Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I think restriction, and the sweet spot, is different for everyone. I don't mind relying on my will power to do the Portion Control and use the band as a second line of defense. I definately see it as a long term maintenance tool as well.

I'm losing slowly and that's fine with me.

Hi IndioGirl! I definitely need to S L O W D O W N....it's so easy to eat fast and take big bites when you get distracted! I know I don't need anymore restriction. I think I need to adjust my thinking....When I get hungry...the food looks so good and I want to eat ALL of it. I think this will probably be one of my biggest challenges. Just changing the self talk...grrrr

Yep slowing down - small bites and chewing is a problem for most of us. We get hungry - we start shoveling not chewing - but oh - will our bands remind us that it's there.

I have the same problems - I miss food - I miss eating - but I don't miss how terrible (sluggish) I felt - I love my energy level - I love my new look - I love my size 6's & 8's - I love all these things more than I miss the food.

Practice practice makes perfect - this is a learning process and it's going to take a while to unlearn lifetime habits..

Hi IndioGirl! I definitely need to S L O W D O W N....it's so easy to eat fast and take big bites when you get distracted! I know I don't need anymore restriction. I think I need to adjust my thinking....When I get hungry...the food looks so good and I want to eat ALL of it. I think this will probably be one of my biggest challenges. Just changing the self talk...grrrr

Hi Frisky, I have to say that this has been my challenge too. I still want to eat fast and take big bites. I was banded on May 12th and will have my first fill on 6/11. This morning I really concentrated on chewing, chewing, chewing. I had 1/4 cup egg beaters with 1 link chicken sausage = 150 cal and 20 gms Protein. I made myself eat slowly. Now I feel full and satisfied. I realize that the old habits will take time to overcome and maybe never so I have to be conscious about how and what I am eating. These posts have been so helpful to me. I feel like I am on this site all the time too for support. I haven't made it to our local support group yet. They are the first Thurs and last Wed of each month and I have not been able to go because of work. I know if I didn't have this site I would be lost. Thanks for all the helpful posts. Becky

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement. I've been to one local support group and I felt it was kind of a waste of time. It seemed like the leaders kind of made you feel guilty for having some of the feelings and habits we still have from before. I haven't posted as often as I read what is written here. This website and all of you help me much, much more. Thanks again.

You are welcome. That's what we are here for. When I was first banded, I spent hours and hours on this board. Now I am happy

to answer any questions anyone might have. Living with the band

is a learning process.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is normal to feel a little pain around your port site? I don't feel it all the time, just once in a while. I was banded 4/21/08 and have my first fill on Monday, thank God. I find I can eat more than I could in the first 4 weeks. Can these little pangs around my port be gas or maybe because I hade 6oz instead of 4 oz of food for a meal?

Of course today I had to go buy dog food which was a 40lb bag, 36_22_11.gifand yes I pick it up to put in my car. I really didn't pull anything.

And I feel better when I take my bra off.36_19_3.gif

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is normal to feel a little pain around your port site? I don't feel it all the time, just once in a while. I was banded 4/21/08 and have my first fill on Monday, thank God. I find I can eat more than I could in the first 4 weeks. Can these little pangs around my port be gas or maybe because I hade 6oz instead of 4 oz of food for a meal?

Of course today I had to go buy dog food which was a 40lb bag, 36_22_11.gifand yes I pick it up to put in my car. I really didn't pull anything.

And I feel better when I take my bra off.36_19_3.gif

Port site will still bug me every now and then even now - You are still healing - talk to your doc on monday...

Thanks Janet, I will ask them on Monday, I don't think it's anyting serious, but it's better to be safe then sorry.

Hope all is going well, you're a God send on this board along with alot of others.

You inspire us all.

36_22_24.gif sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZNfox000

Edited by DANDY75

Hi Dandy, Yes I have been feeling the same way. Just lately after I eat I feel some pain and pressure at my port site. I kind of sit way back in my recliner and put a little pressure with my hand at the site and it relieves the discomfort somewhat. I am wondering if it is gas pains. I am having my fill on Thurs and will discuss this with my surgeon then. I know that I have been eating a little more than when I was first banded. I am kind of glad that someone else is having the same experience. Not that I wish anyone any pain or pressure, but maybe it just means that it is normal. Becky

Hi Becky,

I do the same thing, put a little pressure on it and it feels alittle better. I can't wait to get my 1st fill. I don't want to start turning 6oz. of food into 16oz. It just seem to go down to easy.

Good luck Thursday, I'll let you all know how I make out on Monday. 62.giff?id=10492

I have been really working at keeping my portions down lately :(. Haven't lost a pound in 2 1/2 weeks. I wanted to feel more restriction like others on this site but I feel the same (as some others on this site...) :(. I asked my Dr to be aggressive so he gave me 3cc's in my 10cc band for my first fill and I go back for a second on July 7th. I have heard that this may kick in suddenly at any given time.....why is that? It just doesn't make sense that it doesn't start the minute the fill is put in....:confused2: Oh by the way, I had NO problem with the actual fill, only a tiny little prick of the needle and it was in. That was a blessing.

Anyhow, I will keep on truckin and continue to work towards my goal. My boyfriend says I am just too anxious to be at goal and I am sure he is right. This is so exciting but a little part of me keeps thinking I am going to be in the low percentile that fails at this too...

Thanks for that article Janet. That really helped me a lot. I have been doing really good this week with not eating after dinner. I want to break that habit.

Yvonne, don't worry. The band will work for you. I was really worried that it wouldn't work for me. It really didn't work for me until I got the right fill.

I am one of the people that can eat anything I want without trouble.

Tonight my daughter wanted to go for pizza. I didn't want to because

it's not really a good calorie choice, but it was really what she wanted.

I ordered myself a little mini pizza and the pieces are like 2-3" long. They are tiny. I ate one piece (cheese pizza, no toppings) and the cheese off one other piece. I was stuffed. There is no way I could have eaten more.

In the past, I would have eaten the entire pizza, and wanted some of my daughter's too.

Restriction is a great thing!

Hi Yvonneb, I have been feeling a little discouraged lately too. During the Protein Drink phase I lost like crazy but since eating foods I have not dropped a pound. I am eating about 800-950 cals per day, getting good Proteins, no junk foods, plenty of Water, increasing my exercise but nothing is happening. I had my LB on May 12th and I will have my first fill June 11th. I hope the weight starts to come off because I am starting to feel like one of the low percentile too. I am trying to keep a good attitude. I think today I might just go back to the Protein Drinks only for a couple of days and see if anything budges. Glad to hear that the fill wasn't uncomfortable. How did he access the site? Did he use xray or ultrasound or just by feel? Becky