Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my Band on Monday, but I don't know what I should be taking now.

I got my band on monday and I'm drinking a lot of Water. But I'm horrible at keeping track of stuff so I'm not sure what I should be doing for food. I'm pretty sure that water alone isn't a good idea. What post op diets did you guys have.

PS, I plan on asking my NUT and Dr., but I would love to hear it from you guys as well.

:help:

Protein Shakes are important !! I drank Slim Fast Low Carb since it had over 20 grams of Protein and under 8 grams of carbs. Protein helps you heal so finding a Protein Shake for the liquid stage is important.

I also ate vegetable broth, Jello, fat free pudding, low fat sugar free frozen yogurt ( my nutritionist had this on our list) Tomato Soup, skim milk and Decaf tea

Congrats on your banding !!

My doctor instructions were:

For 2 weeks after surgery - 3 Protein shakes a day (Slimfast Low Carb or Slimfast High Protein) Regular Slimfast doesn't give you enough Protein

liquids only during this stage other than the Protein drinks. Examples included clear Soup, propel Water, crystal light, v8 was ok

After the 2 weeks it was soft food - things like chicken in broth, flaky fish, eggs, well cooked vegetables. And still protein. LOTS OF PROTEIN.

My doctor doesn't want his patients to eat simple carbs so no mashed potatoes, bread, oatmeal (doesn't seem like a simple carb to me, but that's his instructions), you get the picture.

You should have been given complete instructions from your doctor for the next couple of weeks. Call his/her office immediately and good luck!

You should absolutely call your Dr. right away for post op instructions. Each Dr. has their own post op food Plan.

I was on "clear" liquids for one week. They wanted us to have CLEAR Protein drinks such as Isopure CLEAR. sugar free Jello was ok, sugar free popsicles, clear broth.

Thick Or "full" liquids such as shakes were allowed week two.

Atkins protien shakes, Tomato or cream of chicken Soup, SF Jello, clear broth.< /p>

We were told to track our Protein intake and to get at least 40 to 60 grams the first week and up to 60 to 80 the second week and to get lots of fluids in to prevent dehydration.

"Light" apple juice or "light" cranberry juice was also OK.

The Isopure CLEAR has 40 grams of protein in it. So one or two bottles a day and your protein is all done.

The third week was pureed foods, you could "blend" food. No large chunks allowed.

The fourth week was soft food. I progressed to ground turkey, mashed potatoes, sugar free pudding, and added some of the Atkins shakes and broth etc for protein.

The important thing is not to progress more quickly than your surgeon advises. No matter how small the incisions look, they did do surgery inside and that must heal.

Once your on to soft foods, you eat protein first, then veggies, then if you have room, a few carbs are ok.

Avoid bread, rice, firm meat such as chicken and beef unless it's ground up once you're on that stage.

Please cal your Dr. and get his/her post op food plan. I can't believe one wasn't given to you at some point in your office visits to the surgeon or the nutritionist. If they did give you one, dig it out.

You need to call your doctor for their specific instructions. It seems that post op instructions are as different as each doctor, so you should find out what you doctor wants you to be doing instead of making it up based on what the rest of us went through.

//You need to call your doctor for their specific instructions. It seems that post op instructions are as different as each doctor, so you should find out what you doctor wants you to be doing instead of making it up based on what the rest of us went through.//

I agree fully with this comment. Everyone above said that you *need* Protein shakes...that you *have to* have them....well I'll tell ya something....my surgeon doesn't believe in having us drink Protein Shakes !!! And before any of you think he's some Dr. that doesn't know what he's doing let me just tell you that he is one of the more successful and respected surgeons in the Pacific/Northwest. Not to mention that his plan worked great for me....I had *no* hunger the first month and lost just over 20lbs.

Anyhoo....you need liquids, I was allowed anything that was thinner than the "consistancy of paint". But all Dr's think differently and you need to follow the directions of your own Dr.....so call his office and don't hang up that phone until you have a clear diet plan outlined that you understand completely and can follow.

Good luck !!!

Patricia

11/16/06

306/204/175ish<!-- google_ad_section_end -->