Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I was banded 4/13/07. To date I have lost 53 pounds. Yes, that is a lot of weight. This isn't a band bashing post.

The only time I lose weight is just after a fill. I will lost 10 pounds in about 3 or 4 weeks after my fill then nothing for weeks . I mean weeks. I had a fill 5 or 6 weeks ago and have not lost a single pound. I am 2.5 in a 4cc band.

I don't count calories and I don't eat everything broiled or steamed, but I do eat 3 meals a day from a saucer to control portions. This is WAY less than before the band.

I have a friend that was banded the same week as me. We are the same age, about the same start weight, eat similar and exercise similar, but she has lost 30 more pounds than me.

Lately I have been constipated and retaining Water. Am I in starvation mode and my body is holding on to everything it can get?

Anyone experience this or am I just metabolicly doomed?

I'd take 10 pounds in 3 or 4 weeks anytime! Look at your average weigh loss over a longer period of time. Does it average the 1 to 2 pounds a month we are told to expect?

Start counting your calories, just for a week, to see where you stand ( you say you're not counting) and be sure to add up the amount of Protein. After Protein and veggies, add carbs that are Fiber rich only. Look for a high Fiber Meal Replacement type bar, that will get your system moving.

I am having a Constipation problem and have started searching for way to get more fiber in. I really think protein rich diets need fiber.

I just started a thread about ways to get fiber in and I've had some great suggestions. It's under the pre-op and post op question section.

And at 53 pounds lighter, your body now needs even less calories to continue to lose at the same rate as before.

At eight months out and a 53 pound loss, that is approx 6 pounds per month. Seems good to me.

I guess if you look at it that way it doesn't seem as bad. It is just weird the way I lose. My doctor told me going in that I would lose 4 - 8 pounds a month. Both he and his wife are banded and is why I chose him to do my surgery. You are right about that fiber thing. It is hard to get everything in that you need in one day. I was self pay too. I think that is part of the reason I get discouraged. When you pay $16K and go for weeks without losing and not eating much, you begin to wonder what the heck is going on. I see you have only been banded for a few weeks. I wish you luck on your journey.

Hello,

I was banded 4/13/07. To date I have lost 53 pounds. Yes, that is a lot of weight. This isn't a band bashing post.

The only time I lose weight is just after a fill. I will lost 10 pounds in about 3 or 4 weeks after my fill then nothing for weeks . I mean weeks. I had a fill 5 or 6 weeks ago and have not lost a single pound. I am 2.5 in a 4cc band.

I don't count calories and I don't eat everything broiled or steamed, but I do eat 3 meals a day from a saucer to control portions. This is WAY less than before the band.

I have a friend that was banded the same week as me. We are the same age, about the same start weight, eat similar and exercise similar, but she has lost 30 more pounds than me.

Lately I have been constipated and retaining Water. Am I in starvation mode and my body is holding on to everything it can get?

It sounds to me that you may not be eating enough fiber in your diet, but more importantly, are you drinking enough Water during the day to stay hydrated and to also help keep you "satisfied"?

If water alone is not your thing, take some powdered sugear free mixes such as Crystal Lite and add it to your water bottle or an occasional Decaf iced coffee (minus the flavorings) but w/ milk instead. See if that makes a difference.

I know for me, I was banded w/the large band 11/8/07 and to date have lost almost 60 lbs. Compared to many of my counterparts from my suuport group who have lost significantly more during that same time period my weight loss is a mere pittance (sp?). Also, I exercise regularly. I go to the gym every morning during the week before work an do both cardio (treadmill) and weight training.

Yes it is coming off slowly but I am down 6 clothing sizes, and building muscle. It is an OVERALL lifestyle change that you NEED to embrace and work with it, you can't have it work for you. The band is only a tool. GOOD LUCK. Lori :-)

I considered myself a slow loser until I found out that my band is unlocked. I will have it fixed soon but what I want to say is if what you are doing is not working for you, then try something else. I was only losing after fills as well, with being on liquids for two days after one.

The band is not GBP and we are actually supposed to lose slowly ( 1 to 2 pounds a week and you are right on that track) but we are all impatient when it comes to losing weight.

