Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Gotta, I have UHC and had to go self pay but it was more to an exclusion that my husbands employer put in the policy than it did with UHC. From what I understand UHC is one of the easier ones to work with, so I hope your letters help.

Elayne, sorry no help on smoothies, I'm not much of a cook and definitely not much of a smoothie person, have you checked the food thread? or does your nutritionist have some suggestions?

Well, gals, today I am wearing clothes I've not worn in 5 yrs. Yep I keep moving them around in all our moves, getting depressed when I'd see them in the closet, which makes it all the more rewarding that they fit now! Just wanted to check in and say howdy, am off to the movies. DH and DS are seeing Batman and I am going to see Mamma Mia.

Long - Congrats on wearing the 5 yr old clothes - that's a Great NSV!!!

I want to see Mama Mia too.. Enjoy your show.,

I went to my pre op appt Friday. Tomorrow I start my 2 week pre-op diet. I was told to eat 3 meals a day. Portein, vegetables. No peas, corn, or starchy veggies. Protein supplements/ shakes. I have 2 questions.

1. I have been told to eat 5o grams of protein a day. Does that mean NOT to go over 50 grams?

2. Can someone give me some ideas on what to eat for Breakfast, the only thing i can come up with is eggs, or Protein Shake. ( I do not like cheese )

PJ - you would really have to ck with them but I bet it means 50 grms max - 1 oz protein = 7 grms protein... But double check with them - As for breakfast - you can have meat - it doesn't have to be breakfast foods - yogurt/furit - meat & veggie omeltte - I will have meat for breakfast some days - I don't like sweets in the morning too much - tuna salad chicken salads (make with lite mayo or fat free - I prefer lite) I did shake breakfast & lunch - had salmon and veggies or salad for dinner..

Charlene - Your doc says no caffeine?? I am sorry !!! I am lucky I can still have my coffee (1 or 2 cups max in the morning) & ice tea.

You maybe like me - once I start eating it just fuels the desire to eat more.. Don't ask me why - but it's my addiction I guess - just like an alcoholic one drink is too much and 10 not enough - I am that way with food - I eat I am full but I still want to continue to eat and if I am busy doing stuff I don't even think about food ..

Janet.........yep, my dr says no caffeine....causes hunger. I do think I have an addiction to food. I have head hunger after I eat. So far today it has been good. I started on Protein Shakes and pureed food. I was hungry till i pureed some tuna and it was really satisfying. I eat two ounces of pureed food one hour and the next hour I drink 8oz of Water. I am definitely not hungry. I will just follow the dieticians directions and I should do okay. One thing though, I have got to give up watching the food channel. I just love watching the "food network challenge".:ohmy:

Charlene I hear you girl - When I start eating watch out just want to keep eating that band helps some - but I would say most of the work is up to me cuz I could eat slider food - but I really try and stay away from them...

Food channel - fat chick's best freind - skinny's chick worse enemy... I have been watching the food channel when it first hit the air here in the desert about 17 yrs ago... I found watch it made me want to eat 24/7 so I quit watching it all the time like I use to way before I got banded - but emril - paula dean are my fav's pork fat & butter - uhm I miss it ...

Hi to all, I too love Paula Deen and I am also triggered when I eat, I want more. Today was my second day on real food. I had Unjury yogure smoothie for breakfast w Decaf coffee. lunch was half fat free ham sandwich and a string cheese. Later I had a Protein bullet. then for supper I had a 3oz hamburger with no bun, half cup of fresh corn, and 4 bites of fresh Tomato. I hope that wasn't too much. I could have eaten more but did not. Even though I don't have alot to say, I am very much paying attention to everything that everyone is writing as this is my support group. Now I gotta figure how to change this ticker thingy. To all the new bandsters, You will all do very well. Just follow your doctors orders and you will not have problems. I was scared also and it is not as bad as you anticipate. Your health will be soo much better.

