Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi All,

I was banded 1/31/08...weight loss to date has been 31 lbs. but now I find myself able to consume much more food. I know that a 1/4 to 1/2 of a cup is the norm but feel I could eat much more. I am adhering to what I am suppose to be eating. Just wondering if I possibly slipped my band. I go to see the Dr. on Monday...hopefully for a fill.....

Hi all! I am 52 and was banded almost a year ago. I have hit a serious plateau and am journaling on Fitday in prep to meat with the nutritionist. I workout 5 days a week, drink 1 Protein Drink in the morning and am eating between 1100 - 1200 cal/day. I know I need to eat more fruits and veggies but those seem to be the things that get stuck. I am very tight in the morning and loosen up as the day goes on. i know it's time to get away from the liquids and mushies and stick to the food that fills me up and stays awhile. Trouble is I just am having a hard time finding what that is that doesn't cause me to PB.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I'm from Tacoma, WA so I saw that there are a few of you from the NW too. I really wanted to be 20 more pounds down by my one year band anniversary but not sure how to kick start this w/o going on a liquid fast. That seems counter productive to the life-style change I'm working on.

You don't have to wait 2 hours to drink Water after a meal! It's one hour. I don't know anyone on here that has to wait 2 hours.

My doctor actually says two hours after a meal but unlike others on here he says you can drink up until the first bite of food. It works fine for me. I just have to be sure to drink a lot after the 2 hours and before the next meal to get in my day's water--especially since he wants me to eat four small meals a day. Takes some getting used to because I don't like to drink after 6 p.m. to avoid getting up a lot during the night. Anyway, I can usually get in my 64-oz a day if I count the herb tea I drink at work. FWIW.

It's amazing to me how many fills some of you get and how early after being banded you can get them. My Dr. keeps telling me that as long as I am losing I don't need a fill. I am almost 4 months post-surgery and haven't had a fill yet. I have lost 38 pounds without one so I guess I shouldn't be complaining. Actually I am needle-phobic so the thought of getting a fill scares me to death anyway. Keep up the good work all you amazing people. Your progress inspires me.

HI my name is Jeri and I just wanted to let you know that I am 10months out and have only had 2 fills. I am apparently very sensitive -ha-who knew- and have lost 80 lbs with only 2 fills only about 3 cc. it is true that each person is different as I didnt get my first fill until 4 months out. just hang in there and let your body tell you what it needs.

Janet and Denise and anyone else who cares to - would you tell me what you eat to get 60 grams of Protein in without using things like slim fast and protein powders? Nance

Nance - I can have 3 meals - plus 2 healthy Snacks - here is typical day

BF - Yogurt & 1/4 cup granola 6 pt grms - snack -1/3 South Beach PT bar 6 grms - lunch 3 oz of fish or meat & veggies - 21 grms of pt - dinner 4 oz fish 28 grms pt - 1/4 c rice & 1/4 to 1/2 c veggies - Snack Yogurt or pudding anywhere between 5 or 3 grms pt - and sometimes a clear protein drink which i get from my doc that has 15 grms pt. = 60 + grams a day

you have 7 grms of protein per 1 oz of meat - I sometimes have eatbeaters (southwest style) with a 1 oz of ham and 1/3 cup of cheese & onion & bell peppers (12 grms pt)- or weight control oatmeal has 7 grms of pt - I love the south beach Protein Bars 210 calories & 19 grams of pt - they are great like dessert - depending on my hunger and what I have eating during the day (weekends I usually don't eat 3 meals if i am out and about so I will have a sb prt bar to get my pt..

You gotta read labels - I count only protein & calories and I keep a food/exercise diary - I walk 3.5 miles on the treadmill 3 - 4 or 5 days a week depending on my schedule - I eat out about once every 2 weeks and sometimes once a week..

Janet that is so tempting! I will have to think about it. It's scary to me because some times I think I will never be able to lose this last 10 lbs.

You should be proud of me though. My friend that wants the band because she had open heart surgery and has diabetes called me and said she made brownies. I keep telling her that I don't think she could lose weight even with the band because she wouldn't follow the rules.

She is one of those people that thinks the band is the magic cure.

I told her to call me when all the brownies were gone, and then I would come over.

Denise - I AM SO PROUD OF YOU NO BROWNIES :lol: WAY TO GO... Yes I know about ppl wanting the band but can't say no to food - heck she had open heart surgery and still eating junk :lol:. I have a gf who has 30 lbs to lose - went to mexico got banded - but they drink... So we will see how she does.. You will lose those last 10 lbs just like I am going to lose my last 15 - just wanted to motivate you to think postivilty:rolleyes: - and saying no to those brownies is just proof that you will get there :biggrin2:

Hi All,

I was banded 1/31/08...weight loss to date has been 31 lbs. but now I find myself able to consume much more food. I know that a 1/4 to 1/2 of a cup is the norm but feel I could eat much more. I am adhering to what I am suppose to be eating. Just wondering if I possibly slipped my band. I go to see the Dr. on Monday...hopefully for a fill.....

Bombero - I have always eaten more than 1/4 to 1/2 cup - I eat about a cup for Breakfast - 1 to 1/2 for lunch and dinner - I doubt that your band has slipped - you should be getting a fill at about 6 weeks out - Prior to my fill i could eat 2 cups of food - but that extra cup usually was just veggies - I am a WW girl - so if I am hungry I try to fill up on veggies not the bad stuff.

