Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

SHARONCRIST1955--

That sounds odd to me. I hope you call your MD in the AM. If it gets worse or painful tonight -- or if you get even more nausea - I hope you go to the hospital just to be on the safe side.

Thanks to those who answered my post. AthinnerDenise you should have been a bariatric surgeon, lol. I called my doctor and he gave me the same advice. Obviously I forgot the rules and after the fill I was trying to eat crepes, mac/cheese, etc. I am doing liquids and mush and now have no problems except for the usual burp after every mouthful. Last night made polenta, for the southerners on this site that is actually corn meal mush. I did it Italian style and it was fabulous and stayed put. Yeah! Thank you all for your good advice.

After 3 months on the band, here is what I have learned (and sometimes re-learned! several times):

1. You have to diet to lose weight. Eating randomly does NOT work.

2. Going to Weight Watchers to weigh in makes me accountable and I start losing weight again. The WW structure works for me. No I didn't tell them I was banded.

3. Ice cream and chocolate go down REAL easy even If I have restriction.

4. I can't eat sugar. Period. I won't lose weight. It makes me want more sugar just like before the band (although my level of craving is less)

5. I can resist sugar better because of the band. I don't have the cravings I used to have. Thank goodness!

6. When I am not losing weight, it's because I am underestimating how many calories I am really eating. Just like before the band.

7. I don't lose weight unless I exercise. Walking for 45 minutes does it. Just like before the band.

8. Eating Medifast high Protein Bars works well for me. Eating Snickers bars does not.

9. I miss chomping into a big Red Robin hamburger sometimes. Those days are over and I grieve a bit for them. But then I look at my big jeans and feel better.

10. When I am feeling uneasy, I go look for food but going for a walk makes me feel better.

11. The band has made it easier for me to make good choices and decide to exercise instead of eating when I am feeling jicky and upset.

12. The band has saved my life but I need to do my part. There are no magic cures in this world. I am responsible for myself.

13. I bought a new "comfort bike" with my Stimulus check from the government. It is beautiful and very comfortable indeed! Electra Townie 8 in baby blue!

That's all- I'd love to hear others ideas on what they have learned since joining the BAND!

Love and success on all your journeys.

Sadie

One more thing.

14. Change is hard. It is hard to change how you are eating after 50 odd years.

Changing your immediate response to life events and your attitude towards food is hard.

It takes time to learn new ways. Give yourself a break and don't expect perfection right away.

Expect to struggle but resolve to win the war and be different.

Nothing changes if nothing changes.

Sadie

Sadie, Thanks for the fantastic sharing of your experience and reflections on living with the band. We have to always remember that this is a tool and that it works only when we work with it. I am going to save your post and put it on my refrigerator as a reminder to keep focused on good eating and exercise behaviors. Life has been made a little easier for me now that I have some control over my portions but I should never forget that I have to do my part. Thanks again for your very thoughtful words of advise. Becky

Becky- thanks for the kind words.

I think I'll keep the post and put it on MY refrig too. It is so easy for me to "forget" the truth and curse about not losing weight.

Or maybe I should put a mirror on the refrigerator! A full length one!

Waddya think? Wouldn't that cut the obesity rate in the US??? Yuk yuk --I'm gonna write to Frigadare and Kenmore. The anti-obesity refrig!

Sadie

Sadie--

what a terrific post!! Loved it! I'm going to copy and tape it right next to my list of reasons for wanting to lose weight. Thanks!

Sadie, those are all fabulous things on your list. The band really does work if we do our part. I wish the ice cream didn't go down as easily.

That's what I crave and give into eventually. At least now it's only occasionally rather than on a regular basis.

Thanks to those who answered my post. AthinnerDenise you should have been a bariatric surgeon, lol. I called my doctor and he gave me the same advice. Obviously I forgot the rules and after the fill I was trying to eat crepes, mac/cheese, etc. I am doing liquids and mush and now have no problems except for the usual burp after every mouthful. Last night made polenta, for the southerners on this site that is actually corn meal mush. I did it Italian style and it was fabulous and stayed put. Yeah! Thank you all for your good advice.

You know, after being banded for quite awhile now, it's pretty easy. I was a newcomer at some point too, and everything I learned, I learned from this board and very little from anywhere else. I am glad things are going better for you!

Sadie, you should teach a class. Loved your post. Have been banded since 5/6/08. Will be going for my first fill on 6/16. Everything you said made so much sense. Take care and thanks for the encouraging advise. Sharon

Hi Everyone! I had my first fill today, 30 days after being banded. I honestly don't feel anything different and I am still starving! I haven't lost anymore weight since starting on regular food again. I am getting nervous that this is going to work. I am back on liquids today and mushies tomorrow but this is way harder than after surgery when I wasn't hungry at all. I want that feeling back. Is it unusual to not feel any restriction after the first fill?

Thanks Denise, they said I can come back in two weeks so that's what I'll do, it's a little frustrating!!

I am nine days post op, doing fine. I hear so much about gas, and I sure have it. It is not the "gas" that can settle in the shoulder post op. But, it is common to have so much INTESTINAL gas??? As in lots of huge farts?? (sorry to be blunt). Is that what everyone means when they are speaking of "gas"? I can let it go, and there is still lots of it that builds up all day...no pain really just annoyance. :lol:

Also, 'still on Clear Liquids, is that why??

Thanks, ChristyC

Edited by ChristyC

I am 8 days post op and I was only on clears for 5 days post op. On day 4 I started having the gas. After I had a BM on the 6&7 day the gas seems to have eased quite a bit. I have been on full liquids since Tue. and I am still hungry. Even dog food looks good on TV. A lot of my soreness has really gone at this point. I am really feeling a lot better even the pains for prior to the surgery are better. If you are walking that is when I can pass a lot of gas.Hope this helps.

Mecia

Sadie,36_1_75.gif

What agreat post, I'm only 5 weeks post-op and learning everyday new things that help me alot from this board. Thanks for sharing.