Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

starting BMI over 50? come on in!

Howdy all! my name is Debbie and i have a BMI of about 53...i was wondering if my insurance told me they didn't cover lapband surgery, did anyone know of how i could get them to do so??? there is no way we could afford it without our insurance:frown:...even the 80/20 split is stretching our budget to the max..TIA

Hi Debbie,

If it's excluded, I'm not sure how you can force them to pay. I know there are several policies that exclude weight loss surgery. From my standpoint I don't know why insurance companies do this, as they save money in the long run not paying for the horrible health risks that people like us face daily.

There are some finance options out there that are available. You might want to check them out and see if any can fit in your budget. As far as money goes, I know the feeling in these days and times it's tough to come up with that kind of cash.

I hope you're able to figure something out that works for you!

I haven't visited this thread in awhile, but WOW Tied you're an inspiration. Your weightloss is really impressive, grats!

I have to admit I'm pretty scared about surgery because of my weight, (I've also, never had surgery - and I'm scared of needles, lol). My current BMI is 53.7. :)

All in all I realize I have to take control of my life, so I'm overcoming my fears and moving forward. I have my final appointment with my surgeon on June 25th (after enduring a 3 month supervised diet plan - insurance required), after that my info will be faxed over to Aetna. I hope they move this along quickly, I'm turning 35 on the 27th and an insurance approval would be a wonderful B'Day gift. :lol:

Thanks!

I have a feeling, I've lost more. More and More people are noticing, BUT I have a lot of dependent edema from working the last three - 12 hour shifts ... and I can't weigh.

You and I have the same birthday!!!

I wish I was going to be 35!

I'm going to be 45!

Howdy all! my name is Debbie and i have a BMI of about 53...i was wondering if my insurance told me they didn't cover lapband surgery, did anyone know of how i could get them to do so??? there is no way we could afford it without our insurance:frown:...even the 80/20 split is stretching our budget to the max..TIA

If the Lap Band is excluded, like it was on my insurance. There is nothing you can do. My insurance would cover RNY only. They now are covering Banding as of 7/1/08! BUT only with a surgeon who has never done them before. He's an RNY surgeon who is going to start doing bands. I have friends who have had that type of surgeon and they aren't treated well and the education is always RNY and not Lap Banding.

I paid $9950.00 for my surgery. I had no other choice!

Thanks!

I have a feeling, I've lost more. More and More people are noticing, BUT I have a lot of dependent edema from working the last three - 12 hour shifts ... and I can't weigh.

You and I have the same birthday!!!

I wish I was going to be 35!

I'm going to be 45!

How cool!!! Happy B'day!! =) I can't wait to get my "new" Birthday date!!

I say we both wish for 25!!! If you're going to wish, might as well make it a good one!! :)

Grats on your surgery!!! How exciting! :tt2:

Hi Debbie,

If it's excluded, I'm not sure how you can force them to pay. I know there are several policies that exclude weight loss surgery. From my standpoint I don't know why insurance companies do this, as they save money in the long run not paying for the horrible health risks that people like us face daily.

There are some finance options out there that are available. You might want to check them out and see if any can fit in your budget. As far as money goes, I know the feeling in these days and times it's tough to come up with that kind of cash.

I hope you're able to figure something out that works for you!

thank you Tied2BFit and MicheleK for your replies!:lol: we just financed my DH's lasik so maybe something will change by the time we get that paid for*fingers crossed* and DS18 is in college and we signed a big loan there..*sigh*I have been seeing the commercial for the Realize band and it really got me thinking...it has been so long since i have lost a pound , depression keeps knocking Hard at my door

i find it so hard to believe insurance companies want inexperienced(at lap band) surgeons doing these surgerys :tt2: it all confuses me though

i love reading about everyones successes though...it gives me hope:smile:

thank you Tied2BFit and MicheleK for your replies!:( we just financed my DH's lasik so maybe something will change by the time we get that paid for*fingers crossed* and DS18 is in college and we signed a big loan there..*sigh*I have been seeing the commercial for the Realize band and it really got me thinking...it has been so long since i have lost a pound , depression keeps knocking Hard at my door

i find it so hard to believe insurance companies want inexperienced(at lap band) surgeons doing these surgerys :angry: it all confuses me though

i love reading about everyones successes though...it gives me hope:smile:

I know how that evil depression can knock on our doors. Don't give up! Things can and will work out for you. If you had asked me last year at this time, if I would have had a Band at this time and would have lost 75lbs! I would have said, NO! Because I never thought, it would work out! BUT it did and I did and I am now a new person!

We'll all think hopeful for you! K?

I was just banded yesterday and am doing great! Love to read all the success stories of big losers. I have 150 to lose.

Congrats on that Band!

Yup, We are the BIGGEST of LOSERS! AND we are proud of it!

Think of our successes? By the time, I reach goal I bet not even my own mother will recognize me!

How cool!!! Happy B'day!! =) I can't wait to get my "new" Birthday date!!

I say we both wish for 25!!! If you're going to wish, might as well make it a good one!! :angry:

BTW, I love your ticker!

Yup! we do have the same birthday AND when you get your Re-birth - you'll be a new girl!

I vote for 25 too! If we're going to wish, we ARE going to wish BIG!

You don't look a day over 21!

Hi! I am to have my band surgery on the 22nd of July! It was to be on the 14th, but my doctor thought my liver may be too large. Now I am on 3 weeks of Optifast shakes to reduce the liver. I have a DMI of 53, which is way too much! I weighed in at 300 at the drs and have gone down to 295 since that time. I hope that a realistic goal will be around 135 when all is said and done.

Is there anything a person can do to zip up these shakes? They are not bad, just a bit boring.

I really enjoy reading about everyone's success! Thank You!

Maudie

Hi! I am to have my band surgery on the 22nd of July! It was to be on the 14th, but my doctor thought my liver may be too large. Now I am on 3 weeks of Optifast shakes to reduce the liver. I have a DMI of 53, which is way too much! I weighed in at 300 at the drs and have gone down to 295 since that time. I hope that a realistic goal will be around 135 when all is said and done.

Is there anything a person can do to zip up these shakes? They are not bad, just a bit boring.

I really enjoy reading about everyone's success! Thank You!

Maudie

I used to add a little sugar free raspberry DaVinci syrup....

the kind they use to make latte's.

Very good in a chocolate Protein Drink.< /span>

Phyl - I happened to run across your before/after pics...OH..MY..GOD!! You look like a different person!!! Your success is a real inspiration to the rest of us....you look AMAZING!!!!!!!! WOW

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::mellow: