anyone eat this way and still lose?

Marieze

I am starting phase 1 of South Beach to jumpstart my weight loss after plateauing. On the food threads there are forums about Atkins more specifically.

Generally, I prefer to eat a more balanced diet with fruits and whole grains.

But, hey what ever works for you, more power to you.

So for those of you that responded and are doing Atkins or other lc, can I assume then that you are eating fats like olive oil, mayo, salad dressing?

Also, are your portions still very small and being controlled by the band?

I'm asking because like I said, I believe above, I did Atkins and lost but then hit a plateau because I think my portions were huge.

I could see myself sticking to something like that and eating small portions which are limited by the band.

Do you think that would be reasonable? Also, so many people say that things like steak (meat in general) and chicken are hard to get down. Doesn't that limit your lc choices?

Marieze

So for those of you that responded and are doing Atkins or other lc, can I assume then that you are eating fats like olive oil, mayo, salad dressing?

I'm asking because like I said, I believe above, I did Atkins and lost but then hit a plateau because I think my portions were huge.

I could see myself sticking to something like that and eating small portions which are limited by the band.

Do you think that would be reasonable? Also, so many people say that things like steak (meat in general) and chicken are hard to get down. Doesn't that limit your lc choices?

Marieze

I think it's very reasonable! Things like mayo helps keep you satiated so even though they are a lot of calories if you follow the rules of atkins it's a great way to lose weight. The fresher and moister the meat the easier it is to go down. Don't overlook tuna and mayo - very satisfying and healthy and easy to eat. You're correct, with the right restriction you can easily stick to it and eat smaller portions. goodluck!

Marieze

I do my own version of Atkins. Low carbs, adequate Protein. I eat all the veggie carbs I want. I do use full fat dressings/mayo, it makes tuna slide down easier.

I started out with low fat/no fat and that didn't work. My skin was dry, food was horrible. Changed to full fat everything and I lost weight with no problem. But for me the key was cutting out all white carbs. I eat as much as I want in good carbs.

LC/Atkins has been the best way for me to lose weight of any amount pre band, it also helped my PCOS.... so I am a FIRM believer in that WOE... post band I still believe I would lose faster if I went strict LC (induction levels) but since I eat so much less now.. I figure I can go a little higher on the carb count, like milk. I love milk. Atkins, it would be a little high on my 20 carb a day count but since I focus on Protein a glass a day doesn't hurt me.......

The easiest thing is that now it is not a struggle to control portion sizes, but sadly the carb monster still attacks!

I don't follow the Atkins plan because of its extraordinarly high fat intake, I personally don't believe it's healthy. (Neither did my former gallbladder, which first went awry while I was following the induction phase for about 18 months).

But I do count my carbs. Most days I stick to around 20 - 50. I don't limit myself, if I want something I have it, but I keep it in the back of my head.

You can eliminate anything from your diet, and lose weight. Carbs, fats, sugars, Proteins... you name it. For me, it's about what's sustainable. I could easily lose weight on Atkins. I could never maintain it. That's why I focus mostly on a well-balanced diet, and if I stress over anything, it's calories.

I Think I Will Follow A Form Of Atkins Of South Beach Until I Am Down To Goal. I Will Always Have To Watch My Carbs. But Everyone Has Their Weakness. That Is Usually Where They Need To Cut Back. So If You Really Eat Too Much Fat That My Be The Thing You Need To Watch. I Think No Matter How You Do It No Ones Example Is Perfect For Anyone Else. We Just Use The Best Tips From Everyone.

No more fad diets for me! I follow the bandster rules and the guidance from my nutritionist. I got the band to stop doing the fad diets and yo-yo dieting. Think about it.

No more fad diets for me! I follow the bandster rules and the guidance from my nutritionist. I got the band to stop doing the fad diets and yo-yo dieting. Think about it.

Atkins can be a way of life. It is for me. I don't do induction stages, but I do watch carb intake. I just don't feel well if I eat a lot of carbs.

I eat a no white carb, adequate Protein diet. That is considered Atkins and actually, it's quite healty. Not a fad diet at all.