Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newby here lots of questions

Hi everyone my name is Heidi, I am 48 years old 5'5" and weigh 249. I am thinking about the lapband and wanted some info. A few years ago i thought about gastric bypass but now it seems that everyone I know who has had it has gained a lot of their weight back. To me thats not worth it. I would like to lose 100 + pounds and lapband seems like a good option. I would like to know about the long term situations of people who have had lap band. I am an active person who has no energy lately, I think I have sleep apnea, my joints hurt, and I know I coud be way more productive if Ijust lost some weight... . Is there anybody out there who can offer some advice both positive or negative

thanks,

Heidi:help:

Heidi, I hanen't had my band too long yet but its the best thing I have ever done. i did every diet plan, workout plan known to man and was always able to lose weight. But it always came back and usually brought friends with it. With the band, its more of a lifestyle change than a diet. I eat things i like, just small portions, and exercise regularly ( daily).

We have people in my support group that have been banded 5 years and are doing great. As you will hear, this is only a tool and it will be up to you to modify your lifestyle to adapt to it.

Hi Heidi!

It seems we are in a similar boat. I am also 48 and 5'5" tall. I started my lap band process in July of 2007. I am nearing the end of the 6 month diet period. I started at 259 pounds and am currently 233.5. My physician's office will be filling out the necessary forms for my insurance company soon and then I will be waiting for the go-ahead from them. While I can't tell you what it's like being banded, I can tell you that the long term results are quite similar to the RNY procedure and it seems to me to be a safer and less drastic procedure. I wish you luck on your wt loss journey. :smile:I'm in Indiana, where are you?

Hi Heidi!

It seems we are in a similar boat. I am also 48 and 5'5" tall. I started my lap band process in July of 2007. I am nearing the end of the 6 month diet period. I started at 259 pounds and am currently 233.5. My physician's office will be filling out the necessary forms for my insurance company soon and then I will be waiting for the go-ahead from them. While I can't tell you what it's like being banded, I can tell you that the long term results are quite similar to the RNY procedure and it seems to me to be a safer and less drastic procedure. I wish you luck on your wt loss journey. :smile:I'm in Indiana, where are you?

Laura,

I am in Washington state, originally from California. What do you mean when you say the 6 month diet program?

Heidi,

My insurance required a 6 month physician supervised diet before they would consider covering the band surgery for me. It's not true for everyone, but I have heard others encounter this as well.

I have been banded over 2 months now and have lost 29 lbs, mostly in the first 6-7 weeks. I may have put on a couple over the holidays but I'm putting off weighing myself for a little while. I need to get a bit more restriction happening so I can get the next 29 lbs off but in the meantime going for lots of walks. I am very glad I did this and believe it's going to help me lose all my weight this time rather than what I usually do which is to go totally the other way after losing. I also know it will help keep it off.

Heidi:

I'm 48 too. I am 5'7" and was 324 pounds nine months ago. This morning I weighed 226.6, yeah down 97 pounds!

I have alot more energy now than I did when I was heavier, though I didn't get it back until about 3 months after surgery.

My feet used to hurt all the time from carrying around this weight. I walk 4 to 5 miles 6 days per week, and my feet hardly ever hurt anymore.

I highly recommend the band based on my experience. However, I cannot tell you about long-term results yet. I do attend support group and there are a couple of people there that have had their weight off more than a year, but my surgeon's only been doing the surgery for 2+ years.

I hope things go well for you.

Sue

I was banded in April 2007... I have lost 100 pounds so far, but I am larger starting than you are. My start weight was 367# now I am 267#... but that is 100 pounds in 9 months??? My signature needs an update, but should give you some idea of my journey. Good luck. Kimberly

Well, it will get worse before it gets better...that's for sure.

Dieting caused me to be lethargic...slept all the time or wanted to sleep.

Was very irritable, too.

Moody...not quite the word.

Banding FORCES you to diet so be prepared.

Now? No hbp meds, no sleep apnea, no snoring, no limping due to back pain,

I found myself skipping the other day...me, at 37yrs old!

I have more energy now than ever before!

Will I gain it back? I sure don't think so...I did a mini binge and puked it all up. The band is my safeguard.

Wow this all sounds so encouraging. I'm getting excited to start the process. I hope it's not long and drawn out for months or years. I hate feeling full so that may be a plus. I am really looking foreward to having energy again. I'm sure my husband will be happy when the snoring subsides too.

Can someone tell me what PB's are and what sliming is?

Thanks

Heidi