Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The band and exercise

Hi all,

I just wanted to get some opinions on how many people who've been banded actually exercise as well? I know (from this site) that in addition to the band, many people diet, either WW or Jenny Craig or Atkins etc. But how many people are seeing success because of exercise too?

Also, who is just relying on the band alone? Meaning, no exercise or diet?

Any two sense would be appreciated.

Thanks

I exercise anywhere from 3 to 7 days a week depending on my schedule and commitments, and have done since about 6 weeks after I was banded. I attribute a lot of my success to having gotten up off my butt to exercise because I don't count calories or restrict carbs, or "diet" in any sense of the word. You can click on the link in my signature below to see the type of exercise I do, I've started it to keep track of and be accountable for my fitness and exercise.

I exercise. Picked it up at about 6 weeks post-op, as well. It's mostly just walking to burn calories. I walk as much as I can when I'm at work rather than driving around. It seems to help. On my days off, I make it a point to walk at least a mile.

But this next week I plan to pick up a few fitness classes at my local rec center. But a couple of them are more for relaxation (yoga, tai chi, etc). I think it'll be good for me to get out there with people to exercise. I like the way it feels now to move since I am 34.5 lbs lighter!

I'd also like to get into the Couch to 5k. I LOVE running, but I've been too big these past couple years to do it comfortably. My joints always got to hurting so much and it wasn't enjoyable like I remembered when I was at 170 and smaller.

I was banded on Nov. 26th and have put in 15-20 miles per week of jogging for the last three weeks. I haven't had any problems so far. Just can't wait to drop some more pounds so I can pick up the pace for some springtime 5-10ks.

since I started running about 3 months ago, it really has picked up my weightloss again.

I also have the bodybugg, which really really really has helped me lose.

Sweethot143,

What's a bodybugg?

i was banded 9/14/07 and roughly 4wks or so post-op i began walking around the neighborhood. i walked anywhere from 1-3miles a day, 2 to 3 times per week.

however, i have recently stepped it up. i'm on the 2008 Challenge of "A Year of Miles", 365 miles and i have 365 days to accomplish it.

i do my "Year of Miles" on an elliptical, which averages to a mile per day, but keeping in mind that i have to bank some miles for the days that i won't be at home to complete them, like vacation, etc. that way i won't get beind on my goal.

i just began this on jan1st and today being jan 12th, its my day 12 and i have completed ALMOST 12miles, but i still have the end of the day to finish.

i often do my mile at night, so technically i'm a lil ahead.

hope this helps.

xoxo, christie

Just the band for me - I WANT to exercise, but still can't get into that head space. I'm changing jobs in two weeks, and I hope that will allow my head to feel I will have the time to devote a session for myself several times a week.