Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm back...and banded

I've been MIA since my surgery on Monday, my apologies. I hope everyone that has been banded thus far is doing well and best of luck to those going in this week!!

So let me run through my story with you all. I suck at writing in paragraph form, so just bear with me.

I arrived at the hospital at 1030am and was told surgery would be roughly around 12. Luckily, I wasn't made to change into the gown until it got closer to the time. I am not a fan of the gown and booty(both feet and derriere variety) look so I enjoy staying in my clothes as long as possible. Finally around 3pm the anesthesiologist came in and asked a bunch of questions. He was super nice and had quite a sense of humor, which always puts me at ease. Then the nurse anesthesist came in and asked more of the same questions. Then the OR nurse came in, asked more questions and told me I could put on the gown and the doc would be in within 20 minutes or so. The Doc came in and ran through what she'd be doing and how long it would take and went over what to expect afterwards and all that jazz. Then the nurse came in and told me we were ready. So I gave my mom a hug and kiss and off we walked to the OR. I hadn't been nervouse up until this moment. I've been in an OR before and I don't have a real fear of hospitals or anything, but there is just something about walking into that room and hopping up on that table for my own surgery kinda got me. The anesthesiologist was there and was making me laugh and then they were prepping me. The doc walked in and asked if I was ok. I told her that I was a little nervous now that I was all spread eagle for everyone and their grandma on the table. lol. She grabbed my hand and held it while they were starting the IV and such and kept saying such encouraging things to me. The doctor actually held my hand until I went under. I really thought that was sweet...I've had surgery before and I've never had a surgeon who really tried so hard to put me at ease and not rush me. Anyway...the next thing I know, I'm waking up in the Recovery Room. Some nurse is commenting that I'm southern and says that people always refer to him as southern...he was from SOUTHERN MARYLAND. I don't remember much, but I did explain he was not southern at all, Maryland is still a yankee state. lol. Then I hear them chart the time...it was now almost 8:30 at night! This disturbed me cause I went in shortly after 4 and they expected me out by 5:30 or 6pm. The Doc comes over and starts explaining something to me but I'm so out of it, I can't put it all together. She asked if I understood and I said No and told her to make sure to tell my mom.

Apparently once they got in, she repaired the hiatal hernia. I know this is common and was told that it was a possibility before the surgery. But in all honesty, I REALLY thought this wouldn't apply to me. I've never had acid reflux or indigestion or any of the other warning signs (and yes, I realize not EVERYONE has signs...but still). So she was putting a stitch in to repair the hernia and noticed all of the sudden this other portion of my esophagus began to balloon. Turns out that I had an esophageal hematoma. My surgeon had never seen anything like this before (leave it to me, to have something not seen before!). So the thing starts bleeding and they couldn't get it to stop. It finally did, and they continued to observe me for an hour. They injected some sort of dye to ensure that the internal bleeding had stopped.

So this caused some issues for post-op. I've had a DVT in the past so they had started me on Heparin. Now they were going to do blood tests every 3 hours to ensure no more internal bleeding. Meanwhile, if there was it would be made worse by the heparin. But there was no choice but to give me the blood thinner. Luckily all blood tests were good throughout the night.

I was moved to a Step Down Unit for the night. But my heartrate would get so high when I moved, they wouldn't allow me out of bed. Even though, I felt ok in the stomach area and wanted to start walking. In fact, they wouldn't even let me go to the bathroom and offered me a bed pan. I tried the best I could, but the bed pan was not going to work. So I was finally allowed a bathroom trip! Of course they measure evertime you void...my pee was BRIGHT, ELECTRIC GREEN! I asked the nurse if it was normal and told her to look. The shock on her face was priceless. It was NOT normal. I thought I was suddenly radioactive. lol. She called the doctor and that's when the dye was explained. The blue dye that was injected caused my urine to be green. Thank goodness that was all. STILL...5 days post-op, I'm still peeing like some jolly green giant. Also, I should mention that because of the esophagus fiasco I was not allowed ANY liquids....not even ice chips. Because I had to have another esophagram done. So I had been without liquids for something like 38 hours. I was dying for some ice water!

I was allowed to go home that next night, a little later than usual cause of the esophagram and the blood tests.

To be honest the pain in the abdomen/torso wasn't bad at all. Sure it was sore, but I didn't have any real problems getting out of bed or anything. I thought things were just dandy. Then all of the sudden after walking the halls for a bit on Tuesday...I get this major pain in my shoulder. It came on so fast and so severe I was caught off guard. I couldn't move my arm in a way to alleviate the pain. It brought tears to my eyes. Of course, they said it was referred pain from the gas...yadda yadda. It has not gone away! Well, I'm home and again, the stomach pain is fine. Sore when I laugh or cough. But the shoulder pain is still quite severe. I felt like I didn't need the pain meds so I just took some tylenol hoping that would help the shoulder. It didn't. I cannot believe how much it hurts. I have a pretty high pain tolerance (or so I've been told...I broke my ankle and insisted I could walk on it once) and I'm a little discouraged that I don't feel better than I do. Like I said, if it weren't for the shoulder pain, I'd be FANTASTIC! But the shoulder pain overwhelms me.

