Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I was banded on October 8th. Lost 24 lbs and have 1.5 cc of fill. Thanksgiving I felt like I could eat anything. Did not eat what I used to but am feeling the guilt and depression again. I think I did gain about 5 lbs though. Do I need another fill or am I just having head hunger? How do you know? Also, I am looking for either a treadmill or eliptical machine......which one have you heard is best for our age?

Cheryl

Hang in there, Cheryl...sounds like you need a fill. Try not to get discouraged. Call your doc to see when you can get in. It's a tough time b/4 your reach a spot where you are not hungry. We have all been there. Don't beat yourself up...just get back on tract NOW. You will feel so much better about things. I use a treadmill but have heard the ellipticals are so much easier on the knees. I do not have problems with knees anymore but think the workouts with the ellipticals are better.

Apple,

Thanks for the encouragement. I need people like you to remind me of these things. I will be going Thursday to get a fill but I have a real fear of getting too much. I only have 1.5 in a 10cc band right now. They don't want to put too much in at a time. How do you know if it is too full? I live 2.5 hours away from this surgeon so I have to be sure before I go home because believe me they wouldn't know what to do at our hospital. Please try and keep me motivated for awhile, I get in a rut and that is what happens to me I start giving up. I know I haven't done real bad but I feel like it because I was doing so well before Thanksgiving.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Apple,

Thanks for the encouragement. I need people like you to remind me of these things. I will be going Thursday to get a fill but I have a real fear of getting too much. I only have 1.5 in a 10cc band right now. They don't want to put too much in at a time. How do you know if it is too full? I live 2.5 hours away from this surgeon so I have to be sure before I go home because believe me they wouldn't know what to do at our hospital. Please try and keep me motivated for awhile, I get in a rut and that is what happens to me I start giving up. I know I haven't done real bad but I feel like it because I was doing so well before Thanksgiving.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Cheryl...we all have a little ruts that we get into. Try to just focus on your successes and you will be fine. I feel that a person is lucky if a fill doc is careful and does not give much of a fill at a time. I know it is extra travel for someone like yourself that has to travel a distance. Just get the fills that are recommended by your doc. Sounds like he will not overfill you. It does happen and that is why I am very careful to stay at a spot where I have a little hunger but still get that satiated feeling for about 4 hours after a meal. You will know it when you get there. It actually took about a month for my second fill to kick in. I was really wishy washy that month about not knowing if I would need another fill. Then one day I just felt it. It pays to wait and see. You can always PM me any time with any questions you might have. There is also a thread started by Indiogirl "I'm here to help". Find that thread and go there also. I have enjoyed it. Janet (Indiogirl) and others on that thread got me through a couple tough spots. I was feeling like I was all alone in this until I connected with my June girls, the 50's and Indio's thread. Just don't feel like you are alone. We've all been through what you are going through. Rely on people to get you through. You can get there. Get the fills you need and tame your hunger and you will notice such a difference! Sending hugs your way. K

Goodness you gals were prolific posters while I was away! I had over 6 pages to read. Can't respond to everything but picked a few below. As for ellipticals vs. treadmills I love the elliptical but I have bad knees.

We had a good time on vacation. But I have so much work today. so many dirty clothes, stuff to put away, etc. and tonight my FIL (a retired butcher) is coming over to help DH and DBIL cut up their deer meat (3 deer). I'm not going to have to buy meat in a long time for him, I don't eat it but he does. I walked a lot in the fields and I couldn't do that at all last year. I did well foodwise, had one dessert. But I came home up a half a pound. Was bummed by that. Our puppy, Lucy, who will be 1 on Friday did great on her first hunt. All the others were so impressed by here and DH's uncle wanted to buy her. She's my dog and not for sale!! The fact that she hunts was just a bonus for DH. LOL His dog, "Hunter", turned out not to be much of a hunter. They are both our dogs but we each picked out 'our' dog when we got a puppy.

