Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Vegies and fruit are also carbs - could this be what the dietition was talking about rather than potatoes, rice, etc.? I have never heard that Protein turned to sugar, though... Have always heard that of starches but not protein. Any dietitions out there?

Phyll, you are an amazing gal! Good luck with those pesky knees. I have the same issues. Left one was replaced 5+ years ago and right one needs it soon. My orthopedic surgeon injected Euflexxa in the right knee in March and it is doing much better, though still not ready for prime time. I have hopes this surgery will help me get the pressure off the rt. knee and postpone the surgery indefinitely. Absolutely don't want the surgery now, as the months of recovery make aerobic exercise very difficult to accomplish. With the surgery on the left knee I gained about 30 pounds in the months following - which left me where I am now.

Keep going, Phyll! You are headed for 100% and nobody is going to stop you! ME, TOO!

Joann

Phyllser, my bone doctor said the same to me about lap band surgery....he wanted me to get gastric bypass because I won't lose enough weight to help my back. Then I went back Dr. Garth Davis and asked him about the lap band surgery and he said as long as I ate right and exercised I should do well on the lap band. So, you see, we just have to prove them wrong. Also there are alot of orthopedics that replace knees on obese people. My husband weighed over 300 when he had both of his knees replaced.

Congratulate me--I just had my first 'stuck."

I got filled on Monday (from 3.1 cc to 5.7 cc). NOW I know what restriction is. I just took too big of a bite of salmon and whoa--

I had a combination of feelings--part PAIN and part HAPPINESS--this thing is working!

I will be banded for 2 months in 4 days and I have lost 41 lbs....44 to go!

Okay, this is what the science teacher on our other thread says:

"Yes, Protein will turn to sugars through the digestion/metabolism process...

but it is a VERY LONG process and most of the Proteins are broken down into amino acids(building blocks of proteins) to help form DNA, enzymes, and muscle fibers in the body. Once the body has reached the level of amino acids that it needs it will then convert the excess nutrients in to sugars which are stored in the liver.

Here is the thing though...

it takes a LOT of energy to break down proteins and even more to convert them into sugar so your body is using more energy than it would need to break down carbohydrates.

Fat is the only thing that can't be converted into sugar.

That is why when you plateau on Atkins

they tell you to increase your fat levels and decrease your protein levels.

My opinion based on biochemistry is that proteins should be eaten with carbohydrates as it slows down the digestion process but proteins can be eaten by themselves.

Hope this wasn't too technical.

Please feel free to post this on the other site."

I think this is great! :clap2:

Now we can start separate threads for different issues and still pertain to the "50" crowd. I know I am only 49, but I lose like I am 59 :paranoid

I had breast cancer last year and I am 7months CANCER FREE yessssssssssss. good luck to you.

Phyll, you are an amazing gal! Good luck with those pesky knees. I have the same issues. Left one was replaced 5+ years ago and right one needs it soon. My orthopedic surgeon injected Euflexxa in the right knee in March and it is doing much better, though still not ready for prime time. I have hopes this surgery will help me get the pressure off the rt. knee and postpone the surgery indefinitely. Absolutely don't want the surgery now, as the months of recovery make aerobic exercise very difficult to accomplish. With the surgery on the left knee I gained about 30 pounds in the months following - which left me where I am now. Keep going, Phyll! You are headed for 100% and nobody is going to stop you! ME, TOO! Joann
Phyllser, my bone doctor said the same to me about lap band surgery....he wanted me to get gastric bypass because I won't lose enough weight to help my back. Then I went back Dr. Garth Davis and asked him about the lap band surgery and he said as long as I ate right and exercised I should do well on the lap band. So, you see, we just have to prove them wrong. Also there are alot of orthopedics that replace knees on obese people. My husband weighed over 300 when he had both of his knees replaced.

