Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The hardest part?

I believe my biggest hurdle will be learning to eat without drinking. Currently, when I go to a restaurant I finish my beverage (iced tea, water) before I even get my food. And then I always guzzle down another glass while eating.

I've been trying to practice eating without drinking since I'll be banded in a couple weeks and this will be my new way of life. But I gotta be honest, this scares me more than changing my portion sizes and food choices.

Is there anybody else that felt the same way?

Yep. It's a hard habit to break. You're not alone at all.

In some cases, I don't even allow a drink near me when I'm eating, because it's just such a habit to grab it and start gulping.

Leatha- What besides pushing the food through faster & allowing us to eat more will happen if we do drink while eating? Is it that we won't get that full sensation? I just don't know if I can do it. At least at every meal _ I don't know if I can. I love Water & drinking- I feel thirsty alot of the time. What are your thoughts?

You don't drink w/meals or 1 hour afterwards so the food stays in your pouch and you feel full longer. But you drink all the rest of the day, even right up until you eat. It is a hard habit to break, but you're wise to start getting used to that now. Just one less thing to do after you get your band. Also, if I try to drink w/my meal (after banding), I often feel like pbing (throwing up). So that has helped me to remember.

Not drinking with my meals was the hardest thing for me to do. I have been able to do it though it is still hard for me. I try to not have any drink beside me when I am eating or an hour after. If anything at all is sitting next to me, I will automatically grab it and drink it without thinking. It takes some work, but you will be able to do it. I find that if I drink a large glass of Water right before eating, it helps me alot.

If you think about it, the whole reason we (humans) drink while eating is to wash down more food. Since we no longer want to do that, there is no reason to drink while we eat.

If you're eating something dry and need a little liquid to wet your whistle, go ahead. I do it all the time. But the huge glasses of Fluid that used to accompany gargantuan meals quickly become a thing of the past. If you are in the habit of drinking while eating, it's a very good idea to become more aware of that and start to try consciously limiting it. It's by no means impossible. :D

I was also told by my Dietian that it will give you the fullness feeling and that fullness will be fake since its Water not food... I dont know thats what she said

If you drink while eating it can be kind of painful..I have done it a couple of times and it feels like Iam getting all backed up and it is painful..I do not do it anymore

If you're eating something dry and need a little liquid to wet your whistle, go ahead. I do it all the time. But the huge glasses of Fluid that used to accompany gargantuan meals quickly become a thing of the past. :D

I agree!

The problem that Im having is when I start eating, I start getting VERY thirsty after the second bite. Ive realized that this is caused from NOT drinking enough Water between meals. Its made me wonder as to whether or not I was actually hungry... or just thirsty!

I just got banded, and I find that just drinking gets me full! That is really a new and weird sensation to me. For those considering the band-when you have it in it is a completely different sensation, and a lot like starting over. You will find that it is important to NOT throw up (so you don't mess up your band, etc) or drink/ eat too much so you don't stretch your pouch. Remember, 4 oz is not a whole lot of room.

I admit being frustrated when I am full from Water, and want a popcicle but there is no room, and I can't have one because I don't want to get sick! But isn't that great! That means the band is working! Yea!

I used to be the BIGGEST Diet Coke fiend. I mean, that is ALL I used to drink. I had to quit cold turkey, and that has hit me a bit hard. Anyone else miss pop?

Joan

If you drink while eating it can be kind of painful..I have done it a couple of times and it feels like Iam getting all backed up and it is painful..I do not do it anymore

Oh, yeah, this is true too. If you have good restriction you may find that drinking while you're also putting food into your pouch doesn't have the effect you're used to. The liquid may just come back up if it can't go through the stoma because there's food in the way. That's a very unpleasant experience and a sure way to break yourself of the habit pretty quickly.

Actually, I was told by my dr. that there is some debate on whether or not to drink while eating. It has not been proven that drinking while eating is a bad thing or vice versa. I guess the jury is still out, so to speak. Having said that, I really do try to not drink while eating. If I get really thirsty, I will take a sip or two, though. And when I go out to eat I try to guzzle my beverage before the food comes and I don't let the waiter refill the glass.

Oh my Gosh Blossom- I can't wait to ask my Doctor more about this. This was the best news yet- that there may even be the slightest chance that we could maybe drink & eat is exciting. I am more doubtful than hopeful but its a least interesting that your Doc is on the fence with it.