Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Yes, I'm getting the surgery done in Conroe at the Journey Lite clinic by Dr Richard Collier. It's day surgery. Lap band is all they do. and all the surgeon does. Now if Tricare will get off a dime, I will proceed with vigor.

Wow! I was gone for the weekend and I had a lot of catch up reading to do.

I see we have a lot of new bandsters. Don't get discouraged. I was sure the band would not work for me. I thought for sure with my slow metabolism and my age, weight loss would be impossible. I never thought I would see this size ever again.

It's hard to be patient, but if you follow the rules and get your fills, you will lose. Some people lose more slowly than others, and that is where the patience comes in. In the past, I always said "I am not losing so I might as well eat." The band didn't let me eat a whole pizza and low and behold, the scale would move again.

I do wonder how one can get in their minimum Protein amount with so few calories. The Protein Drinks are great early stages liquid, once mushies/soft are added your calories will increase. but do remember the protein. There are many people with Hair loss issues due to low protein intake. My protein was increased at 3 months to 80-90 gms per day. my blood work showed level to be low. and I am very careful to get in my protein. so I now add an extra Protein Shake each day and that seems to boost that level.

the first few weeks i was getting in a bit less than 900 calories, now I average 1100-1200 daily. znd xome days I do find that to be tough, but the biggest help I have found is to journal all my food. I use TheDailyPlate. It has a great resource of so many different brands, restaurant and exercises. just type in for your free membership and move forward.... :lol:

Yes, I'm getting the surgery done in Conroe at the Journey Lite clinic by Dr Richard Collier. It's day surgery. Lap band is all they do. and all the surgeon does. Now if Tricare will get off a dime, I will proceed with vigor.

That is Great!.....especially having a clinic closer to you. I wish you well with your insurance.

My name is Jean and I live in Corbin, Ky. I was banded in Georgetown, Ky. on April 17th, 2008. I have lost 40 pounds with 1 small fill. I am so glad that I had the lapband surgery, I feel so much better already and can walk without my cane. I have been reading some of the post and I am really impressed with everyone's accomplishments.

Jean:thumbup:

Long, Thank you and sometimes TMI is just what is needed. I hated to bring up that (gasp!) topic, but I guess it is a problem on all liquids.

Indio, Thank you. I feel better after reading your words. I did update my ticker, and I gained 4 pounds (I dropped 2 of the 6 I gained). I hope the other 4 and many more, come off soon. I had some SF pudding and will try to up my calories to 800 or 900 (but I worry that might be too high).

Oh, and I love Big Medicine, too and can't wait for it to come back on Discovery Health. I always want everyone on the show to succeed and get healthy -- just like we are all trying to do!

Nancy

Nancy - We are so programed not to eat on a "diet" but remember this is not a diet - this is a life style change for the rest of our lives... Under eating can cause your body to hold on to those fat cells - our bodies were built to help us survive during food shortages - which we no longer have - so make sure you eat Breakfast - just vary your calories - eat healthy foods (lower in fat - lower in sugar and refined carbs)

I'm glad there are folks on here closer to my age who have been or are continuing to be successful. I could no longer sit in a helicopter cockpit because of a bad hip and stopped to get it replaced. There was a malfunction in the hospital after the surgery that has permanently grounded my flying.

Leading up to the hip replacement, I worked out 2-4 hours a day in a YMCA, six days a week. After the malfunction, I can only walk with a cane, can't sleep full down in a bed, take pain medication every day to survive and gained 65 additional pounds in the year since the hip thing. I've fought the weight dragon my whole life, but lost control the last year. If I can't turn this horse, I'm headed for a stroke and will probably get a job in a carnival.

Now, I'm waiting for the insurance connections and I'm doing alternative certification to teach middle school math in rural Texas. This will be my fourth career, but I have to do a lot of standing to accomplish it. Like several have said, failure is not an option. I bought a high quality eliptic machine that can handle my 360 pounds. Can't walk but hopefully can do that plus lifting.:smile2:

Welcome Rousabout - You are too funny - you will be a great addition to our group - I admire all your careers - I have only had one -

Wow! I was gone for the weekend and I had a lot of catch up reading to do.

