Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

waking up after surgery

Oh, some of you went home that afternoon after surgery? They got me staying the night (23-hour max in the hospital if no complications, same-day-surgery). Is that because I have Type 2 Diabetes?

Joanna in North Carolina

Nope, I have type 2 diabetes, as well.

I woke up very groggy too, my stomache aslo hurt some and I was VERY thristy. I had mine done at a surgery center and as soon as I opened my eyes I heard 1 nurse say to another "tell him to pull the car around". I was like WHAT?? I could barely keep my eyes open and they were helping me get dressed and walking me to the door. I remember while I was at the door waiting for my husband I asked for some Water, they gave me a cup of water and off I went, lol! I arrived at the surgery center at 11 and the surgery began around 12 and was home by 3 and it takes an hour to drive home!

I stayed overnight. My surgery was done about 3:30pm and I was out by 11 am the next day. I have no co-morbidities.

They did have some on and off inflating things on my legs and I was given shots to prevent blood clots. No morphine pump.

I didn't have the best anesthesia experience - ended up being VERY nauseus afterwards. Waking up took a little while, very groggy. Had anti-nauseau drugs which immediately helped so don't be shy about asking for some. No tubes, just IV.

Felt like I had to cough - which hurt when I did. Had to hold a pillow against my stomach. Otherwise very little pain from the surgery. Probably around a 2-3. Was especting more. The gas pains hurt though. Wasn't expecting that to start immediatly.

Once the nauseu was under control they had me sitting up (using a pillow to help press against the stomach) and going through a drinking process which was tiny sips of Water every few minutes - working up to larger amounts of Water. Total drinking process took may 1 1/2 hours. Also, periods of walking. Was discharged after being able to successfully walk & go to the bathroom (they give you fluids so that helps!)

Surgery was I think around noon (not really sure when it started as it was running late) and I was discharged by perhaps 5-5:30pm?

as soon as I opened my eyes I heard 1 nurse say to another "tell him to pull the car around". I was like WHAT?? I could barely keep my eyes open.

That's hilarious!

I had my surgery on the 28th and I don't have any co mordidities (suprising) and I have a low tolerence from pain, so I was reallly nervous and have never had surgery before, as soon as i arrived at the hospital at 8:00 am they said that i wuold be staying overnight 23 hours that was up to my ins. (I found out later ) ,i was extremely nervous about surgery especially the anesth. part all i remember was going to the operating room and they gave me the sedative and i was out my operation lasted an hour i ended up having a hital hernia i woke up in the recovery room groggy and just felt pressure in my upper abdomen i had a pain pump didn't use it often maybe five times my hole stay i slept most of the day walked around like at 5:00pm that day and left the next day at 2:00pm they unhooked my iv and morphine pump and i had to be able to consume 4oz. of Water in 1 hour wothout feeling nauseas overall 6 days later i feel good not that much gas pain and have been walking around just to make sure i get no gas pain:o hope this helps

I was very sore right after surgery. Pain is more like it. However, I just found out yesterday that because of my codene allergy, I was perscriped a lesser medication . I was incredibly tired also.

My surgery was at 8:30 and only lasted 3o minutes. I left at 7:30pm that evening.

Joanna, try not to worry. I had my surgery on 12/20/07 and had a great experience. My post op procedures sound just like what you're going to have. I woke up in RR and was alert and had little if any pain. I was taken to my room and felt so good I had my hubby grab the phone so I could call my kids because they were so worried. I too had compression stockings on and a foley catheter in until the next day. A respiratory tech came in and showed me how to use the incentive spirometer. My morphine pump was great, I took it pretty often. I would recommend that. It hurt but not bad. I couldn't have anything to drink, just wet swabs for my mouth until I had a post op Upper GI the next day. I had a few hard days at home but all in all having kids was harder and lasted longer! I was so scared before, though, and remember feeling just like you. I thought can I take it?? What if, what if, what if....I was getting cold feet and was driving myself crazy. I prayed for a sense of calm and confidence and that helped too. You've researched this for so long and have picked skilled and caring doctors. They will take good care of you. Best of luck, you will do fine.

Hi,

No it didn't feel at all like a Mac truck hit me. In fact it was not as bad as I had been expecting. I felt discomfort more than pain. You are pretty groggy right after surgery and stay that way for a few hours. The worst complaint I had was that my mouth was really dry and I just kept asking my husband for more ice chips. Once the anesthesia starts to wear off you start feeling better.

