Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So frustrated I gave up (really long one need to vent)

This whole thing has been the worst process that I have ever gone through in my entire life!

When I first approached my doc about it he decided to do blood work to test my thyroid because the last time I approached him 18 months prior that was what he thought then too:confused:. So now we get to test again to find out there is no thyroid problem:faint:.

So he then says have you tried to loose weight by eating right??? WTF!!! :angry

I have been doing Weight Watchers for the last 12 years and I loose and gain and loose and gain and for the last 4 years I cant get below 200 no matter how hard I try (5'8" weight 227) So he finally gives in and says okay to trying with the insurance to see if they will pay....they say they dont cover it, I appealed 3 times and according to them even if they did cover it I would not qualify because I am not fat enough!!! :cry

Are you kidding me?!?!?! and I have comorbilities too, a degenerative knee joint problem that requires pain meds, severe depression and anxiety that I am being treated for with medication, sleep diorder that I take sleeping pills for, back pain, I had what was thought to be a heart attack about 18 months ago and turned out to be a heart athrethima, major family history of heart problems, diabeties, high colestoral.

Fast forward to Feb of 2007 and I lost my job but did what needed to be done to continue with my cobra payments even thought they were over $300 a month still hoping to get this covered...jumped through hoops all year and still no go...Jan of 2008 the insurance goes up by almost another $100 and now I have to drop it or not pay rent.

I just dont understand it all I mean it should be a certin set of standards for all companies as to what it needs for coverage...there are people I have seen on here that maybe need to loose like 50 -60 pounds and get approved and then there are others that need to loose 100+ and get denied.

So now nedless to say if I didnt spend the first 18 months trying to get it paid for I could have gotten financed and been paying for some time now and would be 2+ years into it and probably have lost the weight by now but NOOOOOOO now I am out of a job and not only cant get financed, but even if I could I would not be able to make the payments and I am still FAT!!!

So in all my brilliance I have put myself on a self imposed pre/post op liquids diet with the Protein Shakes staying at about 875 cal/20 gr fat or less/100 gr Protein a day and I am dropping like a rock starso far and I am not even hungry...HA! now dont get me wrong I will most likeley gain it all back again at some point in the future like I always do and then some but at the moment my suit's dont fit me for dob interviews.

Do you all think I am crazy for this or maybe have any suggestions? I mean talk about depression...it just gets worse and worse.

Many of us understand the frustration of following a long insurance process only to be denied. My own experience was 9 months and after all that time trying to get approval, I ended denied for covering the surgery. I self paid instead.

I also agree it is frustrating to see people with low BMI's ( and my definintion of low is under 37 getting approval and some of those over 40 are getting denied.

Some of your medical problems would not be considered co-morbidities. Having a problem sleeping, is not the same as being diagnosed with sleep apnea (a co-morbid) and sleep apnea is not treated with sleeping pills. Depression and anxiety are not considered co-morbids either.

Generally, HBP, diabetes, sleep apnea are the main considerations as I understand.

I agree that insurance companies should have standardized requirements for WLS.

Until you are back working and have insurance again, I suggest you stay on your own diet, as you are now. Once you can't handle the liquid diet anymore, get yourself to WW and try to prevent yourself from gaining again and pleasse consider at even remaining at one weight and not going up is a victory. If down the road you end up with the surgery, either covered by ins or by self pay, you will be that much closer to your final goal of a healthly weight.

One other suggestion. If you can, start walking. It will lift your spirits and lessen your depression.