Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Banned in Texas

I had my surgery on Monday, December 31st, at Presby in Plano by Dr. Stephen Hamn. Looks like everything went well. Now my only concern is that the band not slip.

On Thursday before the surgery, my official weight was 350 lbs. I'm 6'2", so I think that makes my BMI 44. I'll have to recheck that later. While I was at the hospital, I unofficially stepped on a scale in my hospital gown as opposed to the official weighing done in my street clothes, but it looks like I'm down about 5 lbs. True weight loss is probably 2 or 3 lbs., but I'll take anything extra. I've been on the Phase I diet since Friday.

I guess 2 or 3 lbs. doesn't really count for anything since that could just be Water weight. The 15th will be the true weight-in. I guess the hard part is just beginning.

Hey Big-D!

I'm glad your surgery went well. Band slippage is more rare than a lot of people think, but it still can happen to the best of bandsters. Just be very careful and follow your surgeons instructions, and hopefully you will heal well with no problems.

Nice to meet you and good luck to you!

Thanks, I just wish food ads were banned from TV.

Right after my surgery, I was watching TV from the hospital bed and I repeatedly saw ads for Sonic and Dairy Queen that made my mouth Water.

Even commercials for Jenny Craig and Lean Quisine show tasty food. This month could be brutal as the battle between fast food and dieting plans heats up.

Thanks for the encouragement. Is it going well for you?

Right after my surgery, I was watching TV from the hospital bed and I repeatedly saw ads for Sonic and Dairy Queen that made my mouth Water.

Even commercials for Jenny Craig and Lean Quisine show tasty food. This month could be brutal as the battle between fast food and dieting plans heats up.

I know how you feel. It's when you can't eat food that you realize how "food centered" this country has become, not to mention how we have become a fast food nation. I think, for me, not eating fast food is the hardest thing. I was a fast food junkie and I'll probably always struggle with this. Hang in there, it does get better.

Thing are going great for me. The weight is starting to come off a lot slower now, but I was prepared for that. So far I haven't had any complications and hopefully it will stay that way.

I think my biggest problem will be when I go back to work next week. What will I eat for lunch?

In the past, I would just hit a fast food place or Subway. Now I need to plan ahead and probably bring my lunch. What do you do for lunch?

I think my biggest problem will be when I go back to work next week. What will I eat for lunch?

In the past, I would just hit a fast food place or Subway. Now I need to plan ahead and probably bring my lunch. What do you do for lunch?

What are you allowed to have next week? liquids? Mushies?

"I think my biggest problem will be when I go back to work next week. What will I eat for lunch?

In the past, I would just hit a fast food place or Subway."

I was in the same boat as you. KFC 6 piece dinner, Subway Cold Cut Combo: foot long of course (with chips and bucket of soda), a whole Papa John's medium pizza with pepperoni, extra-cheese, and some onions and peppers for being healthy. Oh, and I could always go for Mickey D's.

Now, I pack Breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack and bring it to work every day, and I rarely deviate. Here is a typical sample:

Breakfast (may take a couple of hours to eat all of this):

1 Yogurt

1 Hard Boiled Egg

1 coffee

1 Bottle of Water with Crystal Light

1 small can Diet Red Bull

Lunch:

Protein shake

sugar free pudding

1 bottle of Water with crystal light

Afternoon Snack:

Muscle Milk - Protein pudding

Bottle of water with Crystal light

1 coffee (long ride home)

dinner can be Soup or tuna or any of a myriad of other protein rich foods.

I hope this helps.

Breakfast (may take a couple of hours to eat all of this):

1 Yogurt

1 Hard Boiled Egg

1 coffee

1 Bottle of Water with Crystal Light

1 small can Diet Red Bull

Lunch:

Protein shake

sugar free pudding

1 bottle of Water with crystal light

Afternoon Snack:

Muscle Milk - Protein pudding

Bottle of water with Crystal light

1 coffee (long ride home)

dinner can be Soup or tuna or any of a myriad of other protein rich foods.

I hope this helps.

Is that sugar free yogurt or just regular? No fruit yogurt?

Thanks for the suggestions.

The yogurt is the Dannon Light & Fit. The fruit is blended, so you do not have to worry about being stuck. However, once you are optimally filled, you cannot eat it too quickly, or you will get that uncomfortable, "Oh this is going to take a while to get down" feel.

The food commercials are unbelievable!! The pizza ones, expecially. I noticed that during my first week. It gets better when you can finally have something solid to eat!

It looks like I'll graduate to a liquid Protein diet next.

Everyone has different tastes, but I stuck with Protein shakes and Soup on the liquid phase. Those would be pretty easy to make at work.

I'm not sure what you are allowed, but on my full liquid stage, I was allowed yogurt, SF puddings, soupy grits and oatmeal, and creamed Soups. It all depends on what your surgeon allows.

Good luck at work next week, hope it goes well for you.

Hey Big D....Congrats on surgery!! I am also in Dallas, I live in Prosper (north of Frisco). My surgery is this Friday the 4th at the Richardson Surgery Center...I am so excited! Keep in touch and let me know how are you are doing!!!

Good luck on your surgery. Remember to keep a positive attitude no matter what. I expected the surgery to go well and it did. Today, I removed the pain pump and I'm still doing good. All systems go!