I see we have a lot of new bandsters. Don't get discouraged. I was sure the band would not work for me. I thought for sure with my slow metabolism and my age, weight loss would be impossible. I never thought I would see this size ever again.

It's hard to be patient, but if you follow the rules and get your fills, you will lose. Some people lose more slowly than others, and that is where the patience comes in. In the past, I always said "I am not losing so I might as well eat." The band didn't let me eat a whole pizza and low and behold, the scale would move again.

Hi Denise - I was wonder where you were - When others want to compare their weight lost to others - I tell them we are all diff - and some will not lose as fast as others - but if they keep plugging along they will succeed just like you... You are a prime example that hard work - tenacity pays off.. You are an inspiration...

I do wonder how one can get in their minimum Protein amount with so few calories. The protein drinks are great early stages liquid, once mushies/soft are added your calories will increase. but do remember the protein. There are many people with Hair loss issues due to low protein intake. My protein was increased at 3 months to 80-90 gms per day. my blood work showed level to be low. and I am very careful to get in my protein. so I now add an extra Protein Shake each day and that seems to boost that level.

the first few weeks i was getting in a bit less than 900 calories, now I average 1100-1200 daily. znd xome days I do find that to be tough, but the biggest help I have found is to journal all my food. I use TheDailyPlate. It has a great resource of so many different brands, restaurant and exercises. just type in for your free membership and move forward.... :lol:

Lynn - it's not just the protein factor in hair loss - many get all their protein and still lose their hair - my hair dresses says that its the lack of fat in our diets that is doing it - so make sure you get healthy fat.

and of course I am a BIG advocate of tracking your calories especially as a learning tool

Good Job...

My name is Jean and I live in Corbin, Ky. I was banded in Georgetown, Ky. on April 17th, 2008. I have lost 40 pounds with 1 small fill. I am so glad that I had the lapband surgery, I feel so much better already and can walk without my cane. I have been reading some of the post and I am really impressed with everyone's accomplishments.

Jean:thumbup:

Jean - Welcome and congrats on your 40 lbs gone - you are doing really great - We are a great group...

Hi I'm new, first time writing on this website. I heard about this site from someone at a Water aerobics class at the ymca. I've been band for three years and have struggled with the food every day. I turned 52 last March. Yes, it seems as though the weight does not move at all. I've taken off 60 pounds. It a very slow process for me. Luckily, I've been water jogging, swimming laps,and doing water strenght exercises for the past 5 months. I managed to take off 20 pounds with out really trying. I continue to do the water excerises in the water. Right now I believe I need to eat about 1200 cal a day inorder to really drop some pounds. I would like to hear from anybody who shares my story. Thanks

Edited by mlco123

Hi I'm new, first time writing on this website. I heard about this site from someone at a Water aerobics class at the ymca. I've been band for three years and have struggled with the food every day. I turned 52 last March. Yes, it seems as though the weight does not move at all. I've taken off 60 pounds. It a very slow process for me. Luckily, I've been water jogging, swimming laps,and doing water strenght exercises for the past 5 months. I managed to take off 20 pounds with out really trying. I continue to do the water excerises in the water. Right now I believe I need to eat about 1200 cal a day inorder to really drop some pounds. I would like to hear from anybody who shares my story. Thanks

Mlco- Welcome - AthinnerDenise is the longest person out who still post on this thread and I think she was banded in late 06 - I know that you totally get the memory lapses at our age. :lol:

If you want my opnion - yes I think 1200 is a good # and if you vary it to from day to day it helps - 1200 is my max calorie budget # and it's done well for me...

Yea, I was banded at the end of 06 for sure. 12-29-06. I have been banded now a year and a half.

The resting metabolic test was a wake up call for me. I always knew I had a slow metabolism, but somehow seeing the print out made it real for me. In order to lose, I needed to eat between 1000 and 1200 calories and plus exercise.