Interesting to note... the problem with the partial in my rt. knee is that the hardware is coming loose due to the weight loss. That's apparently what is causing it to begin to collapse down. But, YES, I will do this! Before I moved here, I lived in OK & ortho surgeon there did the partial on the rt. knee when I weighed a lot more than I do now. Maybe I should've asked him to do injections in the left knee. I have very little pain in the rt. It's the left one that hurts when I walk. Standing still for more than a few minutes bothers both. But I can work on the Wii and Wii Fit for up to an hour with just an occasional sit down for a few seconds without pain.

Did anyone have trouble getting on here this evening (Wed) I kept trying to come here and got "this page cannot be displayed" over and over. It was so frustrating! I am so addicted to LBT!

Did anyone have trouble getting on here this evening (Wed) I kept trying to come here and got "this page cannot be displayed" over and over. It was so frustrating! I am so addicted to LBT!

That has happened to me a few times in the past,

but not tonight!

Just a quick introduction -

I'm 58 and investigating my options at this stage.

I'm carrying 209 lbs. on a 5'4" body (with sore knees) that used to be much littler even after 3 full term pregnancies.

I sadly joke that I'm twice the woman I used to be (a trim, fit, tomboy, in colorful hand made clothing and now in elastic waist pants and shapeless shirts)

:redface:

But -

no one sees me -

I don't leave the house often and

I don't use a mirror larger than one necessary for mascara application

(hmmmmm - maybe there is a small spark left there yet!)

So -

In addition to joining this forum -

Today I will call 1st priority and take a baby-step.

Phyl, consider asking your current ortho about one of the artificial cartilage injections in your problem knee. According to my ortho, the injection process does not work for everyone, but it can decrease pain and increase mobility for many months when it does work. It took about 6-8 weeks before I began to feel it was really working, but it is much better. I talked to people who had success for a couple of years, and it can be done more than once. I was a nervous wreck before the first injection -- Wow! that has to HURT! I almost did not do it because I was so worried about that. Imagine how silly I felt when I didn't even feel it! (silly but relieved!) As I said, I am just hoping to "limp" along, get this weight off, and see what needs to be done next.

Welcome Elayne,

This is a great forum for folks at all stages of the process. I have not yet been banded, but have my paperwork in and it is being reviewed at this point in time. The wait is a bummer, takes patience and persistence, but it will all be worth it.

Good luck to you!

Phyl, consider asking your current ortho about one of the artificial cartilage injections in your problem knee. According to my ortho, the injection process does not work for everyone, but it can decrease pain and increase mobility for many months when it does work. It took about 6-8 weeks before I began to feel it was really working, but it is much better. I talked to people who had success for a couple of years, and it can be done more than once. I was a nervous wreck before the first injection -- Wow! that has to HURT! I almost did not do it because I was so worried about that. Imagine how silly I felt when I didn't even feel it! (silly but relieved!) As I said, I am just hoping to "limp" along, get this weight off, and see what needs to be done next.

I had some of those injections, mine was called Synvisc and it was made from rooster combs. A series of 3 injections one week apart. It's been 2 weeks since the last injection and I still have pain but guess it's not as bad as I used to take 6 to 8 ibuprofens a day and now take none (good thing since I had lap band surgery since then). I am hopeful after reading your post I'll get more relief as time goes along. Then at 6 mos I can get more injections. MY left knee is bone on bone, and right is not far behind he said but the right rarely hurts.

Hey it sounds like everyone is doing good right now. I lost two lbs from last Wed to yesterday so I was happy. Am trying to weigh only once a week (Janets orders) but it is hard. Phyl, I got a question for you. What is a five day pouch test? Is that to see if you need a fill or not? Just curious. I haven't gotten off of mushies yet. Got one more week of it and then on to food:tt2:. Glad to hear all is well with everyone.

Beckyo:tt1:

Tomorrow is my day of preop testing. I'm not looking forward to this, but it has to be done. Wish me luck!

Orea

Good luck Orea! It's never as bad as we think it's going to be, and it's only 1 day, right? Hope you get good results.