Janet, I have been thinking about why I might have pb'd. I think it is stress. I have been taking care of my mother in the hospital for the past week. She had conjestive heart failure. Then yesterday, I had to take her to a nursing home for rehab. I haven't driven on freeways at night in a long time. Well, I had no chose. Anyway, after I made it home, I ate fast food....a breakfst jack without the bun. It went down, but that bite of the hash brown....whew....it was bad. I pb'd off and on for an hour. Today, I have had cream of wheat, a cup of Soup, and tried to eat veggies and fish, but I can't burp, and got pains in my chest. I am better this evening. There again, it is better for me not to eat hard foods when I am under stress. My gut must swell or something. What do you think?

I think stress must do something. I haven't PB'd in a while, am getting a fill on Thurs. yet while on vacation PB'd 3 times. Usually it's just once and I'm done but one of the times lasted for an hour. Also, in the past I have PB'd twice on french fries. Odd as they seem mushy. I know one of the times this time I swallowed too big a piece of ham. Are you taking small bites? are you eating small portions?

Honey, if you were educated in Minnesota, you got a good one!!! I know that from experience!

I remember your story about the operating room tears. I thought about it in the hospital last Wednesday when I was there for lab draws - not because the draws hurt, but because I am very emotional about this, too. I will not be surprised if the same thing happens to me on Thursday morning. I just hope hubby can handle that! After being married to me for all these years he is used to my emotions being expressed (!), but tears always throw him. He will try to fix it. It will be hard to convince him there is nothing for him to fix - Dr. Berntsen is going to take care of all of it.

I have a very mundane day ahead of me. I have to get the tires rotated on my car. wow. It is done at costco, though, so I'll take care of the script for my liquid pain meds, find a good book, and maybe search out some Christmas things while they play with my car. This afternoon I go to the Orthopedic clinic to have the first of three injections of faux cartilage in my right knee. I had this done in March and it helped. Doc recommended one more round this fall, then on to a knee replacement if it does not hold. By the time I have to make that decision I will be about 40-50 pounds lighter and I am hopeful it will be postponed indefinitely. If not, at least the surgery/recovery will be a lot easier than it was the last time when I gained 30 pounds during recovery. That will not happen again. These guys are gone. forever.

Apples, thank you so much for your words. You have no idea how much you have helped me. I now know what happened in your life will happen in mine.

JoAnn, you must be my knee twin. I just got done with my 2nd round. It's helping some. I was lucky and didn't have to do the pre op diet. Hope you are hanging in there. Three more days!! Sorry to hear about your dog!

Long...happy to hear that you had a good vacation. That .5lbs will be gone tomorrow, I bet. Not to worry. You wouldn't get me to eat venison in any form! Blah!!!!!!!

I am not writing this to anyone in particular, but would like to comment on the difference between head hunger and regular hunger.

When I have regular hunger, my stomach growls and feels empty almost to the point where I feel nauseous.

When I have head hunger, my stomach is not growling, but my head is saying "oh this or that really sounds good"

or "gee what is there around here that I can eat"

Both types of hunger are hard to battle.

someone on another thread suggested a book you can get at Amazon. It's called emotional first+Aid kit.

I think I will look there and see if it gives more of a description of this book. All I know is I need help. I

don't want to go back to wearing bigger pants. I know they wouldn't be the biggest size I ever wore, but right now, all the pants I have are not comfortable, and I hate that.

I also need to go to the low carb section of this board, under food and nutrition. I know for a fact that when I eat low carb, I have less cravings. The problem is, I am sick of all the stuff I normally eat. I need new ideas.

Apples, can you give me some ideas on these marinades? I have never considered myself to be a very good cook. I have no clue what to marinade things in. Are these things you buy in a jar or do you make the marinade?

Apples, can you give me some ideas on these marinades? I have never considered myself to be a very good cook. I have no clue what to marinade things in. Are these things you buy in a jar or do you make the marinade?

