Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared Silly in Alabama!

Hi my name is Sherri...I'm scheduled for the lapband on Thursday January 10th @ 7am. I can't stop thinking about being put to sleep and I am terrified. Can't stop crying everytime I think about it. :cry I went and I had my hormone shot yesterday hoping that will help be not quite so emotional. I have children to raise and any time I've had a surgery in the past it's been Dr's orders, not something I've requested. Any advice on getting past these feelings? Is it normal to be so scared?

It's normal to be scared. Everyone has some fear when going into surgery. All the personnel in the surgical suite are there to take care of you and to always do their best with each patient. You'll be fine.

Hi, I think it is just normal to be scared and nervous. But think of things on the brighter side. Think of how much better you will feel when you start shedding those unwanted pounds. I wish you the very best.:ranger:

Hi Sherri...welcome to Lap Band Talk. Congratulations on getting banded Thursday.

Remember when you had your kids? This surgery is a piece of cake compared to that. ( I've got two and my first one got "stuck"..with that big head of hers in my pelvic bones so I had a c-section after 36 hours of labor)...like I said, piece of cake.

The great thing about anesthesia these days is it has progressed from how things use to be. Much safer. So think of it like you are getting a paid NAP. You'll wake up and personally, I didn't feel anything but a bit sore. I was just sleepy. Nothing a couple of days of napping didn't cure.

Now for the WHY you want the surgery and are opting for it (instead of the normal being told you require surgery)... you do it so you do not get sicker from health complications of being obese. You do it so you can live longer for yourself and for your kids...dance at their wedding. I did it because I had tried everything else and topped the scales at 379.

I wish you all the best on Thursday. You will wake up with a new life ahead of you and I wish for you the same feelings that I had...a new sense of HOPE for my future!

Patty

Yes of corse it is normal to be scared...However remember you are

doing this for yourself and your kids..Try not to worry

Hi Sherri! I am getting my surgery on 1/10 too! I started my 48 hour, pre-op liquid only diet this morning. It is totally normal to be nervous. Probably, as the surgery gets closer, your feelings will get a little stronger. It's OK. In a week, you will be a few pounds lighter. In a month, even more weight will be lost. By 6 months from now, you will be even lighter. Now think of what you would weigh a year from today without the surgery. For me, that thought alone gets any doubts out of my head!

I would suggest you call the Hosp. and ask to talk with your anesthesiolist about your concerns that you have and ask him if you can have pre meds to comfort you and also other meds to comfort you when you come awake. Keep in mind everyone is differant in how they react and handle the meds. For me I was excite going in because I was doing this to make myself better for my wife and kids. I also was at peace with myself and also felt comfortable with the doctor doing the surgery. When I came out I was fine and did not have any pain expect for gas. Some people were surpised that I was up and walking so quickley. You will do just fine.

Chris