Beckyo:thumbup:

I'm a retired RN & worked in health insurance doing pre-cert for 5 years. Don't know about the specifics of your policy, or your state laws, but do know you are entitled to appeal their decision, usually at two levels. So, just wondering if in your letter you stated that you wished to appeal their decision. You must use those words, that you want to appeal. Usually there is first an "in house" review, and then, the way ours worked, an independent review by an unbiased physician or physician team.

Phyllser, I didn't submit my first letter yet because I wanted to include my doctors recommendation with it also. Do you know if the insurance co. will ask him to send his records of all the diet attempts I've tried in previous years? I ask that because I never discussed it at length with him until he told me about Lap Band Surgery. I just told him all the things I've tried. Probably through the years we discussed it in passing but not enough for him to make a note of it. My worst problem is improper documentation.

My lap band office told me about the appeal but they would do that only once they submit their information and I'm denied. They told me they weren't allowed to send just the 5 year weight loss history without completing all the other requirements (nutritionist etc). Like I said before, I refuse to pay for all that if they aren't going to approve me because of my lower BMI history. Do you think I have a chance on my own getting an approval of just this step? Not sure if you read my other messages. I really don't want to get my hopes up if I don't have a chance at all. I'm so sad about this as it is. I would be willing to share the letter I wrote with you since your experienced. My email address is jejme@sbcglobal.net. If you email me I'll send the letter over to you. It's too long for this site. If not, I appreciate your input.

Edited by gottaluvme

Food channel - fat chick's best freind - skinny's chick worse enemy... I have been watching the food channel when it first hit the air here in the desert about 17 yrs ago... I found watch it made me want to eat 24/7 so I quit watching it all the time like I use to way before I got banded - but emril - paula dean are my fav's pork fat & butter - uhm I miss it...

I miss potatoes!! Boo Hoo!!

Phyllser, I didn't submit my first letter yet because I wanted to include my doctors recommendation with it also. Do you know if the insurance co. will ask him to send his records of all the diet attempts I've tried in previous years? I ask that because I never discussed it at length with him until he told me about Lap Band Surgery. I just told him all the things I've tried. Probably through the years we discussed it in passing but not enough for him to make a note of it. My worst problem is improper documentation.

My lap band office told me about the appeal but they would do that only once they submit their information and I'm denied. They told me they weren't allowed to send just the 5 year weight loss history without completing all the other requirements (nutritionist etc). Like I said before, I refuse to pay for all that if they aren't going to approve me because of my lower BMI history. Do you think I have a chance on my own getting an approval of just this step? Not sure if you read my other messages. I really don't want to get my hopes up if I don't have a chance at all. I'm so sad about this as it is. I would be willing to share the letter I wrote with you since your experienced. My email address is jejme@sbcglobal.net. If you email me I'll send the letter over to you. It's too long for this site. If not, I appreciate your input.

Suggestion - Gain the weight !!! I have read where pple have done that..

Janet! Looking Good!!! REAL GOOD!!

Orea---you sound terrific and really up! Good!

Hi Mary!!! Welcome!

gottaluvme--Oh my!! I'm so sorry. I think Phil's post sounds like it could be very helpful.

50 grams of Protein? Well --I think it's important to listen to your MD but I have to say that it sure does sound like every MD and their mother has a different take on protein levels. My nutritionist and MD are on the SAME treatment team and 1 says to stay between 40g - 60grams and the other one says get at least 90grams and if I go over that -- it's fine. Go figure.

There's a thought!

You'd think co-morbidities would get her through!

I just sent my email address.

Hope I can offer some suggestions to help.

50 grams of Protein? Well --I think it's important to listen to your MD but I have to say that it sure does sound like every MD and their mother has a different take on protein levels. My nutritionist and MD are on the SAME treatment team and 1 says to stay between 40g - 60grams and the other one says get at least 90grams and if I go over that -- it's fine. Go figure.

Yeah, they can't seem to make up their minds.

And some of them are giving us bypass rules to follow!

I think I was told 50-60 gm.

Last week when I did the 5 day pouch test,

I kept close track & I was WAY over that.

