Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Fat Enchiladas

Well, I guess I must have been sleeping. This is the best thread I've found, RECIPIES! Yeah.

Try this recipie, I found in a cookbook in Ireland, yummy!

LOW-FAT Enchiladas

1 pkg. low fat or low carb tortillas

1 can lowfat refried Beans

1 pkg. low fat shredded cheddar cheese

1 bunch fresh cilantro

1 med. onion (chopped)

1 can enchilada sauce ( l like the green medium heat)

Pam cooking spray

Fresh lettuce and tomatoes

Bake 400 degree oven for 15-20 min. Spread beans on tortilla, next top with cheese, cilantro, onion all mixed prior in a bowl. Wrap up tortilla and place in a pam coated baking pan. Top with sauce and remaining cheese. Use Lettuce and Tomato on top after baking if desired or just place on side for garnish.

These are terrific. I think the cal. were around 240 or so. It wasn't to high. The tortillas are usually quite large, so one should fill most of you up.

Heres another great recipie I made this week - yummy!

Feta Stuffed chicken Breasts

1/4 cup low fat feta cheese

2 tbls. low fat cream cheese

2 tbls walnut pieces or use what ever nut you like

Olive oil

1/4 cup Water

salt and pepper

fresh mushrooms- sliced

Take chicken breast, cut into the thickest part of the breast to make a pocket. Using above ingredients, that you have mixed together, stuff the breast. Season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in pan and place breast in oil. Fry on each side until golden brown. Then I add some Water about 1/4 cup to reduce the frying and place sliced fresh mushrooms in skillet. Cover and simmer until done about 12-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken. You could serve this with spinach too in place of the mushrooms. But I would add chicken broth instead of the water for more flavor.

Cal. 242 cal. per breast, NO FAT. Really Good!

I haven't made these YET, but I saw this recipe in the Martha Stewart "Everyday Foods" magazine. I like that there are instructions for freezing, plus it makes a lot (for a bandster)!

Downside is that she doesn't offer the nutritional information, but how bad could it be? I don't see why whole wheat flour tortillas couldn't be substituted if you want.

Vegetable Enchiladas and more delicious recipes, smart cooking tips, and video demonstrations on marthastewart.com

Heres another great recipie I made this week - yummy!

Feta Stuffed chicken Breasts

1/4 cup low fat feta cheese

2 tbls. low fat cream cheese

2 tbls walnut pieces or use what ever nut you like

Olive oil

1/4 cup Water

salt and pepper

fresh mushrooms- sliced

Take chicken breast, cut into the thickest part of the breast to make a pocket. Using above ingredients, that you have mixed together, stuff the breast. Season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in pan and place breast in oil. Fry on each side until golden brown. Then I add some Water about 1/4 cup to reduce the frying and place sliced fresh mushrooms in skillet. Cover and simmer until done about 12-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken. You could serve this with spinach too in place of the mushrooms. But I would add chicken broth instead of the water for more flavor.

Cal. 242 cal. per breast, NO FAT. Really Good!

This sounds really good. I am not banded yet but I am going to have DH try this as we both love feta cheese (he does all the cooking). It doesn't say how much oil to use, but I don't think it would be no fat if you browned the chicken in olive oil and then used it for a sauce to cook the chicken in. Olive oil is good for you so I wouldn't worry about the small amount in this dish.

One thing I have found with my band is that since I eat so much less than before, I really like to pack lots of flavor in.

I am not a huge fan of a lot of the low fat versions of things, and since I now eat one enchilada say, as opposed to the 5 or 6 I would have eaten prior to banding---I take advantage, and buy the best I can in regards to flavor. The flavor of the standard corn tortillas, is such a big part of enchiladas to me....I eat them! I like lots of hot sauce! BIG--BOLD flavors!!!

Love all the new ideas!!

Kat

One thing I have found with my band is that since I eat so much less than before, I really like to pack lots of flavor in.

I am not a huge fan of a lot of the low fat versions of things, and since I now eat one enchilada say, as opposed to the 5 or 6 I would have eaten prior to banding---I take advantage, and buy the best I can in regards to flavor. The flavor of the standard corn tortillas, is such a big part of enchiladas to me....I eat them! I like lots of hot sauce! BIG--BOLD flavors!!!

Love all the new ideas!!

Kat

I am glad you posted that - especially from someone who has ben so successful with the band - because that was what I have been thinking. If I can only eat a small portion, I want it to be something I really enjoy. Not a bunch of junk food - something healthy but flavorful and a small amount of fat gives food better flavor.

Also a small amount of fat, if you choose the type is good for you....olive oil, or canola oil, for instance. Eliminating all fats from your diet is not a good idea, it would also be VERY difficult!!! I realize low fat is not no fat!!!

There are things I do low fat or sugar free in, but I let the taste be my guide. If it does not taste bad, or different, then by all means, I use it, and eliminate the unnecessary fat & calories from my diet--but if it is not something I care for, then I eat my usual ones.

I have no problem with the Dreamfield pasta---I like it, and I like the fat free ready made pudding, but I don't like the sugar free ready made pudding in most flavors....it has been a learning process. And I do cut out when I can without disappointing myself!!

Mostly my band has helped me with Portion Control, and it has eliminated my hunger so that I make much better choices than ever before. I am much more nutrition concious, than ever before.

I find myself buying better quality of meat, it is tastier and more tender--I just eat a lot less so it is affordable! I also buy more fresh produce--it has more taste than canned. Now it is more important to have quality to me than the previous quantity.

You can lose with the band without being deprived. As soon as you feel up to it, exercise helps a lot! I don't get as much in the winter, I much prefer being outdoors--and with the weight gone, I found myself WANTING to do things outside....what a concept!!!

Kat