Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon can I have a glass of wine?

Okay...I am not some crazy drinker...I just have a party to go to soon and I watned to know if I can have a glass of wine while there. So my question is....

How long Post-op should I wait to have a glass of wine???

Thanks so much in advance for you input!!!

Hiya! I'm wondering the same thing...and I was banded on the same day as you.

My deal is that I'm a wine connoisseur, so I attend tastings and wine parties all the time. I will call my doc if nobody knows the answer around here.

I waited 4 weeks. When you do, remember that alcohol tends to dehydrate you a bit. So increase your Water consumption. I have noticed that I'm tighter in the evenings after a stressful day. The half glass of wine on those days, loosens it back up and I'm able to eat normally. I just don't do it every day. I was banded on Nov. 19th and have only done this about 5 times. Lots of empty calories......

Okay here is what i asked my doctor:

I had my surgery on January the 4th. How soon until I can have a glass of wine? The reason I ask is that I have a party to go to on the 19th and I just wanted to check and see If I will be able to have a glass of wine there or not. Thanks a lot for you help.

answer from my doctor..

sip slowly.........

I was told to wait 4 weeks. Remember, alcohol may affect you differently.... you have less calories to absorb it, and you will likely weight less. For my first glass of wine, I actually had 1/2 wine 1/2 Water and it took baby sips and finished it in 40 minutes. A few days later, less Water in the wine,and it only took me 20 minutes. After having wine a few more times after that, I realized I need to have some food with it -- so I have 15 little goldfish crackers about 15 min before I have the wine. If I don;t have a little something in my stomach, I feel really drunk pretty quick, even on a small amount of wine. I know this is against the bandster rules to eat with liquids, but it works for me only in this scenario. Once I am finished with the wine, I then wait 10 min until I start my dinner. If I resume drinking wine, I will wait a full 60 min after I complete my dinner.

Bottom line: you need to ease into alcohol use to see how it will affect you, and you may want to start out doing it at home and not in a social setting.

Great - I think I'll wait until about 4 weeks as well. I remember distinctly choosing the band for a thousand reason over the gastric bypass, but the main reason was because of the ability to still have wine and not get insanely drunk from 1 oz. I love my wine, but I hate being drunk. Bleh!

So in about 3 weeks I'll be able to sip slowly...:kiss2:

I would wait till you're back on normal foods, so whenever that is.

Okay...I am not some crazy drinker...I just have a party to go to soon and I watned to know if I can have a glass of wine while there. So my question is....

How long Post-op should I wait to have a glass of wine???

Thanks so much in advance for you input!!!

I am not allowed to have alcohol for 6 months.:rolleyes:

Hi WendyRae -- Although I don't have an answer for you, I appreciate the question. I love my wine and I'm probably going to have surgery next month.

I will not kill you to have a glass of wine early on. Just remember that if you get any burning sessation which is a sign of acid reflux you should be careful. The main reason they suggest you don't drink the first year is the empty calories. So calories and additional Water to hydrate. There is no other reason as it is liquid. Just sip slowly.

Well...last night was the party and I drank one glass of red wine. It took me the entire time. It tasted awesome!!! I felt fine during and after.