My nutritionist and PA contradicted each other on the caffeine issue!

I did get one piece of useful info at my 1 yr follow-up the other day.

PA was asking me what supplements I was taking.

When she asked me if I was taking the B-Complex liquid sub lingual

i said, "when I remember". She said B-complex was not that crucial with lapband patients because we don't lose that lower stomach absorption and we probably get enough B Vitamins in our diets. However, she said Thiamine is mostly in bread and since we don't tolerate bread well, I should be taking Thiamine.

Which reminds me... I haven't remembered to look for some yet!

RiteAid is across the street and I'm sure they have some. I have to check.

Edited by phyllser

i said, "when I remember". She said B-complex was not that crucial with lapband patients because we don't lose that lower stomach absorption and we probably get enough B Vitamins in our diets. However, she said Thiamine is mostly in bread and since we don't tolerate bread well, I should be taking Thiamine.

PHYL! Is is possible that Thiamine may be related to memory difficulties??? tee-hee!

:biggrin2::biggrin2:

Indigogirl, I thought of that but I don't really want to be even heavier for another 5 years? I want the Lap Band now, of course. My insurance co requires 5 years of BMI 40. If I just had to do it to get accepted now, I'd do it in a heartbeat and have fun doing it! :biggrin2: thanks for the suggestion!

You all are so great. thank you all for your suggestions and input. I love it and welcome any comments on my dilemma.

Edited by gottaluvme

When I had my last blood test - I was low in the thiaman dept - so found some B's that have it and I can swallow them they are small - now if I could just find small multi vitimans..

Indigogirl, I thought of that but I don't really want to be even heavier for another 5 years? I want the Lap Band now, of course. My insurance co requires 5 years of BMI 40. If I just had to do it to get accepted now, I'd do it in a heartbeat and have fun doing it! :biggrin2: thanks for the suggestion!

You all are so great. thank you all for your suggestions and input. I love it and welcome any comments on my dilemma.

Gotta

OMW no not for 5 yrs that's just plain ass stupid... Have you though about going to mexico...

Yep to have to gain 20 lbs for a short time - yes I could do it too :ohmy:

Nifty Fifties! I like that!

I got headaches the first few days after banding. I think it had to do with

my calories going from thousands to hundred, but that's just my opinion.

Janet, congratulations on those size 6 jeans. I would never dare to wear white!

I ate very badly this past weekend. Having a bf is not good for my diet. I will do better during the week.

I feel bad for anyone who has to jump through the ins. hoops. I am glad I was able to self pay. I took a 2nd mortgage on my house and

it was the best 10,000 I could have ever spent.

Good luck. I hope everyone gets approved! Bandland is like dreamland!

PHYL! Is is possible that Thiamine may be related to memory difficulties??? tee-hee!:biggrin2::biggrin2:

You got me!!

I've probably been over to RiteAid four times since Wed., too!!

10_12_9.gif

I need to write down the page # of where I left off. This thread moves so quickly sometimes. I think it would really help and I wouldn't have to keep clicking the back button to find what I haven't read.

I remember how happy I was to wear old clothes that were like brand new that became too small. I wish I would have saved more of them actually. I can remember certain things I wish I still had. It was even a better feeling when some of that stuff I did have around was now too big!

Charlene I hear you girl - When I start eating watch out just want to keep eating that band helps some - but I would say most of the work is up to me cuz I could eat slider food - but I really try and stay away from them...

Food channel - fat chick's best freind - skinny's chick worse enemy... I have been watching the food channel when it first hit the air here in the desert about 17 yrs ago... I found watch it made me want to eat 24/7 so I quit watching it all the time like I use to way before I got banded - but emril - paula dean are my fav's pork fat & butter - uhm I miss it ...

weight.png

Yeah, ole Paula and Sandra Lee are my favs, but right now the "food network star" is one and I think next week is the final.....I am a reality junkie too. Just one more week and I will quit. I quess I will just have to go back to HGTV. Maybe I should move to the FIT channel....sure won't hurt.