Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Following my own advice -- :(

I swore I wouldn't weigh myself except at the doctor's office. If I had done this, here's how my journey would have gone:

Initial consultation: 228

Pre-op visit: 226 -- down 2 pounds! ;)

One-week post-op visit: 218.5 -- down 7.5 pounds! ;)

Four-week post-op visit: 212.5 -- down 6 pounds! :(

Nine-week post-op visit (projected): 208 -- down 4.5 pounds! :D

Instead, this is what happened:

Pre-op visit: 226 -- down 2 pounds! :)

One-week post-op visit: 218.5 -- down 7.5 pounds! :)

Three weeks post-op (at home): 208 -- down 10.5 pounds! :D

Four-week post-op visit: 212.5 -- up 4.5 pounds! ;)

Five-week post-op (at home): 207 -- down 5.5 pounds! :)

Six, seven, eight weeks post-op (at home): 212, 215, 213, 211, etc., all of which are over 207. :frown:

Nine-week post-op visit (projected): 208 -- still one pound more than 207. ;)

Instead of feeling successful, I feel like I've gained weight!

Here's what I'm going to do -- I'm going to move the scales to an inconvenient location (rather than my bathroom!) and I'm not touching them again! At least, not until I'm in maintenance. If that doesn't work, I'll have my husband hide them in his shop. :)

It can be frustrating watching the scales... all good when you are going down but off putting when you go the other way. I'm keeping away from them at the moment.

Longhorn I too said no weighing except at the Dr's office and I began weighing at the club as soon as I started to go back and BOOM Dec 27th no weight loss until yesterday 1 more pound gone.

It really had me depressed, now I feel better that it is starting again, but I feel I should stop weighing too, and everyone tells me I should.

It is hard, we see the scale as our ultimate validation that what we are doing is working. I know it is working I feel it in my clothes, and my ablitiy to move, I can actually do 60 minutes of Water aerobics and NOT feel like I am dying....LOL

I can climb two flights of stairs and still have the energy to walk on the treadmill 3 miles!!

These are things we should be monitoring, not the scale!! So hard to do though I know!!

Hang in there Lady we will overcome it!!!

Being aware that there is a problem is the first step to fixing it. I have continued with WW because it's away of keeping myself accountable.

Being aware that there is a problem is the first step to fixing it. I have continued with WW because it's away of keeping myself accountable.

I agree this is why i weigh myself every monday . I dont count "gains" unless its there for 3 days in a row. Why you might ask ? with the way a womans body is and Water weight and hormones its so up and down .

So gaines I dont count unless the same number is there for 3 days !

Mindy

I swore I wouldn't weigh myself except at the doctor's office. If I had done this, here's how my journey would have gone:

Pre-op visit: 226 -- down 2 pounds! :wink:

Four-week post-op visit: 212.5 -- down 6 pounds! :)

Nine-week post-op visit (projected): 208 -- down 4.5 pounds! :)

Instead, this is what happened:

Pre-op visit: 226 -- down 2 pounds! :)

Three weeks post-op (at home): 208 -- down 10.5 pounds! :D

Four-week post-op visit: 212.5 -- up 4.5 pounds! :smile:

Five-week post-op (at home): 207 -- down 5.5 pounds! :)

Six, seven, eight weeks post-op (at home): 212, 215, 213, 211, etc., all of which are over 207. :myscared:

Nine-week post-op visit (projected): 208 -- still one pound more than 207. :redface:

Instead of feeling successful, I feel like I've gained weight!

Here's what I'm going to do -- I'm going to move the scales to an inconvenient location (rather than my bathroom!) and I'm not touching them again! At least, not until I'm in maintenance. If that doesn't work, I'll have my husband hide them in his shop. :)

YOu are the ONLY person I know that had a projected weight loss plan BEFORE you started this ! LOL You set yourself up for disappointment by doing that to yourself hon !

I know its the math teacher in you . But ya gotta stop expecting so much or expecting anything . Take it as it comes.

I Weight myself to see what i need to do . If i gain I work out . If im loosing I either work out or i Dont .

but i think the " Plan" before hand really set you up for failure before you started .

HTH

Mindy

YOu are the ONLY person I know that had a projected weight loss plan BEFORE you started this ! LOL You set yourself up for disappointment by doing that to yourself hon !

I know its the math teacher in you . But ya gotta stop expecting so much or expecting anything . Take it as it comes.

I Weight myself to see what i need to do . If i gain I work out . If im loosing I either work out or i Dont .

but i think the " Plan" before hand really set you up for failure before you started .

HTH

Mindy

I think you're misunderstanding a bit. My "plan" was to do exactly what you suggested -- to relax and see what happens. I steered away from that plan when I started weighing myself because it shifted my focus to only one aspect of my life since the surgery.

