Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Thanks, Indiogirl. I know I can do this. I just don't know how to ask for help sometimes and that gets me in trouble. A person cannot be in this world and handle their troubles all alone. I am going to try and talk about my things a little more.

I have noticed your posts and you are so much help to people and so positive. Thanks for your encouragement.

Darling - we all are fat chicks together - we all have the same feeling about our fatness - maybe diff issues - but in the wash they come out the same.

I too have a hard time asking for help - I am very independant - but we are here for you - you don't have to be afraid of us - we aren't going to belittle you or your feelings about your issues with food - no one knows or understands a fat person like another fat person can - skinny people just don't get us - most of us are night eaters - closet eaters etc - my strenghts come from helping others - cuz in my opinion it you are going to talk the talk you gotta walk the walk - and I have walked the walk - I know the feelings associated with being morbity obese

Come share your good and bad times - and like Mary said - give it over to God or whomever your higher power is it does help - I thank him every day for my band and me ...

Look forward to reading your future post - this is a great place - I got most of my info on the band from the over 50 ladies and support.. I am just paying it forward...

IndioGirl, You really hit the nail on the head...we fat people understand each other. Every one of my friends are the skinny people (lovely but skinny). Each one of them has asked me...if I can lose the weight, why have the surgery. One even went so far as to add that it is mutilating my body. I feel that I mutilate my body every time I gain another pound!

We are all blessed to have the opportunity to have the lap band and I feel blessed to have the opportunity to bounce things off of each of you. I have been lurking and looking at the "fifties" site for a couple of weeks now. I am happy I opened the door and sat down. Thank you for making me feel welcome here!

Hi Girlies,

I'm older than anyone that I've seen posted on this site, so I am wondering if there is anyone my age who has had Lap-Band done. I'm 63 years old; I've had diabetes for 10 years and been on meds for that, high blood pressure and cholesterol for all that time. Luckily all my numbers are in good ranges and I am pretty healthy. Some people, including one doctor, say that I am not fat enough to go the Lap-Band route. I weigh 225, and am 5' 4", and I wonder how much larger he thinks I need to be before I have this done. Or older? :biggrin: My diabetes doctor thinks this is a good idea because meds won't take care of my diabetes indefinitely, and I don't want to go on insulin. So I'm off on a new adventure...an adventure for the rest of my life.

I am still jumping through the hoops that my doctor requires before I ever see him. I appreciate his diligence, although it takes a lot of time to do all this, and I wish that I could get the show on the road faster. However, I am having the most thorough check-ups that I have had in my life. Today I go for 4 different heart checks.:biggrin: It is all for the best! I can wait. I've seen the dietician and had long discussions with her and go to two seminars next week, one by the doctor and one by the dietician. They are thorough! I have recently rejoined the YMCA and go daily to classes for seniors and take aqua exercise. Thought I'd get started early. My doctor requires we loose some weight first, and I've got only 7 or 8 to go. So the process is coming along.

Do any of you know of someone my age having Lap-Band? I feel that I am healthy enough and have many years ahead of me that I want to be good ones, so I am feeling charged to do this. Any words of encouragement from all you ladies over 50?

:smile:Kathy JB

Hi Kathy I am 65 and had lapband surgery last Sept. I've lost a total of 36 pounds so far. I have more energy than I did but most important to me my insulin has gone from 70 units to 30 units. I expect that as I continue that number will continue to decrease. I also should tell you that this is not easy.... But IMHO very worthwhile. Good luck.

Nance

Kathy JB...welcome and good luck with all of your tests. I am sure you will fit right in with us "fifties". There is a site for "sixties" also. When you open LapBand.com, scroll down until you see what you are looking for. It's on the left hand side. Hope you find the info you are looking for.

Hi Girlies,

I'm older than anyone that I've seen posted on this site, so I am wondering if there is anyone my age who has had Lap-Band done. I'm 63 years old; I've had diabetes for 10 years and been on meds for that, high blood pressure and cholesterol for all that time. Luckily all my numbers are in good ranges and I am pretty healthy. Some people, including one doctor, say that I am not fat enough to go the Lap-Band route. I weigh 225, and am 5' 4", and I wonder how much larger he thinks I need to be before I have this done. Or older? :biggrin: My diabetes doctor thinks this is a good idea because meds won't take care of my diabetes indefinitely, and I don't want to go on insulin. So I'm off on a new adventure...an adventure for the rest of my life.

I am still jumping through the hoops that my doctor requires before I ever see him. I appreciate his diligence, although it takes a lot of time to do all this, and I wish that I could get the show on the road faster. However, I am having the most thorough check-ups that I have had in my life. Today I go for 4 different heart checks.:biggrin: It is all for the best! I can wait. I've seen the dietician and had long discussions with her and go to two seminars next week, one by the doctor and one by the dietician. They are thorough! I have recently rejoined the YMCA and go daily to classes for seniors and take aqua exercise. Thought I'd get started early. My doctor requires we loose some weight first, and I've got only 7 or 8 to go. So the process is coming along.

