Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Craving a Baked Potato

Help help help...I am almost 2 months post op and I have been craving a big baked potato!!! I know that I am supposed to stay away from pastas, potatoes, and breads!! Help does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think as long as I count it into my calories and only eat it this one time that it will be ok? I have been doing really well with the low calorie and high Protein foods. I haven't lost much weight (12 pounds) but I am still staying under my 1000 calories a day! And while I am writing...I am having a hard time taking in 8 cups of Water a day? It seems like I dont think about it or I am too busy to worry with drinking. Any suggestions? Thank You! :rolleyes

what are you craving on that baked potato???? I don't believe in depriving myself of what I am craving, because latter I will gorge myself on it. so I, myself, would fix a small potato, use ff sour cream or ranch, low fat cheese, and salsa, on it. that is just IMHO though.

what are you craving on that baked potato???? I don't believe in depriving myself of what I am craving, because latter I will gorge myself on it. so I, myself, would fix a small potato, use ff sour cream or ranch, low fat cheese, and salsa, on it. that is just IMHO though.
Ditto. My nutritionist even told me to indulge myself if I was have a craving, since denying it only makes binging more likely.

I agree....have that baked potato, with whatever you want on it! Get it out of your system. Honestly you won't gain any weight from that one potato.

Enjoy....

I agree with everyone else. I do not deprive myself. in fact I eat potatoes quite a bit . I will put some bushs Chili on them to add some Protein . I just put a few Tablespoons of the chili on there, some FF Sour Cream and some FF or low fat cheese. its yummy . I normally can not get down the whole potatoes even with a small potatoes.

Just watch how much of the topings you put on them .

I dont belive in depriving yourself. I think that is the same thing as going on a diet and I think dieting while you have the band is point less ( why get the band? ) . I just went to a bday party last weekend and had a small piece of cake. So I saw go for it . Just do not go over board and eat 3 lol

Good luck

Mindy

THANK YOU!! Everyones input made me feel a whole lot better! It just seems I am going crazy with the meat meat meat!! lol I will make me a baked potato tomorrow! I really wasnt craving anything but the butter and cheese on the potato!!!! :clap2:

THANK YOU!! Everyones input made me feel a whole lot better! It just seems I am going crazy with the meat meat meat!! lol I will make me a baked potato tomorrow! I really wasnt craving anything but the butter and cheese on the potato!!!! :clap2:

I try to add some kind of Protein to what ever I eat that way its not " wasted" for lack of a better word. that way if i eat something I make sure it will keep me full and satisfied for a while. I usually add the Bush's Chili to my potaotes and it is really good . That's just me being compulsive though LOL

HTH enjoy your potaote

Mindy

I eventually found it took more work getting my baked potato just right--the right combination of butter, sour cream, cheese etc. than it was worth when I could only fit a couple of bites in!

I make them with a meal, and try to get my biggest fill of the meal from the healthier meat, and less starchy veggies---but there are times, those 2-3 bites are well worth all the work!!!

Deprivation has always been my down fall---that is one of the biggest things I love about my band----I do not make myself do without!

Have a bite for me!

Kat

Help help help...I am almost 2 months post op and I have been craving a big baked potato!!! I know that I am supposed to stay away from pastas, potatoes, and breads!! Help does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think as long as I count it into my calories and only eat it this one time that it will be ok? I have been doing really well with the low calorie and high Protein foods. I haven't lost much weight (12 pounds) but I am still staying under my 1000 calories a day! And while I am writing...I am having a hard time taking in 8 cups of Water a day? It seems like I dont think about it or I am too busy to worry with drinking. Any suggestions? Thank You! :rolleyes

Hannah

I eat 1/2 cup rice every nite with my dinner - If I want a baked potato I take a small/medium size red potatoe and nuke it and eat it.

I do watch my carbs - do Protein first - but I still allow myself some statches.. I follow Weight Watcher eating plan - I don't count points but do count calories and protein grams..

A typical dinner for me is 4 oz fish baked 1/2 c rice and some squash

do you exercise - for me that has been a big help in my weight loss

I try and keep my calories between 1000 - 1200 and I exercise 4-5 times a week..

My doc's instructions were low fat sugar free protein 1st veggies & carbs. His suggestion - try and get all your protein in for like Breakfast & lunch and then you will have room for veggie & carbs at night..

I could not live without some carbs - I am lucky I have restrictin and can eat bread (i don't very often) potatoe - rice - Pasta even have had pizza - small bites chew well and only 1 piece.

You gotta eat what you want with in reason - this is a lifetime lifestyle change and not a diet per se...

That makes a lot of since! I have been having my Protein Shake for Breakfast and then meat meat for the rest of the day and sometimes a slice of cheese that has 80 calories and 9 Proteins. I havent branched out on a lot of food for the fear of not losing weight. My doctor told me I was in the bottom % for losing weight. They like to see 2 pounds a week!!! I will start to exercise a little more! I have an elliptical machine. It is just finding the time and energy to work out after a busy day.

That makes a lot of since! I have been having my Protein shake for breakfast and then meat meat for the rest of the day and sometimes a slice of cheese that has 80 calories and 9 Proteins. I havent branched out on a lot of food for the fear of not losing weight. My doctor told me I was in the bottom % for losing weight. They like to see 2 pounds a week!!! I will start to exercise a little more! I have an elliptical machine. It is just finding the time and energy to work out after a busy day.

Hannah

You are talking to the QUEEN of hating exercise - i guess that's the reason I weighed 250 - i was a slug bug - I work all day desk job and come home and sit - between that and my eating - i packed on the pounds...

But now - i come home - change and go to the gym - I usually walk 3 miles in like 50 minutes (started out 1 mile 20 minutes) 4 to 5 times a week - i just do it - do i like it not really - do I hate it - Not like I use too as the weight comes off I am liking it even more.

My doc say I am losing the weight faster than most his banders - that I am up there with a bypass person - My explaination is that I am eating very healthy and exercise- Another good idea is keeping a food diary - I have a little spiral note book 3X4 that i use - it's easy to throw in your purse and carry with you.. I write down what i eat 4oz fish 175 calories 22 pt grms - and like i said I keep my calories around 1000 a day - but if you want - there are internet site - like fitday.com or dailyplate or sparkspeople (?) that you can put in your food they will give you the calorie and keep a log and they are free.. I have always found in all previous weight loss programs - I always did better when I kept a food diary.. I will be 6 months on the 17th of this month and this is the longest I have ever kept a diary and this is the most weight I have ever lost..

Good Luck - If you need help - just ask we are here for you...

My suggestion for the gym if you can , do not come home first. If you can go straight from work to the gym that is the best bet. It leaves less chances for you to not go back to the gym . I am a stay at home mom so it is really hard for me to get out so what i do is after I drop my kids off I will get out of the car and go straight for my walk before I get back into the house.

Im going to join the YMCA soon , so after i drop the kids off at school i'll go staright to the Y after that.

I have a treadmill , exersice ball and weights at home but there are too many other " reasons" to not use them .

this is what works for me at least

HTH

mindy

Did your doctor or nutritionist tell you not to eat the potato? If so then consult with them as to why not. If not them have the potato girl. Like everyone else said just watch what you are putting on it.