Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the Wi bandsters

Hi, i had my surgery quite a while back and my husband and I moved to Waupaca for him to start foundry work in October. So, my life is going well, and band is working great, slow weight loss, but works really well.

...this is a bit complicated, but i will post it as easily as I can. (I am confused from it a bit, you see).

I had my surgery ay mayo "super-duper everyone thinks is the greatest place ever" Clinic in Minnesota, becasue we lived there. We had to move really quickly for my husband to get his job out here.

I followed up with Mayo, and the nurse said, "sure I'll tell doctor and she will find you new doctor there..." no call.

So i looked into a few places, called around, and got the COLDEST SHOULDER EVER! From Neenah, Steven's Point, and a place in Appleton. Basically a speech on how their doctor REALLY dislikes seeing new patients that aren't theirs, and that I'm going to need money up front, and that I have to go to the introduction thing again, plus get the last 26 years of doctor visits in paperwork, etc, ETC!

Ok, here's more... I had a baby shortly after I got my band, so I spent 10 months without restriction (not in my doctor's favor, but I did good after, and baby was totally healthy - which is so much more important, duh).

So, here I got this brand new baby, I'm a stay at home mom, I understand and I am willing to work with doctor to follow good plan, but as far as "loads of cash and lots of free time" go, not me! AND moving to a new state, insurance didn't follow us to Eric's new job (except if we were willing to pay $850 a month - please!)So it finally kicks in in February. Mayo had a hard time understanding why not having insurance was was a problem, i could just pay for fill (and doctor visit and floro,and classes, and dietician, and other requirements of new doctor,etc. right?) and not feed my baby for a month, I suppose.

I begged Mayo to send me my paperwork in the mail so I could see doctor when I got husband's insurance (they said, "no problem", and never sent it) So I stopped bugging them, figured, screw it if i can find a doctor, I will have them send for it, Mayo can't mess with them.

Anyways, so so so sorry for the rant, it was all going so well, then i moved back to my hometown area, and I am treated suspiciously, as if I had my band done in some dark alley for $400, and have no idea what it's about or how it works (iv'e had it for almost two years now, 10 months of them with baby, lost over 50 pounds, did psych counceling, took 8 months of hard work to even get it!)

So, after trying around the area, I've decided, maybe try Dr. Kemmerling?

I don't know, I am scared stiff it will be like other offices (never even got to talk to doctors, just snooty nurses)and I know there are places in Milwaukee, but so far away, my husband works really hard to support us, and like I said, stay at home mom here, I will do what I have to, but please, I got priorities too, right?

Anyways, for anyone still reading this, PLEASE PLEASE understand, I am weeks away from having insurance, and almost too scared to call for a new band doctor and get same bad treatment, all I want is a doctor to help me stay on track. My band is working well, I've had 2 fills, I might not even need new fill for a while, but I really invested SO much into this, and I am freaking out that I will never get to see another doctor again.

Does anyone know if Dr. Kemmerling is..., you know, do you understand what I am asking? Decent? Will he understand this? Or treat me like crap because I had the "nerve" to move to a new state with my husband and daughter? I have already entertained the thought of "i might not ever get to see another fill doctor again...terrifying!" So I ask, what now? It's over just because I moved? I have a new baby, my first, my only, the stress of this can really be overwhelming, and the last thing I expected was trouble finding a new doctor...HELP? any suggestions...???

Feeling hurt by the system, but trying to stay positive.

Hey i just read this ! Dr Kemmerling is FANTASTIC!!! He considers it honor to be able to care for you. He doesnt just blow you off like some. I dont know how he is on taking patients he didnt do the surgery on but heck you got to get help somewhere!

I had surgery in Aug 07 with him and there office has been fantastic! They always followup. Talk to Mary over there about your situation and come to some of our surrport groups!.

ok, so UPDATE:

Got insurance packet from Humana (after 3 long uninsured months), absolutely no coverage for surgery involving morbid obesity or successive treatments .

SO, at first I was bummed, but then relieved not to have to deal with all the rigamarole of finding new doctor. But now what, right?

So just out of curiosity, does anyone think my eligibility for fills would override that clause because it is treatment carrying over from previous surgery covered from previous insurance (i'm not sure what it is called, proof of prior or something?)

You know, my fill is working great (i've had 2, doctor never told me how much) i'm still on 1/2 cup a meal, fluctuating more and less during the day). It has maintained this for 50 pounds lost, but there's always the good chance it won't forever.

And I can't never see another doctor, right? I mean, I'm relieved temporarily to not have to deal with finding new doc and the hassle it is, but eventually there will be necessity for it, I'm guessing sooner than later. I suppose unless I can get through with the loophole in insurance for prior coverage, there's going to be a decent bill coming my way. I have talked to the gal at Thedacare, and she said $2000 up front for 10? fills and all classes an doc visits, everything. Man, that's pricey. Maybe not for some, but I had a baby last year, and we are a one income household. Gawd, I feel guilty buying fresh chicken instead of cans, just to save a few cents.

Anyways, not ranting, sorry if it seems like that. I have a strange peace about it, like it's out of my hands at this moment (at least until we can get our car paid off and have a few quarters to throw at the doctor).

p.s. I apologize for my rampant use of italics.

hey thanks, whosyodaddy, looking into it.

I will write to Mary, perhaps and tell of my situation and see what kind of financial wheeling and dealing I can do.

IDSMommy,

Who did your surgery? I was banded on Nov. 2, 2007 by Dr. James Kemmerling. I went to college in Green Bay and lived there for a time after that. Now I live in Marinette. How are you doing?

Robin