Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My MD did not say "No"! I am so excited....

I was so afraid to discuss the lap-band with my MD. He's been opposed to any talk of WLS in the past. I was all ready with the informational packet I had reciev ed at the Lapband seminar plus all I have learned through my research on line. I was shocked when he did not say "no".

I went to the seminar in NYC at NYU in October. I met with the psychologist in November. When I met with the psych, he had some concerns about my very disorganized eating patterns. He wanted me to do more research and attend the post surgical group they offer at NYU. I did all he has asked, and I have started a food journal which really did help structure my eating. I was not even aware of how I had lost all sense of meals and just ate throughout the day without any sense of Breakfast, lunch, dinner.< /p>

I have another appt with the psych next week and I hope to get his clearence. I have another appt with my MD on Friday and I hope to be able to convince him to write my letter reccommending the surgery. I have just switched to UHC and hope that I will be one of the lucky one's who gets approved without jumping through lots of hoops, but I will do whatever I need to to get this done.

I am 37 yrs old and have three small children...7 yrs, 4yrs and 20 months. I plan on having a hernia repair at the same time as the band. I have had 3 c-sections and hope that the scarring inside won't cause any trouble with the surgery. I plan on having Dr. Ren or Dr. Fielding perform the surgery at NYU. I weigh 284 and am 5'6". I have high blood pressure and am borderline diabetic. I have arthritis in my feet and work as an untrasound tech, so I stand all day.

Thank you all so much for all the info I have been able to get from reading this site. It's wonderful to know that this support is here during this process that most people I know in real life are opposed to, or ill-informed about.

Christine

Hi Christine, welcome to LBT. My wife has had two sections and gall bladder surgery and experienced NO problems whatsoever with her band surgery. Don't be surprised if they want to put off the hernia for a later date. Here's to many happy losses for you...

I had 2 c-sections and gallbladder surgery and my surgeon had no problems at all with scar tissue. Hope things work out well for you - you've found a great place for info and support!!

Robin

I have UHC and my wife and I were approved in no time. If you would like to see a copy of the letter we used e-mail me. If you have problems with you main doctor as my wife did you can use or OBGYN and get his/her support also. For the matter you could use your other doctors. UHC requires at least 5 years of weights with BMI etc. We were both approved in less than 30 days. The hardest part for us was getting all the history together since we had moved all around.

Chris