Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there any other newbies on Clear & Full Liquids

Hello everyone and let me start by thanking everyone for their posts. This site is what gave me the courage to opt for the banding.

I have read so many posts regarding the liquid stage of the diet but have yet to find anyone who is on a Clear and Full liquid diet like the one my doctor has me on. I do understand all the individual preferences the doctors follow but I am really looking for an ally :) I guess you could say. I started a Clear & Full Liquid Diet 2 days prior to surgery. I was banded January 9, 2008 at 7:30am and was home by 2:00pm and that included a 45 minute commute! Below is a sample of my diet:

Breakfast - 2 oz cream of wheat - 2 oz sugar-free blended yogurt -

2 oz diluted juice - 2 oz skim milk with no sugar-added Carnation Instant Breakfast

lunch - 3 oz strained low fat cream Soup - 3 oz sugar-free Gelatin -

2 oz skim milk - 1 scoop Protein Powder

dinner - 2 oz strained cream soup (does not say low fat) - 2 oz sugar-free blended yogurt - 2 oz sugar-free gelatin - 1 scoop Protein powder

No Caffeine or Carbonated beverages

Drink at least 64oz of Fluid per day to prevent dehydration

Since the diet consists of 24 oz of fluids above; I must get in 40 oz throughout the day by aiming for 1/2 cup of liquids every 30 minutes during waking hours.

Is there anyone out there whose diet is remotely close to mine?:smile: I almost forgot, maybe the reason he has me on this diet is because he does not believe in the pureed Stage and skips directly to the Soft food Stage.

weight.png

Yes - I was banded 01/04 and my best friend was also banded back in November. Our doc requires 2 weeks of clear & full liquids, followed by 1 week of puree's and then 1 week of softs. So I'm still in the clear & full liquid stage. I did have mashed potatoes once cuz I was very, very hungry (to the point of stomach growling) but I just went very slow and only had about 3/4 cup.

Also, our doc does not consider Cream of Wheat to be a full liquid. I think that is technically a puree...so you are lucky! I have my 2 week post-op appt. on the 16th (Wed.) so I'm going to see if I get the go-ahead to begin purees and/or soft foods.

I'm really very hungry and I would just love to chew something. I miss chewing. I can't believe you've already lost 13 pounds after only 3 days post-op?!?? What the heck are you doing? I've lost 13 and I'm 10 days post-op and I'm on the same diet as you almost. :welldoneclap:

I too was banded on the 9th. I sure wish I had your diet. Mine consists of 2 oz of Protein Shake every hour on the hour. And then 1 oz of clear liquid--broth, water-jello--every 15 min, while awake. It's pretty hard. But it will bw worth it.

Hi MamaJava and LDNurse,

Nice to meet someone on the same diet and someone banded the same day. I am not hungry at all. I can barely get a total of 5 oz of the diet down. I have been getting the Protein down and living on sugarless popsicles, 2 to 3 a day. I was so lightheaded last night that I figured I was losing too fast (if there is such a thing LOL) so I weighed myself this morning and I was down 12 lbs! The two days I was on clear & full liquids I lost 1.5 lbs. It should slow down now though because I am really forcing myself to eat the whole 8 oz of food per meal. It took be over an hour and I still fell short but getting there.

I agree LD, will definitely be worth it.

Good luck at your appt. MamaJava.

weight.png

255.5 254 242 175

Pre-Op 2 days/Surgery/Current/Goal

Banded January 9, 2008

Dr. Ervin Denham

Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Illinois

I haven't been hungry, but today, I'd like to have an apple. I settled for 1 oz of apple juice instead. I've been a little discouraged because I had gained 4 lbs at the hospital. Figured out it was all of the IV fluids. But still...it's starting to come off a little now though. But 12 lbs!!!!That's great!!!!Good job!!!! It makes it all worth it.

I had my surgery on the 11th, and I'm really sick of slim-fast every morning and chicken broth for lunch and dinner. So today I decided to get Whon-Ton Soup. It's clear broth, just don't eat the noddles. So, I guess I'm finding ways to have different things. I'm on a one week liquid, one week, thicker liquids, 1 week soft, and then back to whatever I feel like having. It's really hard, but I'm looking forward to the soft foods stage.

I had surgery 12/31 and I am still on the liquid diet. Tonight is the first night that I am going crazy. My family must ate pizza, and I wanted a piece so bad! I didn't eat one because I can't but I sure wanted to. I get to move up to puree' foods in the AM, and I am a little excited!! I went to the Doctor on 1/9/08, 9 days post op and had lost 14.5 pounds so I am obviously doing what I am suppose to. I just wanted to say, I REALLY WANTED THAT PIZZA!!!! But I am sooo PROUD of ME!!

Hello, I just wanted to tell you that I was banded the same day as Lauren. 1/11/08. I am also the same exact weight as you. I wanted to tell you good luck!!

I was banded on Christmas eve, but also had a huge hiatal hernia repaired. My surgeon always is on the side of caution, and I think because of the hernia needing to repair (I had a ton of extra stitches and also had to have some work on stomach) that I did not get to go from full liquids to pureed food until Jan. 10. I now have to have pureed food for 2 weeks, and then I can move forward.

I have had times where I was "starving" (not really-but my stomach was non stop growling!) I added more protien and that helped tremendously!

It is nice to see others are walking this path as well!

I'm on full liquids now. Here's what I've had today

4 oz Peach soy baby yogurt- Breakfast

fat free sugar free chocolate pudding cup-snack

Optima Slim Fast shake (about 1/2's all I could stomach)- lunch

full fat full sugar butterscotch pudding cup-snack

This part is so much better for me than the broth. If I never have to have any broth for the rest of my life, I will be okay!!

I thought I was going to die. I was absolutely starving, in fact I woke up from surgery hungry.

The only thing worse than clear liquids,,,,,no liquids. I'm waiting to go to the hospital (2.5 hours). Nothing by mouth today. so thirsty!!!