Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize band

I have a quick question for Isuza, and this is not meant as an attack -- it is a genuine question/concern:

I was recently banded with the APS band. The AP band has baffles, or what I think you refer to as reservoirs. You pointed out that the Realize band essentially forms an irregular triangle when filled, and that this shape causes creases on the surface of the band's bladder. But are the AP band's baffles essentially separated by creases? I'm a little worried because if there is so much concern about creases, I would think that the AP band now has a minimum of seven creases. What do you think?

I’ve been following the many posts about the merits of the Inamed vs. the Realize lap band. And, for a few days, I found it a bit disconcerting to have the Realize band trashed so vehemently by one poster. I thought, “Oh my goodness, do I have “a hunk of junk” in my belly!” How could that be? I certainly had taken my time in choosing the type of bariatric surgery that would be best for me, and I had been very diligent in finding a highly competent and experienced lap band surgeon. Because there is a learning curve that goes along with doctors honing their skills at implanting the band, I wanted a surgeon who had successfully completed a zillion lap bands. I wanted a surgeon who had excellent stats in regards to lap band complications. After an extensive search, I found a doctor who had completed over 1200 lap band procedures (not quite a zillion), had excellent lap band complication stats, was selected as a Proctor for both the Inamed and the Realize bands, and practiced in a Center of Excellence.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>

Although I had seen both the Realize and the Inamed bands up close and personal, I, not being an engineer of medical technology, could not discern which band might function better. It didn’t make much sense for me to choose a band based upon which one was most esthetically pleasing to me. However, if the band were to be placed around my neck instead of my stomach (and thus be visible to those around me), I might have felt more inclined to offer my opinion as to which band should be used. No… instead I deferred to my doctor to make that decision. You know, the one whom I had so carefully chosen because of his competence and experience and amazing complication stats.

I don’t really think that my doctor is going to risk his superb medical reputation, or put his excellent complication stats in jeopardy by putting ‘a hunk of junk’ in my belly. He uses the Inamed and the Realize band because he believes BOTH to be excellent bands.

Isn’t it great that we the consumers have two companies making quality bands. Because of the competition among band manufacturers, we are likely to see further improvements on lap band technology.

Oh yes, today I had my first fill at my doctor’s office. It was so exciting to see my Realize band on the fluoroscope screen and see the barium slowly moving through the band. It was comforting to see my Realize band functioning perfectly. And, I must say, my Realize band is also esthetically pleasing to me.

Nicely stated, Lee. You're under the care of a quality surgeon and your "tool" is doing what it's supposed to do. Congratulations!

Wasabubblebut- If telling everyone you have a "new" band when it came out in 1985 by putting in a new box and renaming it, comparing clinical trials of inexperienced vs experienced physicians and old vs new placement techniques, claiming your band is 43% vs 36% as effective as the Lap Band when in reality its 43% vs 62% as effective as the LapBand, then your right J&J is very ethical.

Jpet - Unlike the Realize Band, The LapBadnd AP is specifically designed to reduce creasefold failure - Those indentations prevent the band from creasing on itself. You have the most advanced technology available in the US for banding on your stomach - be happy you didn't get suckered into being a ginnue pig for the Realize Band so the surgeon can "see if it's equal" or not because there's no clinical data to support it being "excellent"

lee41 - The placement technique for placing the Inamed band is similiar but your doctor had to have been proctored himself and implant 25 bands before he became a proctor. If it were me, Id much rather use a product a doctor has implanted 1200 of vs 25 of.

Since the Realize Band has only been available for implant in the US a few months - please ask your doctor what criteria he used to determine them both being "excellent" I would also ask him explain how he determines who gets old technology vs new technology. There are several physicians who I have contacted who have stopped using the Realize Band because they feel it's inferior in design and behind the ball in technology. Also keep in mind, any doctor who proctors for both companies is a whore, period. They are paid $5,000 per proctoring event from each company. If they are too blind to see the differences in these two products they either are rationalizing it or don't care enough to learn why Allergan has made 3 modifications to this product since it was introduced to provide better weight loss outcomes. ALL Allergan sells is the band in their Allergan Health Medical Division. Unlike J&J who has been bashing the band for years in the US order to sell staplers and equipment for Gastric Bypass, while promoting it outside the US as the best thing ever as the Swedish Band. Now that the FDA has approved it, suddenly banding is a good weight loss solution because Allergan has taken 30-40% Market Share of Bariatric procedures away from the market. They can use the Realize Band to "round out there portfolio" even though it's an inferior product.

Look if it's already in you it's too late, just make the best of it and do the best you can. If it erodes in 3-5 years or if the doctor uses the Velocity Port Applier and the port slips which there's a 15% chance it will, your insurance will cover the cost of a new band. Don't feel bad, but next time get second opinions and don't talk to only1 doctor. Medicine is a business and these docs get thousands of dollars for each procedure- as sad as it is they are not all ethical, that's just the way of the world.

I am tempted to wait for the Fourth Generation Allergan Band because it will be significantly better but there a few years away so Im gonna move forward with the AP.

Isuza,

Thanks so much for letting people know that there is an improved product in the works. Waiting might be the best thing to do if some are concerned about what needs to be improved about these contraptions.

Hope all goes well. Where are you having your surgery? Who is your surgeon?

Every posting by Isuza--previously known as Redstar et al -- is focused on condemning the Realize band. There are no postings about any other subjects. I do not know this person's motives, but the emotional tone and defamatory language alerted me to be wary. If you have questions about the bands, do independent research, and definitely talk to your surgeon and medical team. Staying POSITIVE is crucial to our recovery. Best to us all!

Im not condemning anything - every single thing I have stated I have document clinical proof and have thoroughly researched - maybe the truth hurts

Isuza,

I'm sure that was an oversight, but you didn't post the links to those studies.

You are such a caring person. I plan to call a couple of my friends who are in the process of getting bands to recomend that they wait until Allergan corrects the issue that needs correcting with this next generation band.

I'd like for them to look at the studies. But what would be really helpful would be if you could provide a link about what that next generation LapBand needs to correct so they'll know what they are getting into if the have one put in now. That's awesome that you have researched that so thoroughly.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Please remember that ALL of the lapbands that are FDA approved have been shown to aid in the loss of weight. Regardless of the model, the band is a TOOL that helps with weight loss but does not guarantee it. You still have to monitor caloric intake, exercise, and make a conscious decision to change maladaptive patterns.

While strong opinions are fine, it should be remembered that this is a support forum and people who have the new J&J band should not be made to feel that they were foolish for listening to their surgeons' advice and getting it.

It is not appropriate to label surgeons who use both bands as "whores" so please carefully read over your words before you post them. You have made your preference for the VG band and your dislike of the J&J quite clear. Let's refrain from personal attacks. Thank you.

The next generation band is not a correction - it's wireless and electronic - NO ports. Do a google search for "Easyband" Allergan has bought that company and is bringing that technology here - pending FDA approval and studies.

The studies are printed in peer reviewed medical journals - i will provide the journal name of the Journals over the next few days.

I didn't say surgeons who use both bands are whores- Surgeons who proctor and take $5000 from each company per event are which was what I was saying. I'll refrain from voicing that opinion but it is what it is.