Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for our nurses..

Tell me about "all the fluids they pump in during eight hours in the OR." My nurse in the hospital mentioned my edema and said it's pretty routine, due to the above. But when I got home and got on the scale I wanted to die!

What is routine for this sort of thing. (I still have to J/P's going out and one On-Q going in...but that's only 2ml/hour so I can't blame IT for much.)

HELP!!

I'm not sure...I think I weigh about 7-10 pounds more than I did at check-in. It's not monumental...but you know how "we" are about extra poundage.

I had IV's going for only a day. Boobs and belly are swollen. But it's the scale that's got me irate!

Okay, I'm not a nurse, and I haven't had the Band, AND I haven't had a breast reduction surgery...but...after my C-sects, and after being pumped with fluids during and after surgery, it took a good while for me to lose the Fluid. With baby #2, it was a few weeks! I could see it in my ankles, especially. But one morning, I woke up and peed like a racehorse, I mean forever, and looked down and my swollen ankles were most definatley less plump. It was uncomfortable for a while after the surgery, but it went away fast, once I started letting go of the Fluid. At my 6 week checkup after the baby, I had lost 43lbs! Okay, 8lbs 10oz of that was baby, but the rest was fluid retention and other related baby stuff.

What I'm getting at, is that it seems normal to retain fluid after surgery, and certainly when hooked up to IV fluids. When it starts coming off, it will come off fast, and then some, I'll bet. I know it's hard not to watch the scale...I wouldn't want you telling me not to get on it!...but rest assured it will come off.

Hope that helps, and recover well!

The scale liesssss! It liiiiessssssessss! Nasty evil scaleses!

(Other than that, I don't have anything constructive to say. I've been on lasiks for 3 weeks...)

Nurse Penni Money here to the rescue. Ok, Fluid retention is normal after any surgery. IT will take some time to release that Fluid. Your body is storing it cause it was just in shock from the surgery and it thinks it needs to store it. Eventually it will subside and the fluid will either be absorbed or released. Don't sweat it (pun intended)! Lasik is not an indication for this kind of retention. The only way I would suggest using Lasik would be if your blood pressure was elevated to the point of being dangerously high.

You should talk to your doctor about this as well if you are really concerned. I know after all my surgeries I retained some fluid but it did go away. It just takes time.

THe IV they use during surgery has electrolytes that your body needs. It halps to prevent dehydration. Remember your body can go longer without food than Fluid. BTW I gained 6lbs after surgery.

Penni & Paco are both right. You should lose the extra Fluid after your body adjusts from the trauma of surgery. If you don't and your blood pressure isn't too low, your doc may give you a diuretic.

Lasix is furosemide, a diuretic that can be used to force your kidneys to flush excess fluids from your system. It is used commonly in patients with high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, sluggish kidneys, and general edema. I have been given it for PMS Water retention.

It does reduce blood pressure by reducing the amount of Fluid in your arterial/veinous system. It also robs your body of potassium. If you have a problem with heart irregularities, or dysrhythmia lasix may not be for you. There is a potassium sparing diuretic called spironolactone, it does not draw potassium out of the body. Another diuretic is HCTZ.

Give it time, if you haven't lost the fluid in a week, I'd call my doc. But I'm betting you will drain it on your own.