Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BCBS of IL-LifeMasters

Has anyone recieved info in the mail from BCBS regarding LifeMasters? It is a free service thru BCBS .The program is administered thru LifeMasters, " a condition management program". The program is completely voluntary. Your benefits are will not be affected if you decide not to participate or if you withdraw from the program. You will learn how to monitor your health, including measuring and recording your vital signs and symptoms. Be able to share your info with your doctor to receive improved care. Receive valuable educational materials and videos. Does anyone know if they send this to insurance members for participation when they know that the insured is hoping to have WLS? My concern is that if I do not join this program it may be grounds for denial of surgery. That they may say I didn't want to improve my health with this program, so I may not follow the WLS guidelines. Has anyone else been offered this free service and not joined and still got approval for surgery? Thanks for any info you can tell me.

Never heard of it. I have BCBS of IL too.

My paperwork is going in tomorrow - crossing my fingers :lol:

Thanks for your info....BCBS called me last night to follow up on the paperwork they sent out. I told her I hadn't read it yet, but would be in touch after I read the material. My biggest concern is that if I choose not to work with this nurse and the "lifemasters" program that I would not be approved for surgery. The paperwork came addressed to me and the insurance is actually in my husbands name. Later....

I just stumbled across your post, as I was looking for LifeMasters website and joined this forum. I"M BRAND NEW! Yes, I received the BCBS Il. info in the mail, BCBS called me and I did accept the program. Kind of a phone wellness program. You can call them @ 1-866-543-2053. Now, perhaps you can help me. I have been considering LapBand for some time. Spoke to my dr. about it yesterday. He recomended a dr and will arrange for a consultation. My question is does BCBS Il. participate in the cost of the surgery? That will probably determine whether I have it done locally or go abroad. Thanks, in advance, for all the help you can give me. Dan.

Hi Dan! BCBS of Il has approved me for surgery. My journey started with going to a seminar and learning the requirements for WLS. I then made an appointment with the surgeon. They sent my info to the insurance company and the ins. co. sent me a letter letting me know what the requirements for surgery were. I had to have 5 years of medical records showing my weight, I needed to do a 6 month supervised diet, could not miss 1 appointment or I would have to start over. BMI of 35 with 2 co-morbitities or BMI over40. I also had to get a phys. evaluation, visit a cardioliogist and a pulmonologist. Every insurance policy is different. You could also call your insurance company and they can tell you if WLS is covered and the requirements. Continue reading these threads and learn as much as possible before you make your decision. Good luck with your journey and keep in touch.

Congrats on your approval! I too have BC/BS of IL and and on my 5month of supervised diet. You are right though all policies are different, as I only have to have psych eval 6 month diet and 5year weight history!! Good luck!