Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on the 4th - still hungry!

I was banded on the 4th and came home on the 5th - I am SOOOOO hungry! Apparently I am that 1 in 4 that still feels hungry after the surgery. I have spoken with the dietician who tells me to get the Protein in but quite honestly, I HATE the smell of the stuff and I just can't do it. I want to try out some baby food because I can't stay on this for another 4 weeks! My surgeon wants everyone to have 4 weeks of liquids after the surgery before moving to soft foods. Is anyone else facing this? I had hoped I would be one of those bansters that was feeling great, walking the mall (no CHANCE of that happening) and loving life - I'm not.

I want some food and right now I want my old life back! help!

Shirley:help:

Hey Shirley--

I think most folks get hungry once their swelling goes down. Perhaps you just healed up faster than most. What are you allowed to have? My rule for three weeks is "anything that can go through a straw and don't worry about losing weight-- just heal!" I'm planning to eat as healthy as possible, but I'm not focusing on dieting as I already know I will fail at that. I like Soup and there are certainly many varieties available. Also bought some unflavored Protein to sprinkle in. Take a look at the food/recipe forum for on this board for some ideas as well. I know it's not going to be easy, but you are not alone and you CAN do it. Hang in there. Jim (feeling pretty sore this morning)

I got banded yesterday and I actually woke up from surgery hungry!! I had a lot of Jello and broth and popsicles yesterday. I bought some of the special K Protein Water because I don't get to do Protein Shakes until next monday. This is my first week and I can only have Clear Liquids. Next week I get to have "full" liquids, (i.e. milk and creamy soups). Then week 3 is mushies. week 4 I can start to try to eat normally.

I was liquids the two weeks before surgery, now on the two weeks after, with mushy foods two weeks after that. So, technically not on solid foods until February.

I was also banded on the 4th and I am also hungry. I have 1 more week of full liquids, but I'm thinking of beginning purees just a few days early. I bought some new Protein stuff today that I hope will give me a full feeling. So far I've been having 15-20 g of protein powders added to nearly everything I eat, but I never get full. I bought some stuff that will pack 60 g of protein per scoop. I'm crossing my fingers and begging some higher being to bring on a full feeling for me. :cry

Hang in there! I too was banded on the fourth and yesterday was the first day I thought I was going to eat my husband and kids I was so hungry. I know you say the Protein is gross, but what are you mixing it with? Did they give you any suggested recipes? I have some I would be happy to share if youwould like and you are allowed. What might help is egg drop Soup. There is a recipe on here for it under the stickies and it let me "chew" a bit and made me feel a lot better. Also, don't hang out in the kitchen and go outside, even if it means sitting in the car. Invite people over so you won't eat. Thats what got me through. Also, I looked at pictures of how I wanted to look and thought if I can do THIS I can get to THAT. Hang in there....

Hi, I was also banded within the last week and i have to say I dont feel hungry at all. my doc says I only have to be on shakes for 2 weeks and then the mushies. I made some pinto Beans today for my family and will have some of the broth--which is super high in Protein. try Jello and to mix it up a bit, also sipping on the Water all day....shoudl make u feel full. sorry to hear you arent doing so well, I hope things will get better for you soon. take care and good luck

I was also banded on the 4th and although I have felt my stomach actually growl, I can't decide if I can actually feel hungry or what. However, I am craving regular food. I'm sick to death of the protien drinks.

A couple of days ago and again right now, I'm having Tomato Soup. It really made me feel human again. I also cheated and crushed 3 crackers, 1 at a time in it. I waited until the cracker crumbs turned to mush and then ate it. Wow, what heaven to taste a morsel of salt!

Good luck to you.

You need to keep in mind that this journey wasn't going to be easy. I also felt like you all did and I'm glad I followed the rules and waited to eat what I could so that my band would continue to work with me. It's a tool and you will learn how to work it soon enough! Hang in there. Good luck!

I was also banded on the 4th and I am also hungry. I have 1 more week of full liquids, but I'm thinking of beginning purees just a few days early. I bought some new Protein stuff today that I hope will give me a full feeling. So far I've been having 15-20 g of Protein powders added to nearly everything I eat, but I never get full. I bought some stuff that will pack 60 g of protein per scoop. I'm crossing my fingers and begging some higher being to bring on a full feeling for me. :cry

I could be wrong but I'm sure that I have heard (from more than one place) that if you consume more than approx 20g of protein in one shot (like 60 for example) it doesn't make a difference as your body does not absorb anything much more than 20 in one go. So having something with 20g vs something with 60g might not be an difference. You may want to check that out in case the 60g stuff is more costly. Might save you some money. Good luck with your band, I hope you get that full feeling soon.

I also do not think that consuming more grams of Protein will make you feel more satisfied. It is a liquid and it is not filling. I also could not stand the smell of the Protein shakes, but I started preparing them in the magic bullet. Some of the things I've mixed are chocolate Protein powder with milk and a heaping spoonful of Peanut Butter and this actually did make me feel full. I have also done vanilla Protein Powder with milk, a banana and Peanut Butter. Since the powder is mixed in so well I cannot smell it like I could when I was preparing it with a spoon in a glass.

Here are things that are on my stage one-liquids only-list:

Light yogurt (I got the kind you drink)

SF pudding or custard

cream soups-strained

cream of wheat (drinkable consistency)

fruit and Veg juices

broth

Protein Shakes

fruit smoothies

At this point I am into the mushy stage and that has been helpful, but yesterday was the first day that I have REALLY felt hungry since my surgery on the 3rd. I did manage to satisfy my hunger, mainly with yogurt and cottage cheese-which I just ate until I finally started to feel satisfied.

The other night I pureed thin strips of beef prepared in the crock pot. Tasted fine if you can get beyond the look and texture. My 4 year old was pretty thrilled by it and ate a whole cupful... I was not so thrilled. But I did get it down and I felt satisfied afterward. I used quite a bit of the juices from the cooking process to puree it.

Actually I bought the 60g Protein powder so I wouldn't have to mess with "getting in " all my daily Protein required by my doc. I hate having to add those weak low-gram protein powders (which taste like a$$) to every meal..so I do the 60g once per day in a very yummy drink. I thought it might help me feel fuller, but it still doesn't. I don't think protein is working for me...period. Not 5 g, not 10 g...doesn't matter. It's not helping me feel full. It is helping me to not lose my hair and I love the Protein shake I drink everyday that gets all my protein in (the 60 g powder I bought rocks for that reason alone). I also make sure I get a lot of food Proteins too...I pick full liquids and clear drink-adders with as much protein as I can find.

I'll be fine...it's just really hard but I'm doing it! :welldoneclap: