Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stevia--anyone use it?

I have been researching a little today, looking for an all natural sweetner. My church is doing the Daniel Fast for 21 days. Click the link for more information on the Daniel Fast. (This is not my church, but it has helpful information)

Water. Chrystal Light has apartame, and artificial sweetner.

If you can shed some light on Stevia or a sweet beverage that I can have while doing the Daniel Fast please let me know.

Alotta people use stevia here. I have not tried it so I can't give you any insite, sorry. I was warned though to sweeten carefully when using it cuz it is very sweet. If you try it take it a little at a time and taste to get the right sweetness.

Starting this thread brought up a couple as "similar threads" at the bottom of this page, goodonya!

I replied in one of them.

I use Stevia, I like it. It is a bit tricky getting used to how much to add for the desired amount of sweetness, but once you get it, it's soooo much better for you.

Thanks for asking about it again! I think it's a very important alternative sweetener. And best that it is not a ARTIFICIAL sweetener like Splenda or Nutrasweet or Saccharin, etc...

I also love Blue Agave nectar. Agave Syrup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The calories are like sugar, but the Glycemic load/index is very low, so it's not processed like sugar.

We are suppose to avoid sugar and artificial sweetners. There is the problem.

If you can shed some light on Stevia or a sweet beverage that I can have while doing the Daniel Fast please let me know.

Does lactose count as sugar? I enjoy the True Lemon / True Lime flavoring packets in my Water. They're crystallized citrus with a tiny bit of lactose, and they're yummy.

Good luck on your fast!

I use Stevia quite a bit . Other "sweetners" give me Migraines . Someone told me about Stevia a while ago and I started using it . I use it to make lemonade with Real Lemon juice . Its Great. It does take a little getting use to the right amounts , I like mine a little sweeter than normal .

But I do like it .

Alyson--I will check on the lactose--I'm not sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

Colton--do you use the packets or the liquid. Why is using the right amounts difficult? Is it because Stevia is so strong or so weak. Does it have an aftertaste?

Alyson--I will check on the lactose--I'm not sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

Colton--do you use the packets or the liquid. Why is using the right amounts difficult? Is it because Stevia is so strong or so weak. Does it have an aftertaste?

Getting the right amount is a little difficult because it does not take much with Stevia. There is a conversion chart on the bottle ( i use the larger bottle of powder and the powder packets) but i find that not very accurate, it is some what accurate.

So it takes a little getting use to .

Mindy

I Buy mine in the little packets in bulk at my local HEB Grocery Store

you can get it at Walmart too I THINK ?

or Stevia - Naturally Sweet - recipes, Cooking Tips, Articles, and leading Stevia Products

HTH

Mindy

The two brands I've found in grocery stores is Sweetleaf, and Simply Sweet. They're both very good. There is an aftertaste, but it's subtle, and I actually like the aftertaste. It's just sweet, without getting sour or bitter. I use stevia to sweeten my hot tea, and it's wonderful in Chai tea. It's good in iced tea, too, but I prefer my iced tea plain, so I don't use it much in that. I've found it in Dillon's, Krogers, and Walmart used to carry it, but I haven't seen it there in a while. Amazon would be a good place to get it if you can't find it locally. Oh, and natural foods/health foods stores might have it, too.

Oh, it's usually found with the sugar and artificial sweeteners, but sometimes Dillon's puts it with their specialty foods. Drives me nuts.

I buy my at GNC. They have the packets, powder and liquid.

Awww good to know GNC Has it . Thanks

Mindy

I found it at my local health food market.

Alyson---lactose is the name for "milk sugar"--or sugar derived from milk (I think) I did a google seach and found that it is sugar.

My husband and I have used stevia for years off and on.

It is good in most things. But, I find it isn't good in oatmeal.

I bought a stevia cookbook and made one recipe. It really wasn't all that great.

Don't know if you have Vitamin Shoppe by you or not - but they have a store brand that is made by Sweetleaf and is considerably less expensive.

Stevia is a good thing.

C.N.