Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Scale Won't Budge

:angryI am getting so frustrated, banded 11/15/2007, 1st fill 1/26/2007 3cc in a VG band which holds 14cc. The scale has not moved in over 5 weeks. I am eating protien first, never eating and drinking together. I started working out this week everyday a minimum of 30 minutes. I definately see NSV as the inches are coming off but would like to know if any of you have experienced this and when does it surpass? Next fill is scheduled 1/22/2008

I know my body plays tricks on me. Muscle is more dense than fat so take more faith in the tape measure than the weight. It will kick in again.

I think you seem to be donig well. Your only about what 11 weeks out of surgery ? The first 6 weeks post op is not about weight loss its about recovery . You said you just started working out this week. Were you walking or anything prior to that ? I was able to walk 2 weeks post op .

I know if stop moving , so does the scale ! Also are you tracking what your eating ? Are you eating ENOUGH ? are you eating too much ?

Both can halt your weight loss. You said your loosing inches so that is a plus !

I think your doing well so far !

Mindy

Yes, I also agree with Mindy - not eating ENOUGH just messes with your metabolism. I, pwersonally, have the best success if I eat at least 1400 calories but no more than 1800. Under normal circumstances I cannot eat that little but with the band, it should nto be a problem. Hang in there.

I concur. Maybe you aren't eating enough. I just had a fill this week and for the past few days I have only been able to eat 900-1100 calories and I haven't seen any results on the scale even with vigorous exercise (burning up to 1500 calories a day exercising). I think I am going to have to up my calories. My body doesn't like when I dip below 1400-1500 (it thinks I am starving). The weight will come off. We all just need to have patience and keep doing what we are doing. (that's hard to say because I have NO patience.)

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate the encouragement!!!

I feel the same way that you do, I too have not seen my scale move in two weeks and I am doing all the right things. I log everything that goes into my mouth, I work out 5 days a week for an hour and I have been keeping my calories between 800 and 1100 as told by the nutritionist.

I do not drink with meals nor after in fact 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after.

It is so frustrating, I lost 31 pounds since surgery and two weeks ago it has all halted. I am hoping that the inches are coming off, as I did not measure myself, but I am going to this weekend.

Everyone here is awesome and all of their advice is wonderful, they know what they are talking about because they have already walked this road we are on. Hang in there, I am trying too!!

Whoa, sister, you've lost 38 lbs in 2 months! That's way above average. Plateaus are a normal part of weight loss as your body adjusts to the weight loss. They WILL happen as you continue to lose weight. Don't lose heart. Just make sure you are following the band rules for eating, tweak your calories a bit if it seems like you are eating too much or too little, and like the others said you'll see a difference in inches before pounds. But don't lose sight of the fact that you have done great so far, and you WILL start losing again.

Plateaus totally suck, I am with you there. It always feels like it lasts so much longer than when I actually look back after the plateau is over. That's why I weigh frequently (I know, a lot of people don't but I do) and record it online, so I can look back at trends. A lot of times I will think my plateau has gone on for longer than it really did. But just know it's a normal part of weight loss and sooner or later it will pass. Also, you didn't mention what you are eating, how often, whether you have any restriction...entering your foods in an online food journal like fitday.com or sparkpeople.com for a few days can help you see if you are getting more than you thought you were, or if you can tweak some choices to improve your calories.

Hope some of this helps! Good luck.