Do any of you know of someone my age having Lap-Band? I feel that I am healthy enough and have many years ahead of me that I want to be good ones, so I am feeling charged to do this. Any words of encouragement from all you ladies over 50?

:smile:Kathy JB

Kathy - My friend Phyl is 60 something - she mia cuz her internet connection is down - but she was banded in July and is down over 60 lbs - she use to use her scooter all the time - now she is walking more - she needs a knee replacment but once she gets that - watch out she is a ball of energy

I was 52 when banded and I had TONS of test - flunked the treadmill - had to go for a nuclear stress test - lungs - mamo - pap - colon - shrink - 14 vials of blood - xrays - did this all in 6 weeks... Met surgeon on 5/31 and had surgery on the 7/17 - would have had it on the 10th but hadn't finished all my test - heck 7/13 had colonoscopy..

I feel 10 yrs younger - the band is a great tool to help us with our Portion Control and for us over 50 we know that more than half our life is gone and we want to improve on the years left.

I didn't have to do any kind of supervised diet but I self paid. My daughter had to do it for a year. Her insurance company wanted to be sure she couldn't lose weight on her own.

I still don't know what's going on with me. I am still feeling very full after very few bites. I got this fill at the beginning of Dec. and this

is just weird. The scale has to move this week. I don't see how it couldn't.

You know what.... if they have another "Bandster Bash" in Seattle next Feb, a bunch of us should try to go. It would be fun. I think they usually have it around "President's Day" on a Fri-Sun. This is the 6th year they've had it and it was at a big hotel by the airport.

Great I-dea Phyll!!! But rather than Seattle, lets all go to the Desert and stay with Janet!!!!!!!

Just for us +50 gals.... hee,hee

Great I-dea Phyll!!! But rather than Seattle, lets all go to the Desert and stay with Janet!!!!!!!

Just for us +50 gals.... hee,hee

You can :biggrin:- our weather is better than Seattle's - February is usually a good month in the Desert - and I bet you Northern people would love a little sun.

I have one guess room with a double bed and there is always the couch..

and you can still take your shoes off - except if they are sandals (thongs) - then you gotta but them up cuz my little babies will chew them up :smile2:.. I can't tell you how many times I have YELLED at them - so now I have to make sure they are in the closet and the door is closed...

I've got dibs on the couch! :blushing:

Yea, we should all plan a bash near Janet. I am sure Palm Springs has great places to stay.

I think my stomach or pouch was irritated for a few days and that was why I couldn't eat. I don't know what would cause that. Today I was able to eat better. I am still being really careful though because I have been on a plateau for so long and I really want that scale to move. Everyone tells me the last few lbs are the hardest to lose.

It's weird that I haven't lost anything but pants I couldn't wear a month ago, I can wear now.

This weekend is my daughter's baby shower so I will have to watch everyone eat cake:sneaky:

Yea, we should all plan a bash near Janet. I am sure Palm Springs has great places to stay.

I think my stomach or pouch was irritated for a few days and that was why I couldn't eat. I don't know what would cause that. Today I was able to eat better. I am still being really careful though because I have been on a plateau for so long and I really want that scale to move. Everyone tells me the last few lbs are the hardest to lose.

It's weird that I haven't lost anything but pants I couldn't wear a month ago, I can wear now.

This weekend is my daughter's baby shower so I will have to watch everyone eat cake:sneaky:

Denise - Since I live here I think why would anyone want to come here - it's just the stupid desert :blushing: but it is really pretty at times and the weather is great except in the summer - we have mountains - we are about 2 hrs from the beach - so it is a good place. I guess I just take it for granted:cool2:

Congrats on the losing your pants :wub: - that good !!!

That's a great NSV...

Now as for the the Baby Shower - Me personnaly I would have 1/2 to 1 piece of cake - That would be just too much for me not to eat it - well that being said - I did say no to all the xmas sweets at the office during christmas - - now I wouldn't bring it home or if the shower is at your house I would make them take it - cuz I would make a pig out of my if i was left alone with it - it would win -or - go in the trash...

When is the baby due??

AS OF TODAY

I AM OFFICALLY JUST OVER WEIGHT

I AM NO LONGER MORBITY OBESE

(which I was when I started this journey)

I AM NOT EVEN OBESE

THE WORD OBESE

NO LONGER APPLIES TO ME

I AM JUST OVERWEIGHT !!!!

:thumbup::lol::)

Banane10.gifBanane10.gifBanane10.gif

Oh yeah, I want to be "just overweight", too! Our thin friends would never understand that statement!!!!!

Congratulations on being overweight!