Have you tried varying your intake? Your body can adapt and learn to maintain itself when you reduce the calorie intake, it will just train itself to maintain on that lower intake. Try having a larger portion for one meal or two a week and that day, exercise a little longer.

Mix things up a bit and I think it might help. Don;t forget the less you weigh the less food it takes to maintain that new lower weight as well.

You don;t have to track calories every day, but if you do for a day or two, you'll have an idea of how many you are consuming. Maybe too much, maybe it's too little.

I have a a high fiber Cereal for b'fast and a couple Fiber one bars a week to help with Constipation. A piece of whole wheat toast can help, as well as lots of fluids, like flavored Water or crystal lite, if you don;' like plain Water.< /p>

I think you've done very well.

Just an FYI. My fill is 3.45 in a 4 cc band. How much food can you consume at once? I eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time. Some days if I am loose I can get in a cup but that is rare. I lost 5 lbs on high Protein, low carb last week. The first time in 7 months.

I'm in the same boat!! My surgeon actually told me that it would actually take 2 years to acheive my results (and I had about 70lbs to lose) b/c it takes people much longer than they expect to really figure things out it.

I thought he was nuts - but here I am, not having lost a lb in 2 months. I just had another fill today (6.8 in a 10cc band), so hopefully that'll kick start something.

Hi Julie:

Wow 5 pounds in a week. Yippee!

Can you please share some of the things you ate while you were on this high Protein low carb plan?

I still have 24 to go and would be doing cartwheels if I could lose 5 in a week.

Thanks.

Sue

I'd take 10 pounds in 3 or 4 weeks anytime! Look at your average weigh loss over a longer period of time. Does it average the 1 to 2 pounds a month we are told to expect?

My doc says 1 to 2 lbs per week not per month. However, have lost approximately 50% of your excess weight? That was also the other statistic I was provided. Expect to lose 1 to 2 lbs per week until you've lost approximately 50% of your excess weight. After that it's all on you.

I've lost 30, which is about 50%. Because I don't have full restriction yet, I think I can still lose a bit more w/ the band's assistance. Then yes - (yikes), it's all up to me

My weight loss has averaged 5 pounds a month in the 9 months since my surgery. You are losing way more than average so it is hard to feel too sorry for you! Enjoy it and try to think about where you would be today if you hadn't had surgery. You are doing great.

OOPS! Sorry, I posted above and just reread your post and realized I messed up. I was thinking your surgery was in '08! Now your post makes more sense...You, like me, are also a kind of slow loser. Sorry I made it sound like you weren't!!!

Like I said in my post, where would you be if you hadn't had surgery? That is what really keeps me going. I just know that without the band I would have gained weight. The other thing I am relieved about is that I don't have to constantly worry about gaining weight back. I may be losing slowly, but I also don't get on the scale and have huge gains, either.

There are a lot of "slow losers" out here - and to be honest with you I think we are more the norm than the fast losers! Don't forget there are a lot of factors in play - age, size, body type - lets Celebrate our successes and not worry so much about how long it is taking us. (I am talking to myself when I say that too, because I have as much trouble being impatient as anyone!) I have been overweight for 30 years. I can't expect instant results in fixing it!

Guest ZenGarden

Hello,

Yes, unfortunately, I believe some of us ARE metabollically-challenged. I was banded two weeks prior to you and have only lost 51 pounds. I'm SO SICK of everyone saying, "51 pounds is awesome", because you know what...it really isn't, considering the fact that it took me almost 15 months to lose it AND I have another 85 to go. I knew the band wouldn't be a magic wand, but I had no idea it would be this difficult either. I've contimplated my lapband decision since day one...and often times wonder/wish what life would be like if I had chosen bypass instead.

I've had 8 fills in 15 months, changed doctors twice, and have never, EVER lost the 1-2 pounds per week everyone claims. I also have the original LapBand system which holds 4cc's of saline. I'm currently filled 1cc over the max fill limit and finally began getting good restriction last month. I am frustrated beyond belief...

PS - OH, and did I mention....I've gained 7 pounds since my last fill in June?? Yep, you heard right, I FINALLY have great restriction after 15 months and now I'm gaining....

Edited by zengirl227