Denise...sounds like you are struggling right now but have the right idea to get back to low carb. I know that I struggle less when I stick to high protein/low carb. It is not that I don't eat some carbs but just try to do "good" carbs in fruit and veggies. I do throw the one carb in a day of the 100 cal pack of popcorn in the evenings. It tends to satisfy my need for salt. I have never craved sweets...just snack foods. Let us know about that book. I love to read and have a few self-help type books and reread them now and then. I usually make my own marinades. There are so many variations with one basic recipe...just base it on your tastes. Also, you don't have to make the entire recipe..cut it in halves or quarters depending on how many you are feeding. I started using them for the crew I feed and they love them. Low fat and carbs. My DH lost 15lbs without trying just because he has been eating low fat along with me. I will list a few for you in this post. Try them and so how they work for your taste buds. My basic recipe is: 1Tbsp lite soy sauce 1Tsp garlic powder 1 can Sprite Zero or Diet 7-Up juice from 1 lime (I throw the rind in after squeezing) 1Tsp dried mustard 1Tsp chili powder Just throw all in a freezer bag (they are more sturdy than others). I use this recipe for up to 2lbs of chicken, beef, salmon, or pork. When I want a change in taste I add about a 1/2 cup of any sugar free jams to the same recipe. Smuckers has some great ones. My family likes the orange marmalade, seedless raspberry or apricot. You can also add 1/2 cup of lite teriaki (sp?) sauce when you don't add the jams. I throw my meat in the bag, squish it around a bit and marinade for at least 24 hours. Remember, you can cut the recipe down if you want. I sometimes throw the meat in individual servings in smaller bags with the marinade on it into the freezer. Or, I grill, bake or use crockpot and put the cooked meat into individual bags into the freezer to grab and nuke. Hope this helps. Also, hope your struggles will subside once your get back to your low carb diet. A good way to kick start!

Denise...forgot one thing I was going to say. I always keep a bottle of low fat Italian dressing on hand. Makes a great marinade. You can also throw in a packet of Liptons onion Soup mix into any marinade.

I think stress must do something. I haven't PB'd in a while, am getting a fill on Thurs. yet while on vacation PB'd 3 times. Usually it's just once and I'm done but one of the times lasted for an hour. Also, in the past I have PB'd twice on french fries. Odd as they seem mushy. I know one of the times this time I swallowed too big a piece of ham. Are you taking small bites? are you eating small portions?

Long, I was getting stuck on pudding.....so I called the doctor today, and they wanted to see me. He took out half a cc. Yeah, I came home and ate and I didn't pb .....I was finally able to burp like a normal person. I am sure he will put it back on the 18th. I was getting stuck on most hard Protein. I was just eating mushies. Yes, the stress has caused my reflux to kick in again. My mother is improving, but she has a way to go. She is 85, legally blind, and now has a very weak heart. It just makes me sad. We are very close. Oh, did you notice I finally lost fifty lbs. That was so encouraging for me. The most I have ever lost is 48lbs.

Glad you had a great time.

Denise...forgot one thing I was going to say. I always keep a bottle of low fat Italian dressing on hand. Makes a great marinade. You can also throw in a packet of Liptons onion Soup mix into any marinade.

Thanks apple,i will try all your ideas.I only like chicken and a lot of people say they have a hard time with chicken,and that has me concerned.This should help keep it moist.Kerry

Charlene...good job on the 50#. Also, happy you have some relief with the unfill.

Thanks Apple. You know, if I hadn't heard Denise explain about getting stuck and pbing....I probably would have sat here this evening with a golfball in my chest and heaving over the toilet. Thanks for encouraging me to call the doctor. I need all the advice I can get from my LBT peeps.

Oh, I bought the Greek Yogurt today. They only had three flavors. I liked the honey.

Charlene, Congrats on the 50!!!! Glad the unfill seems to be helping.

apples, the marinade sounds good. I've done the first 3 ingredients (soy sauce, 7Up, and garlic powder) but never the rest. Will have to play around with it.

Thanks Apple. You know, if I hadn't heard Denise explain about getting stuck and pbing....I probably would have sat here this evening with a golfball in my chest and heaving over the toilet. Thanks for encouraging me to call the doctor. I need all the advice I can get from my LBT peeps.

Oh, I bought the Greek Yogurt today. They only had three flavors. I liked the honey.

Our Walmart does not carry any flavors except for plain and vanilla. I just dress mine up with Splenda and SF syrups. I did try another brand of Greek yogurt in honey flavor and LOVED it but only had 6g Protein. Not enough when I make it my morning meal. Will have to see if I can find it when we are on our travels this winter.