I was more uncomfortable when I got home - (later same day as surgery) It was hard to find a comfortable position. I stuck to a recliner-glad we had one! The port area (upper left incision) was the most uncomfortable and I couldn't lie on my side.

Walking was hard but not unbearable, had to hunch over and go slow. You just have to keep telling yourself the worst is over, it will only get better minute by minute, day by day.

I forgot, I had a really bad sore throat. That lasted a day or two. Right now, I'm fine (3 days out).

How did you support your stomach? with your hands while walking? Or did you wear something?
I have (had) a large stomach, with a pannus. What helped me was to put my arm under it, so the pannus was resting on the inside of my forearm and its weight was supported by my arm. Almost like using my arm to "scoop" it up. Before I tried this, I was doing this stupid hunched over old lady walk, but it was the best I could do. By supporting it, I could stand up and take somewhat normal steps. It helped me so much because the source of most of my pain was my port incision, which is in the middle of my chest about 2" below my bra. All of my stomach weight was pulling down on this incision. As soon as I relieved the weight, and the pulling, life got a lot easier. :o

At the end of August I had my gallbladder removed. With that surgery, I woke up in more pain, but nothing I couldn't easily tolerate. I also had a sore throat, which I did not have on my band surgery. I also had minor gas twinges near the inner part of my collar bone. With my band surgery I had no gas issues at all. The incisions from the GB surgery also hurt more than the band incisions. For my band he stapled me and then put large clear tapes on top. For the GB (same surgeon), he just used butterfly strips and the tapes, no staples, and come to find out there was a small incision in my bbellybutton that they didn't close at all. That one hurt. Felt like a constant bee sting.

Both surgeries were outpatient, and I was on my way home within 3 hours of being wheeled out of the OR.

<p>Waking up after surgery, what is the likely scenario? Am I going to feel like I've been hit by a Mack truck? Tubes everywhere? I'm a control freak and this is the part I'm most nervous about, that I'm sick and can't get it together. Just go ahead and tell me what to expect. </p> <p>Thx, Joanna in North Carolina Surgery by Dr. Cook at Frye Medical Wednesday January 16, 2008.</p>

I didn't have pain at all in recovery. I did have nauseau though pretty bad. Kept trying to throw up even though there was nothing to vomit. I have had anesthesia before and never had a reaction so they weren't sure what caused it. I was in recovery for 3 hours until they got the nausea under control. They put a patch behind my ear that kept me from feeling sick for the next three days. It was great for the ride home.

The worst part was getting out of bed. I had a morphine drip I could control myself and that helped. But I was up and walking 5 hours after surgery. I was dilligent about getting my butt out of bed, even though it did hurt, and pacing the halls as much as they would let me. I credit that with why I had such a quick recovery.

The worst day for me was day 4 when I had lots of gas pain but other than that it wasn't bad at all. I only took my percacet for two days and then switched to tylenol. I am at two weeks out today and haven't been in pain since day 4. I have just started eating mush foods as I had to do two weeks liquids per dr's orders and I feel great.

I hope yours goes as smoothly as mine did :)

OH and I did stay overnight- I think that different surgeons just want different things.

I had the things on the legs- they aren't bad and actually I thought felt kind of good- like a massage :)

And I couldn't drink until the next morning-no ice chips, no wet swabs, no wet washclothes- Nothing

Ask for mouth balm if they have it. That really helped. It is like lip balm but you put it in your mouth so it doesn't get so dry.

And I couldn't drink until the next morning-no ice chips, no wet swabs, no wet washclothes

Wow, I would have died, my mouth was so dry and I was so thirsty!

I remember waking up like I just popped my eyes open. I saw a nurse sitting next to my bed, and remember just talking away. She called my first nurse of the day to come get me. When she got me she said, "This one's smiling." I then remember walking right away to the restroom. My stomach was then sore, like a did serious sit ups. No sore throat, no gas pain, no nausha. My doctor put anti-nau med in the I.V. and the patch behind my ear all before surgery. I do remember my eyes were blurry for 2 days after surgery. I needed reading glasses.

My experience was great, and my doctors are now god's to me. I was terrified to be put to sleep, and I am terrified of drugs.