Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting discouraged...

AARRGHHHH im sooooo FRICKEN PISSED!!

Ok, so... this will be the THIRD time i have changed my surgery date!

First i was scheduled for Jan 8th, but i had to get a sleep study, because my polomonmigist (sp) doc asked one simple question "Do you snore?" And i answered honestly, "yes."

Now, im not upset that he wanted me to get a sleep study, i understand that its very important to know if i have sleep apena or not, and better to be safe than sorry.

however, i remember reading a thread on here, and the guy said, DO NOT MENTION YOU SNORE! (lol now i feel like i should have listened:mad:...)

So anyways, i had 2 cancel my date for my surgery on the 8th because i needed the sleep study, and the soonest date i could get was Decemeber 17th (which was the LAST test i needed for surgery)

So, we rescheduled my surgery for January 14th!!

Well... early this morning, the doctor FINALLY CALLS, (which is almost 3weeks later, because my results were in 7-10days right after i had my sleep study done...)

so, all he says is, and i quote "Well, you have between moderate and severe sleep apena" :cry And thats all he said!! Oh, and that i have to get MORE test done, and get fitted for a sleeping mask... (AAARRGHH!)

i personally dont think i have sleep apnea... and my co-workers told me to get a second opinion, but is that really rational to get a second opionion on a sleep study??

So... now i know FOR SURE, i will not be getting banded in January!! :angry

im sooo disheartned... i feel like, everyones giving me the run around... that i'm not being taken seriously!!!

part feels like just giving up!! that maybe, if i've had to cancel my surgery date more than twice, that maybe this a sign from above, letting me know i shouldnt get this procedure done??

has anyone else gone through something similar like this?? :help:(before you've gotten banded, of course?)

i know i have come very far... with getting all my test done and attending support groups, and researching everything there is to know about weight loss surgery, but its hard frustrating!

any advice, please??

ps... thanks for taking time to read my rant!! i just had to let this stress out!

I am so sorry you are having to go through so many hurdles. Another view might be that all these roadblocks are there just to remind you afterwards how much you really fought for this, when you might need that little extra mental push.

Good Luck and I'll be praying for you!

"Belief preceeds the Miracle"

Why can't you get banded now? I don't understand what having the CPAP machine has to do with surgery. I got mine about a week before surgery, wore it for a few days, and then quit after surgery and have never used it again. Gertting a second opinion on a sleep test is probably useless. It's not really an arbitrary thing....you are hooked up to electrodes and there is a cut off point. I was mild to moderate with some severe points. They still put me on the machine. I think I would ask him why getting the CPAP hlts surgery. There is no "testing" I am aware of after the sleep test. All they do is fit you for the machine and send you home. That's it. Once you are tested, you are tested.

I too told the docotor that I snore and he sent me to do a sleep study. The day that I went I had a cold and I told them this, when the test came back they said I have severe sleep apnea. They sent me home with the machine and "I hate it", but I really do try to sleep with it. I have one more appointment with the sleep study Doc and I think that should be it. HOPEFULLY:guess

AARRGHHHH im sooooo FRICKEN PISSED!!

Ok, so... this will be the THIRD time i have changed my surgery date!

First i was scheduled for Jan 8th, but i had to get a sleep study, because my polomonmigist (sp) doc asked one simple question "Do you snore?" And i answered honestly, "yes."

Now, im not upset that he wanted me to get a sleep study, i understand that its very important to know if i have sleep apena or not, and better to be safe than sorry.

however, i remember reading a thread on here, and the guy said, DO NOT MENTION YOU SNORE! (lol now i feel like i should have listened:mad:...)

So anyways, i had 2 cancel my date for my surgery on the 8th because i needed the sleep study, and the soonest date i could get was Decemeber 17th (which was the LAST test i needed for surgery)

So, we rescheduled my surgery for January 14th!!

Well... early this morning, the doctor FINALLY CALLS, (which is almost 3weeks later, because my results were in 7-10days right after i had my sleep study done...)

so, all he says is, and i quote "Well, you have between moderate and severe sleep apena" :cry And thats all he said!! Oh, and that i have to get MORE test done, and get fitted for a sleeping mask... (AAARRGHH!)

i personally dont think i have sleep apnea... and my co-workers told me to get a second opinion, but is that really rational to get a second opionion on a sleep study??

So... now i know FOR SURE, i will not be getting banded in January!! :angry

im sooo disheartned... i feel like, everyones giving me the run around... that i'm not being taken seriously!!!

part feels like just giving up!! that maybe, if i've had to cancel my surgery date more than twice, that maybe this a sign from above, letting me know i shouldnt get this procedure done??

has anyone else gone through something similar like this?? :help:(before you've gotten banded, of course?)

i know i have come very far... with getting all my test done and attending support groups, and researching everything there is to know about weight loss surgery, but its hard frustrating!

any advice, please??

ps... thanks for taking time to read my rant!! i just had to let this stress out!

Untreated sleep apnea can kill you as surely as morbid obesity can. I'm surprised they didn't do a composite study on you, to both determine if you have sleep apnea and to fit you for a mask at the same time. However, you need to be treated for this. Don't feel that you have been presented with a problem, instead you are being presented with a solution to a problem which was potentially killing you. You'll feel better when your sleep apnea is taken care of. I know from experience. Trust your doctor, and get fitted for a mask. Weight loss surgery is not a sprint to a finish line, it is a journey. At the end, it won't matter if you started slightly later.

Congrats on finding a problem, and dealing with it. Don't worry, after you have a mask there won't be another delay for sleep apnea. Just be careful when they fit you, make sure the mask they propose is one you can wear to sleep every night!

Why can't you get banded now? I don't understand what having the CPAP machine has to do with surgery. I got mine about a week before surgery, wore it for a few days, and then quit after surgery and have never used it again. Gertting a second opinion on a sleep test is probably useless. It's not really an arbitrary thing....you are hooked up to electrodes and there is a cut off point. I was mild to moderate with some severe points. They still put me on the machine. I think I would ask him why getting the CPAP hlts surgery. There is no "testing" I am aware of after the sleep test. All they do is fit you for the machine and send you home. That's it. Once you are tested, you are tested.

The doctors assume you are compliant with your sleep apnea treatment. Sleep apnea is dangerous, if you have it, it'd be a good idea to use your CPAP machine.

For more info see, note on the link is a graph which helps illustrate the benefits of using a CPAP machine vs. not - The danger of untreated sleep apnea

Everyone agrees that the breath-stopping type of snoring known as sleep apnea isn’t a good thing — it disrupts your nighttime rest, makes you sleepy during the daytime, boosts blood pressure, and increases the chances of developing heart trouble. Just how bad is it?

Pretty bad, according to an extended study of almost 1,500 Spanish snorers. Researchers followed the men, who had been referred to a hospital sleep clinic, with yearly checkups. All were offered the most successful treatment, called continuous positive airway pressure. It involves breathing through a face mask that delivers a stream of air into the nose. Many of the study volunteers decided not to use the device.

After 10 years, the researchers tallied up how many of the men had suffered a heart attack or stroke, needed a procedure to bypass or open a clogged heart artery, or died from cardiovascular disease. About 1 in 7 men (14%) fell into this camp.

Cardiovascular trouble was three times more likely in men with severe untreated sleep apnea than it was in men with treated sleep apnea. In fact, rates of heart trouble were about the same in men with treated apnea as they were among simple snorers — who have noisy but regular breathing during sleep — and nonsnorers. The results appeared in the March 19, 2005, Lancet.