Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ovary drilling

Hey, just wondering if anyone has had ovarian drilling done while having the band put in. My endo says that it will greatly decrease Hair growth. The number of hair follicles will be the same, but the rate at which the hair grows is significantly slower. I guess drilling the ovaries releases excess male hormone that is stored inside. Any thoughts?

Amy

yeah my OBGYN hasn't ever mentioned that to me. Do you have PCOS? I'm on birth control AND metformin and she said that with my band and taking those two meds hopefully the Hair loss will slow down...if only the anti depressant i took made me lose hair in places that women shouldn't have it.

Wow, ovarian drilling sounds painful!!!

I have had PCOS for 17 years and it was something they used to do for PCOS, but it is now considered "old school" and they don't do it much anymore. Surely there is something less invasive you can do for hair growth...like laser hair removal????

you can do laser hair removal but from what i was told when i went to a session that after a certain number of treatments the hair that they lasered off would either stop growing or start going in super fine or very light colored...can't remember which!

I have PCOS and the hair growth under my chin is ridiculously mortifying to me. The last time that I saw my OBGYN was in August, and I asked about Vaniqa to inhibit the Hair growth. She said that she hadn't seen any positive results from it and that the side effects were probably worse than the hair. Not to mention that it is crazy expensive and insurance companies generally don't cover it.

In turn, she referred me to the esthetician in the office for a laser hair removal consultation. At the beginning of the consult, the esthetician was very helpful and positive, and explained that there was some sort of guarantee that if there were any hairs that regrew after the sessions were complete, she would remove them at no additional charge. I mentioned that I had PCOS and her story and demeanor completely changed. She became more than reluctant to take on my case, and told me that she wasn't sure that she would be able to do the treatments on me. I thanked her for her time and left.

When I had gotten home, I received a phone call from her. She said that she could do the treatments, but she would not guarantee any success, and that it most likely wouldn't take even after a full course of treatments. Needless to say, I did not take her up on her offer, and I continue to shave off the new growth every day. Which brings me to a question...

Are there any successful bandsters who have PCOS that have seen a the reversal of their symptoms, including the hair growth?