My question for you guys....How long does the shoulder pain tend to last? I know every body is different. But I've GOT to get some relief soon. I just can't believe everything else feels so good but Ihave this lingering.

The good news...I've not been hungry at all. I even had to ask the nurse if it was normal. I've been focusing on drinking Water to avoid getting dehydrated. And she encouraged me to eat a couple of tablespoons of something other than water...and that would be okay. So I've had some Soup off and on and a couple swigs of Slim Fast. But honestly, I'm just thrilled to be able to have water! lol.

And as for the stitches/scars. I'm pleased with how good they look through the steri-strips. I have very little bruising and the port incision looks so clean...very little bleeding. I had far worse brusing and such when I had my appendix removed laproscopically.

OH! As for that pre-op diet that nearly drove me insane the first week. It was well worth it...I had lost 20 pounds at the time of surgery. I've lost a couple more since then, but I've resisted the urge to weigh myself. Don't want to become too obsessed. lol.

Whew...so that's that. Everyone send their happy thoughts my way that this shoulder pain gets better!! I'm downright miserable.

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

Hi comepickmeup, glad to hear you are now at home and doing ok. I'm having mine on Tuesday, so I'm not far behind you. My worst fear is post-op nausea. As a nurse, my anaesthetist is going to get strict instructions for anti-emetics at the end of my surgery!

Hope your shoulder pain goes away soon,

Jen

Sounds like you had a bit of a rough run of things! I'm glad you are home and doing better and that the surgery is behind you. As for the shoulder pain... I had my surgery on Monday also and that is my only big complaint! The gas is miserable. It comes and goes for me but it does seem to be getting better each day. I've used Gas-X and a heating pad and they seem to help some. I hope it eases up for you soon.

Yikes! I am sorry you had such trouble. My Doc did a EGD exam last month to check for hernia prior to doing the lapband surgery. Also, to be scheduled for 12 and not be taken back until 4 is awful. Talk about high anxiety. I am glad you are OK, and home now. Keep us posted.

Wow! I am sure that it was not a great time but that is a great story. I would have paid to see the nurse's face when she saw the radioactive pee!! LMAO

Thanks for all the encouragement! I got out today and forced myself to walk around the block. The gas pain is still tremendous, but hopefully, it's coming to an end soon!

Greeneyez: I was fortunate and never got too nauseous. The first time I got up, I think the pain lended itself to me starting to feel a wee bit sick. Didn't want to chance it, so I asked for some anti-nausea medicine. Luckily, that did the trick. The key is just to stay on top of and ahead of the pain. And make sure you sip on the water!! Dehydration will only make you feel worse....but you know this. :smile:

Mamato: How's the gas pain for you today? I feel more gassy in my stomach today...so maybe it's working it's way out. lol. Who knew I'd ever be so excited to pass gas?!

Gingerbug: You look to the nurses to calm you in times like that...her expression sent me in a panic. lol. Green is my favorite color though, so at least if you're going to pee in color, might as well be one you like! Someday soon, I will be gas free and have yellow pee. Ahh, aimin' high in life. lol.

Thanks again for all the kind words everyone! Hope you all are doing well!

Hi Comepickmeup, Sorry you had some complications with your surgery and hope all is well with that now, but I laughed out loud at the green pee and the look on the nurses face. Being an ex nurse from way back it appealed to my sick sence of humour. I hope all the gas is coming out ok. My turn on Wednesday 16th so getting nervous now.

Saleel22

Hey, glad you got out of the house today!! My first day out for a walk after the surgery was last Saturday. IT took me from Monday to then to go out for that stroll.

I had broth and then some clam juice last night. MY parents had zuppa de clams, so I got some of the zuppa, (soup). IN any event, the shoulder pain started back up with a vengence, I guess I had too much liquid at one time. I used the heating pad last night and it worked very well.

Glad to hear everything is working out comepickmeup! You had me LOLing for real! It hurts me when I laugh(only banded 2 days after you), so shame on you for hurting me (jk)!

As far as I'm concerned, Maryland is a southern state because it's below the Mason Dixon line. My grandmother's from MD and she sure has a southern accent!

The gas pain has been the worse for me also. First was the gas pain from being blown up during surgery. Then it was the stomach gas pain of having nothing in my stomach/intestines.

The only way I could get the gas out was to take a laxative and it wasn't the most pleasant experience. I put heat on the shoulders even though that's not really where the pain is. I put heat on my

lower stomach, which is helping a lot. Also, Gas-X strips or Maalox Anti-gas work well. The shoulder pain will hopefully go away soon!

Each day will get better and better. I see how each day is a significant improvement from the day before!