Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oatmeal Question

I KNOW we're supposed to have Protein for every meal but I LOVE OATMEAL and I HATE EGGS!!! Yuck!

Two weeks post op I was allowed to have "Baby Oatmeal" and I bought a box------oouuooouuoooouuoooooo, nasty! So I went straight to my quick oats and haven't stopped since!

I do 1/8 cup quick oats to 1/4 cup Water miked for 40 seconds BUT then I add one teaspoon of brown sugar!! For as little carbs as I take in the rest of the day (and as many Proteins shakes as I do) I feel I can treat ME the first thing in the morning!

YUMMY! :hungry:

The packets of Grits (Butter flavor) are 100 calorie per pack. I love those things, I eat them for b'fast when I have the time, and lunch sometimes when I think about it.

I didn't have any problem with oatmeal during my mushies stages. At first, I blended the oatmeal (w/magic bullet) then I cook it with either Water or skim milk. It is much more smoother. Now since I have pass the mushies stage, I do not blended it beforehead and cook it as it is. I had expeirmented it with frozen blueberries and then thaw it out and added splenda to cooked oatmeal. It's delicious! I buy frozen blueberries (no sugar added) and use a few at a top.

I have started eating the low sugar oatmeal. I really like it. I tried the Weight Control when it first came out, but I really didn't like it.

I just ordered some Steel Cut oatmeal from Amazon. It's on sale or at least it was. Dr. Oz really hypes it up and the reviews were really good. I like the brown sugar oatmeal, so I am thinking of adding the brown sugar splenda to it.

I ordered a lot to get the price so I hope it's good. Here's the link....

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FH19D0/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I16OUTRCPQEK8E&colid=ZW4ZV5EIZOSB]Amazon.com: McCann's Steel Cut Oatmeal, Traditional, 28-Ounce Tins (Pack of 4): Grocery[/ame]

I have oatmeal almost every morning and love it. I add a few walnuts and some blueberries, splenda and a bit of milk. My friend joked that I wasn't eating oatmeal; I was eating an oatmeal cookie.

I have oatmeal almost every morning and love it. I add a few walnuts and some blueberries, splenda and a bit of milk. My friend joked that I wasn't eating oatmeal; I was eating an oatmeal cookie.

hahaha lol..... not quite as much cals:biggrin:

Teresajo,

When do you add the unjury, before you cook it or after? I thought about doing the same, but wondered what it would do to the texture.

I also eat the Walmart sugar free maple and brown sugar flavor but I just noticed that it has 18g of carbs. No sugars and no sugar alcohols. I'm hoping someone knows, Are these considered "good Carbs" and if not should we be eating these?

The ones with sugar aren't as good for you. The one that you have to actually cook on the stovetop with some splenda and milk is much healthier.

Oatmeal has always been one of the greatest weight loss/management foods for me...always. Now that I'm banded I'm SO glad that I can tolerate it thusfar now that I've begun my puree stage. I prefer regular flavor with a few dashes of cinnamon & 1 packet of Splenda. Or, if I'm in a really big hurry, I just add some hot Water to the Weight Control kind (Cinnamon & banana bread flavors are the best) and that gives me some added Protein. I stay full for a couple hours on it. Oatmeal is really a perfect food in so many ways.

reading this board i so want to go buy oatmeal it sounds so good right now... :(

I love oatmeal...eat it every day. Since I have had a few fills, I can't even eat a whole packet, but eat about 3/4 of it.

I used to make the steel cut oats in my crock pot overnight, but it's a lot of work for what little I can eat. Now I just use the weight control in cinnamon flavor...yummmmmmm