It's nice now to have a little wiggle room. I was gone for the weekend and gained 4 lbs that I lost without trying. I thought I was done losing.

I am sure I will lose that this week, but probably gain again over the weekend because we are going camping.

Honestly, I never thought I would say this, but with my restriction, I forget to eat. I usually go over to see my new grandson after work. If they feed me dinner, I eat. If they have already eaten dinner, I play with the baby until I feel like going home. The other day I got home at

9 pm and remembered that I never had dinner.

Janet, that's funny that you called me an inspiration. I was a real whiner when that scale wasn't moving!

Yea, I was banded at the end of 06 for sure. 12-29-06. I have been banded now a year and a half.

The resting metabolic test was a wake up call for me. I always knew I had a slow metabolism, but somehow seeing the print out made it real for me. In order to lose, I needed to eat between 1000 and 1200 calories and plus exercise.

It's nice now to have a little wiggle room. I was gone for the weekend and gained 4 lbs that I lost without trying. I thought I was done losing.

I am sure I will lose that this week, but probably gain again over the weekend because we are going camping.

Honestly, I never thought I would say this, but with my restriction, I forget to eat. I usually go over to see my new grandson after work. If they feed me dinner, I eat. If they have already eaten dinner, I play with the baby until I feel like going home. The other day I got home at

9 pm and remembered that I never had dinner.

Janet, that's funny that you called me an inspiration. I was a real whiner when that scale wasn't moving!

Denise

You never gave up - yep you b*tched about the scales not moving but you never gave up and said - forget this - you continued to plug along like the little train that could - and you did reach goal.. How many times in the past would you have just given up..

So yes for me you were/are an inspiration !!!!:lol:

I have restriction - but I NEVER forget to eat - especailly in the evenings dinner has always been my fav meal - if I am out shopping or something like that - ya I don't eat but dinner no way am I going to forget that meal :lol:-

I think my fill could use a tweak - I had a sandwich at lunch and it took a while to eat (steak from last night on lite bread) but by 2 ish I was hungry - so even though I ate hard Protein - it's not stay in my new little tummy long enough... I think I need like maybe .01 - but after last time I am sorta scared to get filled again - being to tight once was enough for me...

I agree totally. I was too tight for one entire weekend. It was horrible. I

am so perfect now, I would be afraid to mess with it. Every time I think maybe I need a fill, something gets a little stuck and I don't want to go back to that again.

I agree totally. I was too tight for one entire weekend. It was horrible. I

am so perfect now, I would be afraid to mess with it. Every time I think maybe I need a fill, something gets a little stuck and I don't want to go back to that again.

Exactly - I still get stuck sometimes too so I will just wait - I go back to the doc's on 7/30 for my annual ck up so I will just wait it out til then most likely..

not sure about my 2nd fill, but appt is scheduled for 7/10, so will see what the DR as to say!

Think I need a little something but not a whole lot, but then Dr is the final decision maker..

find myslef eating slower and taking smller bites and feel that has been a big help in the feeling os something being stuck, just a reminder that I need to think as I eat

Exactly - I still get stuck sometimes too so I will just wait - I go back to the doc's on 7/30 for my annual ck up so I will just wait it out til then most likely..

Almost got stuck on chicken tonight. Had to stop after 2-2 1/2 oz. Cut it up really small, ate slow, chewed it to death. Still got that telltale chest pain.

I have my one year follow-up on 7/16, and maybe a slight tweak.

Almost got stuck on chicken tonight. Had to stop after 2-2 1/2 oz. Cut it up really small, ate slow, chewed it to death. Still got that telltale chest pain.

I have my one year follow-up on 7/16, and maybe a slight tweak.

I just pb'd on spinach - but it's my fault - ate too much the last 2 bites came back up:drool: I know tmi - Gosh it seems like I am the only one who still want's to eat when they are full... I have been having major head hunger issues.... Well like I say it' never goes away.

Well off to bed I am beat - ttyl