Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yeow--I miss...

...real food!

OK I won't lie. It is only day 6 of pre-op diet and I am ready for something besides powdered protein! Seriously, it's hitting home that life will never be the same and I'm going to miss food (I think). I want a cheeseburger! I guess with the band we'll still be able to eat "normal" (yeah, yeah healthy) things, just in small quantities. Anybody else feeling like you're losing a friend? Is that weird? :hungry:

JIM YOU will be able to eat everything but in bandster quantity.

Now I chose to eat low cal while losing because I wanted it off.

edie

Jim,

I am scheduled for Friday and my surgeon only requires 2 days of liquids. Today is my first day and I'm ready to eat the wallpaper. I saw a salad at school today and was ready to steal it and eat the whole thing! I had my "last supper" last night. I'm with you and I worry that I won't be able to eat food again.

Shirley

Jim - I really relate to this one. It is like a loss...I've been feeling that way more and more as my date approaches. I'm trying really hard to remember that this "friend" has not been good for me and that despite the loss, I will be happier in the end.

My biggest fear has to do with socializing. So much of my life is spent with friends and family in food/alcohol related activities. I'm going to have to learn to enjoy these events while ignoring the part I'm missing.

I feel the same way Jim! I keep having the whole "last meal" thought cross my mind and I hate that because I know deep down it's not true. I'm going to have to find new ways to cope with stress and stuff like that, it really has been my friend...my shoulder to cry on. But I guess it hasn't been my friend at all if I'm here huh? food is a part of my life, it's there when I'm sad, it's there when I'm celebrating, it's there in all the in between moments, it's just there and I want it. Someone else mentioned it being a part of socializing and it definately is for me too. Hubby and I have already talked about that a lot...what are we going to do on date nights now if we can't go pig out at our favorite mexican restarant? I guess we'll have the energy to go bowling or something after dinner now instead of rolling ourselves to the car and coming home and plopping our fat asses on the couch in a food coma.

It'll get better though, just keep telling yourself that. The end result will be worth it!

And in a few weeks when I come on here saying I miss food, remind me of that...lol.

Yeah my Mom is coming (Sunday) to help me after surgery(Monday) and my fiance wanted to go out for my last "big" dinner before my surgery on Monday. I will be on a liquid diet for 24 hours prior to my surgery so I won't get to do it. Its funny, it didn't upset me at all, but he was kinda depressed. I'm glad I didn't get depressed. I was kinda bad last week and ate a lot of the stuff that I know I will have problems with after the surgery, now I'm ready!! I feel so liberated.

My DH (who's maybe 15-20 lbs. overweight) also likes to go to Chinese all you can eat places and brings me my favorite snack foods home. Eating has become an "activity"---not good at all!! So I'm hoping to get out and do yardwork, walk the dogs, etc. as I begin to lose. I have such bad arthritis right now that I'm on Soc Sec Disability, and have to use a scooter to get around for shopping. I'm hoping all that changes.

Saw my friend today who had gastric bypass several years ago--she made me feel better about saying "farewell" to favorite foods, and told me she can eat EVERYTHING, just in smaller amounts. And she has maintained her weight loss of almost 200 lbs. Good or bad, I need to know I can still have those favorite foods on occasion.

Carol day 3 of 14 day preop diet

...real food!

OK I won't lie. It is only day 6 of pre-op diet and I am ready for something besides powdered protein! Seriously, it's hitting home that life will never be the same and I'm going to miss food (I think). I want a cheeseburger! I guess with the band we'll still be able to eat "normal" (yeah, yeah healthy) things, just in small quantities. Anybody else feeling like you're losing a friend? Is that weird? :hungry:

No, that is not weird! I just wrote to a friend yesterday that I felt I was almost grieving the loss of how food is so a part of me. I've gotten teary just thinking about it. As sick as the relationship is....it is comfort & familiar.

Thank you all for your posts....this was a great thread to start. I've been concerned about what I will do with all the emotions that I now eat over and also alternatives to what dh & I now do....enjoy food together! Thanks....I needed this thread. When you start thinking or seeing alternatives..........share! B)

Carol

In many ways it is like the death of a good friend for me. I was really in to comfort eating and you just can not do that when you have good restriction. You get full to fast. I try to do different things for comfort now. A cup of hot green tea or get on this site, or go to the gym. Donna

In many ways it is like the death of a good friend for me. I was really in to comfort eating and you just can not do that when you have good restriction. You get full to fast. I try to do different things for comfort now. A cup of hot green tea or get on this site, or go to the gym. Donna

I so agree Donna, now when I would normally resort to food I go for a walk. It's quite funny at work - I get a stressful phone call and instead of going to the fridge for food I tell my boss that I'm going for a quick walk and then do a couple of laps of the office. Everyone is now getting use to seeing me walk around the office and (being a very large organisation) I am getting to meet people I had only seen in passing before. So now I am 1) Not eating for comfort anymore 2) Increasing the amount of walking I do each day and 3) Making new friends - it's all good.

This is something we all need to address or we will be back where we started. Some people have problems with what they can eat after banding others can eat the same food as pre-banding but in much smaller quantities. You need to remember that if your friends had treated you as badly as food has in the past you would have found new friends. Food is not a friend it is an addiction just like drugs, alcohol and smoking - just that there really are no clinics or Patches for our drug of choice. One day, the world will recognise that overeaters need just as much help as any other addict.

Sorry about that, I tend to get on my soapbox. But really I felt the same way before surgery, I am now 2 weeks on normal food again and I really am not missing out on anything. I have lost nearly 30lbs and I am hoping to have my fiirst fill next week. Once you see the weight dropping off you won't worry about what food you can/can't eat, you will just be so happy to see the scales going in the right direction - DOWN.

Danna:D

I feel the exact same way. Before my pre-op diet I was craming in all my favorite foods because I know I won't be eating them anymore. It was sad and not helpful at all. It really helps to know that I'm not the only one feeling this way. My problem is I really truely enjoy the taste of certain foods (mainly bad ones). I'm trying to experiment to find other things that will bring me joy to put in place of food (if that makes any since).

We can do it!!!!!!