Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Funny things happen when you start to age.

After losing a few pounds, and having my 55th birthday on it's way soon (may) , you just start looking in the mirror a little less hard at your self. Things are just starting to get a little lose......ladies. I was out shopping in Hobby Lobby with my aunt the other day looking for a small table mirror. I picked up the mirror....held it down by my waist and for some reason at that moment while looking down I decided to check my lip stick. For a split second looking back at me was not me but someone that looked like Betty White. You know ...of the Golden Girls. I said to my aunt, Oh my God I just saw Betty White in the mirror,dimples and all. She started laughing and took off in a flash for the bath room. When she came back I told her that I think its time for a hair style change.

By the way, my lip stick was just fine....no lines running up to my nose. I told my Mom that I think I'm getting old. She said well I'm 20 years older then you....how do you think I feel.

I said, Like Maud's Mom?

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them?

Crazycat

I'm going to be 53 in April and even though I always get told I look younger than my years I feel that way as well... downhill run to 60... 60, me, never. I'm still a girl so how could I be in my 50s?? Scarey.

I know....

I guess I can quit asking myself if I'm a grownup. :girl_hug:

My husband is 8 years older then myself and he was buying senior lunch tickets to get a discount where we eat out at alot and the really old lady asked if I needed one too. :)

My husband laughed, but I did'nt.I have always looked young for my age. I'm hoping the old lady had really bad eye sight.

Here's something else.....I'm having a little trouble relating to some of the younger tv shows too.

My mom says that even though she's 70, she in her mind does'nt think she is.

I'm sure it was her eyesight or she looked at your hubby and assumed you were around his age.

I must say I've always kept up with current trends ... I think that's because I never married so have been out there with friends of all ages. Also have young nephews and nieces around me so they keep me young. My eldest niece just turned 29... I feel I'm 29 so how could that be. I guess I'll be an 80 yo still trying to get into nightclubs !! :) :girl_hug:

Crazycat, I know just how you feel. My head does not feel 55. I still have wants and thoughts that I have had all my adult life so when I see wrinkles or bags for a minute I am aware of my age. Also when the following happens: When I call someone that is 36 young, when young people cut me off in the middle of my sentence because they are clearly not interested in what an old person has to say, when my 3rd graders tell me I look like their grandma, when parents ask me if I am going to retire soon, and when the waitress at Kentucky Fried chicken asked me if I wanted the senior discount.....All of these make me aware I must not look 30 anymore. It feels kind of strange but as they say, consider the alternative.

Crazycat:

How about being very proud of being 48 and not having any wrinkles, losing 80+ pounds, and all of a sudden you get a few wrinkles where your third chin used to be. Don't know which I'd rather have, the third chin, or the wrinkles. I guess because the third chin comes with all of the other crap, I'll take the wrinkles and save up for plastic surgery later on.

Take care.

Sue

i was having my oil changed the other day and when i paid for it the guy said i got $2 dollars off and i thanked him and said i had forgotten tuesday was ladies day, when i droved out a big sign said $2 off for SENIOR CITIZENS i was so upset i went home and told my dh i would have rather paid the $2 than have a sr citizen discount and i am 53!!!! i have really noticed that i have really begun to age lately and sometimes i wonder if it is because i have lost a little weight!

:help:Ladies I am in the same place i"ll be 55 in june but just don't know how this has happened. I'm just not ready to be this old!!! :faint:I still want to run onthe beach at dawn after sitting up all night talking to my BFF (DH).:whoo:

Ladies....You all are just too funny. :eek:

Getting 2 dollars off for an oil change on senior citzens day was a hoot.

Does'nt is seem that everything started going south in our 50's?

The 40's seemed just fine. Now I'm starting to wonder about whats going to happen in our 60's....besides socal security,medicare,ect.

Ok....I'm going to click on the 60's thread to see what they are talking about.

Crazycat

SueSue..it must just be a KFC policy (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA) I have went with my husband (he is 58) twice locally and she rings up 2 seniors!! My husband laughs, like someone else said , I would rather pay extra than be assumed I am a senior!! But I do enjoy using hubbys senior card for 5% off on Wednesdays at the grocery store.

O.K.

This is really hard...I have 4 1/2 months left to be in my forties. I will turn 50 in May! I'm telling you where did the years go! I never dreamed I would ever be 50! I had my surgery May 07.

I have lost 47 pds and have 40 pds to go! Like someone said...where my other chin used to be is now just loose skin! And I relate to the other person that had the experience with the hand mirror! Sometimes when I get out of the shower and I of course don't have my glasses on..I'll catch a glimpse of this stanger in the mirror and almost run for the shot gun screaming..who are you..get out of my house! Then I see that it is just me! Boy, this all takes some getting used to! But, along with the fine lines comes a beauty inside that I wouldn't trade for the world. It is a true benefit of getting older. Wisdom. Dontcha just like yourself so much better than when you were younger and thinner. I sure do. I would'nt trade who I am today..for the skin or the body I had at 20. No way!

Blessings y'all and I'll be part of the 50 group (ouch that hurt) even though I am still 49 and a half. Nanner nanner!

Weazer

As several of you said, age is just a number. It's how your think and feel that matters. And we're all in this together - working toward a better life, right? I'm so glad to have found this website - I've learned a lot and had some of my worries dismissed. Talk to you all soon.

Ok - I am at Walgreens transferring my prescirption - the guy (maybe 30) asked my date of birth "1955" then as he is looking at my insurance card he say "IS THIS PART D" WTF - I know i don't look 65 !!!!!

I think I look my age - but you know what kept be from getting depressed - I had on a size 12 pair of jean !!!!!