The only reason I put a "projected" weight for this Friday is that I figure that's a reasonable guess as to what I'll be in order to finish making my point, not what I "plan" to be. And I haven't even thought about what I expect to be at any given time. The graph in my signature makes a projection based on my average weight loss so far but I don't really pay any attention to the actual date -- it just makes me feel good that slants down and ends in 2008! But I've used that tracking graph when I lost weight before and the projection jumped all over the place so that's why I don't really pay it much attention.

No, my disappointment comes from not seeing a loss -- if it was .25 pounds a day, I would be happy! And when I weigh every day it does not make me accountable -- to what or to whom? I've yet to see a connection to what I did the day before. I've exercised and barely eaten and saw a gain. I've eaten more than I should and sat around all day and saw a loss. So how does that hold me accountable? I wouldn't argue with anyone who says it helps him or her -- I just know that it doesn't help me.

I trust this process and I know I will lose eventually. So I just need to be patient, quit weighing myself daily and then, in all probability, I will only see losses.

Frankly, I'm beginning to wonder whether it is good for me to participate in these challenges that crop up here on the board. The fact is, I can't control how quickly I lose weight (or I'd be done by now! :smile: ) So what's the point of the challenge? I might as well challenge myself to grow my hair an inch by Valentine's Day! :myscared:

I think you're misunderstanding a bit. My "plan" was to do exactly what you suggested -- to relax and see what happens. I steered away from that plan when I started weighing myself because it shifted my focus to only one aspect of my life since the surgery.

The only reason I put a "projected" weight for this Friday is that I figure that's a reasonable guess as to what I'll be in order to finish making my point, not what I "plan" to be. And I haven't even thought about what I expect to be at any given time. The graph in my signature makes a projection based on my average weight loss so far but I don't really pay any attention to the actual date -- it just makes me feel good that slants down and ends in 2008! But I've used that tracking graph when I lost weight before and the projection jumped all over the place so that's why I don't really pay it much attention.

No, my disappointment comes from not seeing a loss -- if it was .25 pounds a day, I would be happy! And when I weigh every day it does not make me accountable -- to what or to whom? I've yet to see a connection to what I did the day before. I've exercised and barely eaten and saw a gain. I've eaten more than I should and sat around all day and saw a loss. So how does that hold me accountable? I wouldn't argue with anyone who says it helps him or her -- I just know that it doesn't help me.

I trust this process and I know I will lose eventually. So I just need to be patient, quit weighing myself daily and then, in all probability, I will only see losses.

Frankly, I'm beginning to wonder whether it is good for me to participate in these challenges that crop up here on the board. The fact is, I can't control how quickly I lose weight (or I'd be done by now! :smile: ) So what's the point of the challenge? I might as well challenge myself to grow my hair an inch by Valentine's Day! :myscared:

Your right I must have misunderstood you . I started out weighting every day and it got frustrating . From seeing the scale not move for a day or 2 to seeing a gain for a day . That's when I Started to just do it on Mondays.

Maybe once a week is still too much but it helps me be accountable to ME to know what i need to work on . If im gaining then i know i need to walk more . are you tracking what your eating also ? are you getting in enough calories ?

The challenges I dont do on here. I do them on the other board Im on they are small like loose 5lbs in a month. Just to try to keep me motivated.

You seem frustrated. I hope your not . It will work , it will come .

Keep it up

Mindy

Hi, Mindy.

I'm only frustrated with myself for giving into the frequent weighing. :smile: Oh, sure, I'd love to be losing as quickly as some. As helpful as this board is, the down side can be reading about others gushing about how the weight is falling off when it isn't happening to me. And I know I'm not losing because I don't have restriction yet, because I had a low BMI to begin with, and because I'm perimenopausal and having periods that last two weeks and come every two weeks. :eek:

I have small NSVs every day and when I'm not weighing myself, I appreciate them more. I posted this thread to "come clean" about my dirty little habit. :)

I was thinking last night as I was going to sleep that weighing once a week would probably be fine for me. However, I'm such a slow loser that even once a week might show very little progress. Since I go in Friday for my next fill, I'm at least going to weight till then. If I can feel any change in restriction, I might weigh weekly but if it doesn't feel any different, I might as well wait until my next appointment.

Thanks for your counsel! You know I value your input and you've set a great example! :clap:

Hi, Mindy.

I'm only frustrated with myself for giving into the frequent weighing. :smile: Oh, sure, I'd love to be losing as quickly as some. As helpful as this board is, the down side can be reading about others gushing about how the weight is falling off when it isn't happening to me. And I know I'm not losing because I don't have restriction yet, because I had a low BMI to begin with, and because I'm perimenopausal and having periods that last two weeks and come every two weeks. :wink:

I have small NSVs every day and when I'm not weighing myself, I appreciate them more. I posted this thread to "come clean" about my dirty little habit. :)

I was thinking last night as I was going to sleep that weighing once a week would probably be fine for me. However, I'm such a slow loser that even once a week might show very little progress. Since I go in Friday for my next fill, I'm at least going to weight till then. If I can feel any change in restriction, I might weigh weekly but if it doesn't feel any different, I might as well wait until my next appointment.

