Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on 12/31/07, Should I be Here?

I am out 6 days and staying on the liquid diet that the doctor has suggested. I never want to go back into the hospital, so I would rather stick to it and be a little miserable.

There is Tomato Soup on my list and had that last night. But I can't get down any Protein drinks other than the Carnation Instant Breakfast. I know I am not getting enough liquids down, but I am not feeling the hunger nor feeling thirsty. Its a weird feeling not to want to eat, but I have no desire.

mreagle5,

Actually, I don't think I was scared enough. You see, prior to this I had two other lap surgeries and they were easy. As for the this surgery, that part was easy. The post surgery phase with this 2 oz. liquid diet is the hard part.

My suggestion is that if you're post-op, you should try eating 2 oz. of something liquid for 8 hours. That will be small test of what it will be like. The only difference is that you shouldn't feel as hungry after you've had the surgery. Right now, I don't feel very hungry. Although, I may not be the ideal post child for WLS since I'm not being consistent about the 2 oz. rule.

I am sure others have talked about this product, but I was pretty excited to find it. There is a Protein shot called New Whey Liquid Protein which has 42g of protein in a 3oz shot. Also only has 176 calories, 2g of carbs and no fat. Its a fairly thick liquid and the taste is iffy, but its hard to beat that level of protein in 3 oz. Also there is no need to refrigerate it.

Hey B-Man, thanks a million! You were the first to tell me, so thank you very much.

I found some 25g New whey Liquid Protein at smoothie King and I tried the fruit punch. It was okay. Kind of like taking cherry flavored medicine. I just like the fact that I can get all that Protein in 3 oz. I've ordered a dozen of the 42g product, so hopefully it be okay to drink.

This 42g protein boost coupled with CIB and Braum's Fat Free milk will give me 60g of protein a day.

Note: Anyone else reading this that doesn't have a Braum's near you, I feel sorry for you. Braum's has the best tasting milk around, plus you get 5g more protein than what you'd find at the supermarket. They make the best milk in Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Arkansas.

Chrisann,

Yes, I had the Gladiator pre-op. It was okay.

Post-op, I had a small portion of it, I felt pretty bad. I don't know if it generates a lot of stomach gas, but it took a while until the gas pain went away.

I ordered the smallest size. When the guy made it, he had a little left over that he put in a small cup. I only consumed what was in the small cup. It might have been only 2 oz. I noticed when I was about to drink it that there were lots of little bubbles in it. I figured that was do to the blending process, but I'm thinking that might mix in a lot of air.

For someone who isn't restricted, a normal smoothie is probably designed to expand so that the consumer will feel full, but for a WLS patient, I think this feature can be hard to digest.

My nutritionist said to not have any smoothies for at least 3 weeks after the banding, so I haven't had one since December 30th. But it was my life saver during the preopt liquid, because it held my hunger for nearly 6 hours!!

I plan on getting back into them when I am back to eating in February, because to get that kind of full feeling when my stomach was big, will do me wonders a few times a week with the band now in place.