Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't like fish

Ok well, my Dr. wants me to eat fish when I can start to eat again but the problem is is that I am not a big seafood fan. I have never really even cooked fish before or tasted any big variety (except tuna and Salmon). can anyone tell me a type of fish that maybe doesn't taste so fishy? Or does anyone have a really good recipe for cooking fish that makes it taste better? Thanks!

My hubby and I love perch--he dabs it with butter and bakes it for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven and it IS good!

(I'm not a seafood fan either, and tuna is the extent of my fish knowledge, honestly! )

I DID also find out that I hate tilapia--and slathered it in cocktail sauce then at a few bites---------OMG, I have never BURNED so badly all the way down! Yep, they are right about spicy foods! :biggrin1:

really any kind of white fish isn't too fishy to me. i like tilapia, flounder, halibut, and grouper. it also depends on how you cook it. you could try grilling it (with a piece of foil on the grill so the fish doesn't fall apart) with the mrs. dash chicken grilling mix. it's mm mm good. tuna steaks are also really good but can be fishy if not cooked properly (in my experience anyway) but they're really really good otherwise (my fave food). do scallops count? they've got a mild, sweet taste.

swordfish always seems really fishy to me so you might want to avoid it.

I don't like fish either... I wish I liked salmon, it LOOKS good on menus hehe.

My dad who also does not like fish.. Says Mahi-Mahi and Tilapia are meaty 'steak tasting fish'. He loves it, and when we go to nice restaurants, he opts for one of those over steak (which is wow.)

I have tasted both, I didn't like the mahi-mahi, but the tilapia is pretty good. I still wouldn't order it since I'm afraid I won't like it, but if you're on doctor's orders, I'd definitely suggest trying it!

What about crab/lobster? Is that considered fish? I could eat the heck out of that. :)

I love the mahi-mahi and any kind of crab. I use imitation crab meat as areal go to food. It is a great source of Protein but be careful some brands have added carbs.

I've had success with this recipe from people who said that they really didn't like fish, but loved this.

Cheesy Fish Bake

(The full version for the family)

1 thick (1/2") fillet per person

1/4 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese per fillet

1 teaspoon butter/marg

1/2 cup white wine

1/2 cup vegetable stock (from cubes is fine)

Garlic salt

Seasoned flour

Lightly coat fillets in seasoned flour. Grease frying pan with 1 tsp butter/marg. Fry on one side only, using low heat (too high and fish will stick or you'll need to use more butter). If fillets have skin, fry on skin side. Transfer to large shallow baking tray, fried side down. Mix wine and stock and pour over fish. Sprinkle with garlic salt and top each fillet with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Bake in HOT pre-heated near top of oven for approx 12 mins. Fish will be cooked by the time the cheese has gone golden brown. Serve with cheese side up, spooning pan juices over the top.

Cheezy Fish Bake

(Quick and easy version for one in microwave)

1 fillet fish

1/4 cup shredded or 1 individual slice low fat cheddar cheese

1/4 cup vegetable stock (or water)

Garlic salt

Put fillet into small microwave dish (no bigger than fillet, fold or squash fillet to fit). Add stock/water. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Cover with cheese. Microwave on HIGH for 2 mins.

The second one isn't as drop dead yummy as the first but it is still tasty and is so quick to prepare!

Thank you so much everyone. I will definetly give it a try. I love that recipe with the cheese. I guess it is hard to say if I like it since I probably haven't even tried half of it. Thanks again!!

I'm not a real fish lover, either. My favorite fish recipe is just cod, topped with salsa, and then baked. Super healthy and YUM!

I hate fish!! Omg!! When my doctor told me that it was good for me I was traumatized!! Anything that swims I dont eat....lol any suggestions!

I have never liked fish except fried catfish, my husband, on the other hand LOVES fish of any kind. I love to cook, so I am always trying new recipes. I found one that I LOVE - I am not banded yet, so I have no idea how band friendly this is. Also, I have made it without the sauce and I like it just as well. If you don't have lemon oil on hand, use extra virgin olive oil with a large lemon squeezed in. Hope you like it! Sorry it is so big, when I copied and pasted it in, it won't let me change the formating now.

Sautéed Tilapia with White Wine & Lemon Sauce

1/2 Cup flour

3 Tbsp Lemon Olive Oil

4 Tilapia Fillets

salt and pepper

White Wine and Lemon Sauce (recipe follows)

Place flour in shallow baking dish or pie plate and set aside. Pat fish fillets with a paper towel, season both sides of fillet with salt and pepper and let stand until fillets are glistening with moisture, about 5 minutes. Coat both sides of fillet with flour and shake off excess.

Heat 2 Tbsp Lemon Olive Oil over high heat in a large non-stick skillet until oil is shimmering, but not smoking. Place fillets in a single layer and immediately reduce heat to medium-high. (3 Minutes on each side). Transfer fillets onto plate and if you're using the sauce, pour it over now and serve.

White Wine and Lemon Sauce

1 Tbsp Lemon Olive Oil

1 shallot, roughly chopped

1/2 cup white wine

2 Tbsp butter

1 Tbsp fresh parsley

1/2 lemon

In a sauce pan, heat 1 Tbsp Lemon Olive Oil over medium heat, sauté shallots until softened and beginning to color, about 1 1/2 minutes

Add wine, increase heat to high and bring to boil, boil until reduced to 3/4 cup -- about 3-5 minutes. Whisk in butter and parsley -- and a squeeze of half a lemon

Serve atop Tilapia.