Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

extremely tight - months after fill

Hi all,

I had my last fill in about 3 months ago, and have been happy with my restriction. I haven't been too full (in fact, some days I can eat way to much) but have been losing about 1 lb a week and have been happy.

This last week I have been extremly tight. I've been PBing almost every day (and I've only done it twice before in the year since my surgery). I do have a cold and have been taking cold medicine, but nothing with anti inflamatories in it.

Help! Does anyone know why this is happening or what I could do to fix it? Is it maybe the cold medicine?

I appreciate any assistance you can provide. This is miserable!

~Lori

I have noticed that when I have cold/ sinus stuff going on, I am more restricted. Happened to me 3 times in December alone. I was hardheaded and didn't want to believe that was the issue so I continued to try and eat things I could normally eat. This caused extra PBing which caused more irritation and swelling.

You sound like me. Tight, but not too tight for an unfill...but when you get under the weather....the pipes get cut off.

I sipped Mt. Dew during those times as it was the only thing I didn't foam up.

I suggest waiting it out. Enjoy your favorite beverages through a straw and COLD...COLD as you can get 'em. I found the colder, the better when trying to keep down fluids.

Keep us posted!

I'm on maintenance, had a slight unfill and I foam up juice and pb'd yesterday. I do have a runny nose today....

pb'ing and not keeping anything down alerts me to the fact I'm getting sick.

I haven't had a fill in at least 8 months, and I'm tighter now than I was back when I got the fill. Thing that effect my restriction include barometric pressure/humidity changes, Water retention, what my sinuses are doing (this may just be competition for the stoma's attention!), etc.

I had a fill a week ago and could eat anything and everything all week until today. I was eating a hard boiled egg and it got stuck. It felt like I was have a heart attack but eventually passed after 10 minutes or so. Ever since I have only been able to eat small amounts very slowly. Man I didn't like that feeling (1st time I have experienced this in 7months).

I feel a tightening at least 2 weeks after a fill. Especially now that I am at the upper limits of fills in my 4.0 band. I am at 3.2.

Things that make me tighter:

1. stress
  2. when I am nervous
  3. PMS
  4. the car (for some strange reason)
  5. travel (for some reason)
  6. altitude changes
  7. certain foods

Basically, lots of things that I have noticed and taken notice of. Some people say our bands have a mind of their own. I am thinking they are right.

When I am feeling miserable (as you described), and that is very seldom, I drink some hot Water and take it easy.

Thank you all! I am finally getting over this cold, and have been able to keep stuff down. I was really freaking out that I had somehow done something to my band :pray2: I'll know next time I get a cold to stock up on items that are easy to sneak through!

~Lori

The same thing happened to me and my doctor described it like this: Sometimes the band will automatically tighten due to the stomach lining thickening around the band. For that reason, I had to take out at least .3 to be able to hold down solids again. I would go for a slight unfill.