Thanks for your counsel! You know I value your input and you've set a great example! :eek:

I dont think you see that you ARE losing at quickly as some. Your average wieght loss per week is average. But I totally understand about the weigh ins . My friend has the same band as you and she just now is feeling restriction ( she was banded after you ) and has been a bit frustrated up until this point too. She felt like she had not band with out the restriction.

Let me know how the weigh in and the appt goes.

Have not talked to you for a while .:clap:

Mindy

Longhorn: I believe that you are correct that people who lower BMI's will not see the dramatic weight loss the those of us who were way over 40BMI's are. I think that when you have less to lose it will come of slower, just because you are more healthy to begin with.

I believe metabolism is a funny thing, there are many things that cause it to burn fast or trickle to a stand still. I also believe that the older we are the harder it is to keep that burn up.......we have to work that much harder. Over 40 is even worse.....:smile: I see the younger women here where it seems like it just rolls off of them.

Still I think that I was told it may be 12 months to 18 months before I would reach my goal, by my surgeon. I know you also have the same attitude that I do in this, PATIENCE is what will get us there.

Don't be so hard on yourself about giving in......we all are human and have weakness......I am glad you gave into weighing and not eating half a chocolate cake.....LOL!!

Hugz dear!:)

Sometimes i think people look at others weight loss and say " WOW " That is SO Much your loosing so much more than myself. But if you figure in the "average" weight loss per week its "Average" or even closer to their own.

I have a friend who was like "Im loosing so slow this is not working , you have lost so much i dont get it " I figured our her average weight loss per week is was the same as mine " we are ALL so much harder on our selves.

I dont see that much of a change in myself as others do even after 62 pounds! But others do . I dont see it yet.

Mindy

Hi, Mindy.

I'm only frustrated with myself for giving into the frequent weighing. :smile: Oh, sure, I'd love to be losing as quickly as some. As helpful as this board is, the down side can be reading about others gushing about how the weight is falling off when it isn't happening to me. And I know I'm not losing because I don't have restriction yet, because I

I know exactly what you mean about feeling disappointed with yourself when you see what others are doing. I feel that way myself. I guess it's part of the insecurity that we all have. I'm determined that I will get this weight off. I'm not perfect. There are days when I don't do so hot. I've had problems with retaining fluids, due to medications. I just feel this is all part of my journey. It may not be pretty, but it's all I got.

I've gotten where I won't look at what others are doing in the weightloss catagory. I just pay attention to me.

I also understand what you were saying about weighing in each day. It's better to not know all the ups and downs. That's why many weightloss plans advise to only weigh in once a week.

Big hugs girl!!! We will make it to goal!!!!

Frankly, I'm beginning to wonder whether it is good for me to participate in these challenges that crop up here on the board. The fact is, I can't control how quickly I lose weight (or I'd be done by now! :smile: ) So what's the point of the challenge? I might as well challenge myself to grow my hair an inch by Valentine's Day! :)

I think you may be right! However, you are doing great and have been such a great inspiration to me since I started my journey here. You always have a good attitude and I applaud your ability to be able to stay off the scales.

I do weigh myself every morning. I do this to help me stay on track. I think it more of for accountability. One thing I don't do is beat myself up if it is up or not going down fast enough. I just like to see it everyday and it helps me keep the mind set of staying on plan. On another note, I do really only judge my success when I go see my doctor. His scale is what I measure my success with.

We are in this for the long haul and this a life changing experience that must be looked at as a marathon and not a 5k. Hope I made sense.

Cindy

PS: Love reading your posts...you are an inspiration to me.

I think you may be right! However, you are doing great and have been such a great inspiration to me since I started my journey here. You always have a good attitude and I applaud your ability to be able to stay off the scales.

I do weigh myself every morning. I do this to help me stay on track. I think it more of for accountability. One thing I don't do is beat myself up if it is up or not going down fast enough. I just like to see it everyday and it helps me keep the mind set of staying on plan. On another note, I do really only judge my success when I go see my doctor. His scale is what I measure my success with.

We are in this for the long haul and this a life changing experience that must be looked at as a marathon and not a 5k. Hope I made sense.

Cindy

PS: Love reading your posts...you are an inspiration to me.

Thanks, Cindy! Your marathon analogy is right on! For me, weighing every day is like running a marathon and constantly checking to see how fast I'm going. Who cares how fast I'm going? There's no way I'm coming in first and my only goal is to finish! :clap: I don't even give my students timed tests because all I care about is what they know, not how fast they can tell me what they know. :smile:

I think it's time I step away from the scales and maybe even step away from the board, which is going to happen anyway with the start of the new semester tomorrow. I don't mean that I'm leaving but that I need to curtail my obsession a bit. The November 07 forum is my favorite, however, so I'll still check in here.

Thanks, Momto1plus1, Mindy, Kristin, and Sades for your comments and this enlightening discussion! :)