Hi all! I am 52 and was banded almost a year ago. I have hit a serious plateau and am journaling on Fitday in prep to meat with the nutritionist. I workout 5 days a week, drink 1 protein drink in the morning and am eating between 1100 - 1200 cal/day. I know I need to eat more fruits and veggies but those seem to be the things that get stuck. I am very tight in the morning and loosen up as the day goes on. i know it's time to get away from the liquids and mushies and stick to the food that fills me up and stays awhile. Trouble is I just am having a hard time finding what that is that doesn't cause me to PB.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I'm from Tacoma, WA so I saw that there are a few of you from the NW too. I really wanted to be 20 more pounds down by my one year band anniversary but not sure how to kick start this w/o going on a liquid fast. That seems counter productive to the life-style change I'm working on.

Hi Wen & Welcome

Yep both phyl & denise are from up your way - phyl is here in the desert with me right now as she & her DH are snowbirds as we like to call them (that's a nice word for all the people who come to the desert and cause all the traffic problems for us who live here full time and try to get to work or home or shop - Phyl you know this is with love and I am teasing you:lol:) As to getting stuck and pbing - usually happens if i eat too fast - don't chew or take one too many bites.

HI my name is Jeri and I just wanted to let you know that I am 10months out and have only had 2 fills. I am apparently very sensitive -ha-who knew- and have lost 80 lbs with only 2 fills only about 3 cc. it is true that each person is different as I didnt get my first fill until 4 months out. just hang in there and let your body tell you what it needs.

Jeri - Welcome to you too - Yep my doc say there are people who 6 months out still don't have a fill - I have had 3 and the last one had to have most taken out cuz I was too tight.. I think I am at my sweet spot - am schedule to go back end of March - but doubt I will need a fill.

Thanks Janet and Denise I had my third fill on Thursday and I think I have a little restriction. I did something yesterday that I have never done before - made a meal plan for the week and a grocery list from the meal plan. I had help because I use Sparkpeople but even so I consider this a BIG step forward. You two are my heroes. I hope to be close to Goal by this time next year. I'm getting serious about this now!!

BTW add me to the Northwest group. I am in Southern Oregon.

Nance

Hey everyone!

I'm getting banded March 4 and am looking forward to the process. I don't have many questions now, but I'm sure that I will be asking for advice soon thereafter. I enjoy reading all of your posts and you all have answered a lot of questions that I didn't even need to post! I'm 53 years young.

Thanks Janet and Denise I had my third fill on Thursday and I think I have a little restriction. I did something yesterday that I have never done before - made a meal plan for the week and a grocery list from the meal plan. I had help because I use Sparkpeople but even so I consider this a BIG step forward. You two are my heroes. I hope to be close to Goal by this time next year. I'm getting serious about this now!!

Nance

Nance - CONGRATULATION & WAY TO GO:thumbup:

Planning is one of the keys to success - it helps you to avoid running to the store cuz you don't have anything to eat - or going out to eat at lunch cuz you didn't bring anything...

I am proud of you girl:thumbup: -

Hey everyone!

I'm getting banded March 4 and am looking forward to the process. I don't have many questions now, but I'm sure that I will be asking for advice soon thereafter. I enjoy reading all of your posts and you all have answered a lot of questions that I didn't even need to post! I'm 53 years young.

Hey SSdown - Welcome :biggrin2:

I am 53 yrs young too :tongue:and feel 43 yr with most of my weight gone -

This is a great group - we do have issues that the younger ones don't - most of us have lost it gained it lost it gained it - you know the drill -

IMHO the band is a great tool...

We are here for you - questions, concerned - ideas - suggestions - all welcomed.. We are glad to have you...

Well i am a new girl at age 49 , I thought you wouldn't mind me saying hey..i have just been banded on Feb 22/08 in Victoria bc great experience no problems except gas in my stomach....

What is PB ing and sliming....???

Welcome Jacque - there is a thread on the main page - FAQ where they explaind all the terms -DH dear or damn hubby depending on your mood DW is wife DIL daughter in law etc...

Productive burp - this is where a food gets stuck and it comes back up in a burp sort of like throwing up but without the stomach acid and you usually slime (your body produces saliva to try and help the food pass down pass the band - sometimes is works and sometimes it doesn't you will have the slime as we call it come up into your mouth sometimes you have so much you have to spit it out - then a PB will follow - see the thread I mentioned above it gives a better explaination...

Nance

Where are you in Southern Oregon? I am on the Southern Oregon Coast.

I went out to dinner this evening but I was hardly able to eat. That made me happy. I ate 1/2 of a cup of Soup, a couple bites of my meat and a couple pieces of broccoli flowertops. I just felt stuffed. It's great. I brought the rest home so I will eat it tomorrow. I am really hoping the scale is going to move this week.

mistymoon - I grew up in Medford and still have lot's of family there. I also have a sister who is a teacher in Grant's Pass. Are you from any of those places?

Where are you in Southern Oregon? I am on the Southern Oregon Coast.

I went out to dinner this evening but I was hardly able to eat. That made me happy. I ate 1/2 of a cup of Soup, a couple bites of my meat and a couple pieces of broccoli flowertops. I just felt stuffed. It's great. I brought the rest home so I will eat it tomorrow. I am really hoping the scale is going to move this week.

I'm in Brookings You must be close. There aren't that many towns down here. lol

mistymoon - I grew up in Medford and still have lot's of family there. I also have a sister who is a teacher in Grant's Pass. Are you from any of those places?

Sorry didn't see your post when I answered Denise As you can see I'm in Brookings but when we need to do serious shopping we go to Medford or Grants Pass. DH doesn't like going over the pass in rainy weather and we have LOTS of rainy weather. I love it here wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Nance