Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to handle eating out?

When no one around knows that you've had this surgery, how do you handle eating out or just eating around other people? I have a dinner to go to next week. I'll be one mo post-op, and two weeks pre first fill, so there aren't any major restrictions on what I can eat, just volume. I'm stressing about it though. I'm a clean your plate kinda girl ... I don't know what's on the menu yet, I'm hoping to find out in advance and do some planning. I can see this same situation coming up a lot though, and want to have some kind of idea as to how to handle it.

So what do you do? Make excuses for eating less than people think you should? Try to hide the food? Overeat and pay for it later?

If you are going to a chain, go online and find the menu...find something that is band friendly and stick with it...don't even open your menu (tell your friends you're going to have what you had the last time you were there because it was so FABULOUS)

Then...when you aren't able to eat much, just say it wasn't as good as the last time you were there.--or, you could always use the, I just ate a big lunch excuse!!!

As for other restaurants, you could probably do the same...just have them fax you their menu...

Good luck,

Rain

It's good to get a copy of the menu in advance. You could always ask for a lunch size portion, which is smaller, or eat the portion size out of the meal that makes you feel full, not "stuffed" and ask to take the rest home. Most meal portions these days are way beyond the normal serving sizes anyway. So, if your group does happen to ask why you didn't eat that much, you could even tell them that the meal was soooo good you wanted to save some to take home and have again.

I think others can be more critical and notice your eating habits more so when they know you've had the surgery. I have a group of friends at work that know I have the lap-band and are almost like the food police at times, yet others could really care less and not even pay attention to whats on my plate or whats left on it. Don't stress too much over it. You'll be fine.:)

It's never an option to overeat and "pay for it later" unless a stretched pouch, impacted stoma, prolonged blockage, etc. are acceptable consequences to you.

Tell people you're eating less in effort to lose weight.

Tell people you're still full from a big breakfast/lunch/whatever.

Order the Soup and say that it sounds really good.

etc.

BTW, "paying for it later" might involve a later, but will almost guaranteeably involve a right now. And if you're concerned that trying to hide your band when you order, wait until you're trying to hide your banding while you're stuck or if you've overeaten.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it that much. Unless you've told everyone about the surgery, most people probably wont notice, and if they do, you can just say things like "had a big lunch" "just wasn't that hungry" "watchin' the waistband" etc, etc.

most people aren't going to notice how much you did or didn't eat. The more you talk, the less you eat. Its rude to ask someone why they're not stuffing themselves :girl_hug: I would just say that you weren't very hungry and you were enjoying the conversation so much that your food got cold - you'd rather take it home and savor it warm :)

i agree just look at the menus and there is some thing on there that should be light enough for you to eat. ask about thier Soups. i know i went to chilis and i had a cup of chicken tortilla Soup i couldnt even eat the whole cup.lol or on days like that order a chicken breast with a side of steamed veggies and eat what you can and take the rest home. i always plan my daily meals if i go out cause i watch to not go over 900-1000 calories a day. and i try not to go over 30 g a fat a day. plus you can always look on line at menus like mentioned above. im sure some of the stuff you find on those menus the restaurant your goin to might have something similar to that on there.

I eat out a lot and I have been shocked at how little people notice how much you eat. I just eat tiny bites but push my food around in my plate. Every once in while someone comments that I barely ate anything - then I say something like 'had a big breakfast' or that I am not feeling that great. The only thing I have had trouble with is eating to fast when I am out with fast eaters. I am talking or something and dont pay attention - that has a bad result!

I typically order Soup, and have discovered some really fabulous Soups out there!! If they have grilled chicken with grilled or steamed veggies that is a great option too! You can eat the veggies and some of the chicken and take the rest home. I ALWAYS hvae left overs now.

We've all been so busy for so many years stuffing our chubby little faces and licking our 7-course meal plate clean, we never raised our heads out of the potato salad bowl long enough to see that it is totally NORMAL not to finish all the food on your plate!!!!!! (Zounds...real people do it every day!) You can do one of two things....order a real meal and eat the "good stuff" (let things like the salad slide if it comes with the meal. If salad comes with the meal ask to have it broiught WITH the meal. Otherwise you are going to be tempted to take 4-5 bites of salad and you won't be able to eat a THING by the time the meal arrives.... Unless you want to eat just a salad then order just that. This also gives a lot more stuff surrounding you that you can "play" with.) and do a lot of pushing your food around on the plate, taking multitudes of tiny tiny bites...then ask for a doggie bag, or you can order from the appetizer section, which is what I generally do. What you get is smaller portion than a whole meal and totally filling and you can get some yummy stuff. Just remember to tell the server that you want your appetizer brought with the regular meals at the table...not beforehand. Remember....there are no bad foods....just bad portions.

And talking about splitting dishes....there are a LOT of people who don't eat a lot and would LOVE to split a meal with you. You can maneuver that based on the company you are with. Another great restaurant meal is a totally loaded baked potato (period). It is wonderful and will fill you to the brim. You feel like you are really doing something scandalous....but a loaded baked potato by itself without anything else isn't but around 300 or so calories. Just because you are at a restaurant you don't have to feel the need to put on a "show of eating" for others. Get what you want and take home what''s left or get something small. One thing I have found since being banded....I'm one helluva cheap date at a restaurant!!! ;)

"do a lot of pushing your food around on the plate, taking multitudes of tiny tiny bites...then ask for a doggie bag, "

I totally do this. Drives my friends nuts. They just aren't used to me NOT licking the plate clean! Haha. They are learning to deal with it, and now start taking bets on how many bites I'll take before I shove my plate away!

Another great restaurant meal is a totally loaded baked potato (period). It is wonderful and will fill you to the brim. You feel like you are really doing something scandalous....but a loaded baked potato by itself without anything else isn't but around 300 or so calories.

Dude, I went out with my friend over the weekend to a steakhouse and that's what I ordered, the loaded baked potato. She had ribs, baked macaroni and cheese, steak fries, not to mention the salad beforehand. After eating my potato, I was so stuffed. It's not only totally yummy and feels like you're cheating, but it's also filling and like you said, not too bad. :welldoneclap: