Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Did It, Now What

I haven't obsessed about the pre-op phase (maybe I should have). Now I've gone and done it. My surgery was December 31st at Presby in Plano, TX. I'm on day 3 of the Phase I diet.

My biggest concern is that the band will slip out of place. I hope I haven't strained the stitches just getting out of bed. I woke up this morning around 2:30 AM and I think I didn't get out of bed in the best way.

Luckily, I'm not in much pain, but my abdomen is having quite a thunderstorm with lots of growls and pings and pops and whatnot. Anyone else just have the surgery?

Hi--I had mine done on 28th--so I'm just a couple days ahead of you and I'm growling and making other noises too. I'm surprised my husband can't hear it--it seems loud to me!

Where in N tx are you--I'm in Sherman

I live in Plano. Dr. Stephen Hamn did my lap band.

Was New Year's Day hard for you? It was for me. My wife had her daughter, son-in-law and their new baby over. She made black-eyed peas, cabbage and cornbread. It all looked and smelled good. Before the band, I would have over eated big time on this. For desert, she made a pecan pie, plus she had some left over cake from a professional bakery.

I'll be glad when Phase II is over and I can at least taste some of this.

Big D,

congratulations!!! I spent christmas in Plano with my family. I live in Corpus Christi and had my surgery on November 19th. So far I've lost 26 pounds. The gurgling is normal. It's mostly gas. You'll have lots of that for about a week or so. Some of it may be painful. Do EXACTLY what your doctor tells you and all will go fine. It's a big step, but you will be glad you did it. hang in there. Getting out of bed gets much easier about day 8 or 9. then the itching starts. Good luck!

It wasn't too bad--I made a pot of peas for husband--so I smelled them all day! I'm still on liquids--Friday I can start moving to soft foods, so right now I'm doing Soups, yogurt, juices, puddings, etc. Otherwise I would have had the black eyed peas--with the cornbread and fried potatoes!! I thought about turning the peas into a Soup and straining it-but right now I DON'T need anymore fiber!!

I went to Monterrey for my band--it has worked out great! Went on Friday-had surgery friday afternoon--came home on Monday

Congrats on your surgery and all the best to you.

I really think the band is way better than the bypass. Hopefully I'll still feel that way a year from now.

All this talking about black eyed peas and cornbread and pecan pie! Are you all just dreaming of way ahead in the future or thinking this will be included in your diet within a short time?

A reminder that Nuts are not encouraged in the first several months. Breads are carbs and are to be eaten only after Protein and veggies and can get stuck and well for the peas, well I don;t know anything about how black eyes peas are prepared, so I just can't comment. And fried potatoes, are fried and carbs.

Please stick to the post op diet your Dr. gave you, as it's important for the healing and for the band to seat itself.

If your just dreaming and not really serious about including these no-no foods right away, then dream away!!!

Best Of luck to you, the first few weeks are difficult.

BigD & Mellis - Welcome to band land - it's a great place - you could have taken the black eyed peas and blended them - add some of the broth back and have creamed of black eyed pea Soup - (i do this with pinto Beans too).... As long as you follow your doc's orders your band should not slip... That's why it's important to follow your doc's diet while you are healing.

For each person it is diff what they can and can't eat - I made white bean soup & ham after xmas - I made corn bread muffins (150 c for 1 muffin) and had the soup & muffin with no problems - I follow the WW style of eating plan - I want a well balanced menu - I could never last on Atkins.< /strong>

I count calories & Protein grams - keep a food & exercise diary - I rarely ever fry foods - I use to fry everything - I bake - use pam or a tad of olive oil.

pecan pie has like 700 calories per slice - so i would look for something with less calories for those times when you allow yourself a treat

The band is only a tool - 75% of the work is up to you to make healthy food choices and add exercise into your live - the other 25% is the work of the band once you get proper restiction.

But remember they banded your tummy not your head and the majority of the problems lie in your brain not tummy... You are going to have to do a lot of head work for this to be successful.

Good Luck

I think some of you may have missed the point of what Big-D and I were talking about. Both of us are still on liquids--we did NOT have all the forbiddens--we(at least I was) talking about what we would have done before--and that we didn't this year! In the south at least, black eyed peas are the "traditional" New years day meal. I did think of making a soup--but like I said-I don't need the extra fiber!!

I think some of you may have missed the point of what Big-D and I were talking about. Both of us are still on liquids--we did NOT have all the forbiddens--we(at least I was) talking about what we would have done before--and that we didn't this year! In the south at least, black eyed peas are the "traditional" New years day meal. I did think of making a soup--but like I said-I don't need the extra fiber!!

Mary - I understood that neither your nor big-d didn't have these foods - I was just giving example of how you can still enjoy foods that you like with the band while you are on the liquid phase - for me anyway i rather have homemade and not canned foods. Yes I know black eyed peas good luck for the new years - my mom was from Texas... I was just trying to give a little insite to your new band and what you can expect - Sorry if you were offended ' it wasn't my intent.

Hi, I just had mine surgery on New Years Eve and am just on liquids. I'm still in some pain, especially around my port area. How long does the bloated feeling last?

Port pain last the longest - about 2 weeks for me - I was feeling pretty good by day 3 - was back to work on day 6 (desk job) - Take gas x-strips for the gas and walking helps - I don't remember feeling bloated afterwards - I just did a lot of walking around the house..

Good Luck and Welcome to Bandland..

All this talking about black eyed peas and cornbread and pecan pie! Are you all just dreaming of way ahead in the future or thinking this will be included in your diet within a short time?

Best Of luck to you, the first few weeks are difficult.

Oh don't get me wrong, I know I'm saying goodbye to a lot of foods I have loved. Maybe someday in the distant future, I'll have to band removed and I'll learn to enjoy such foods in moderation, but for now I know I can't or else there will be serious problems.

Thanks for the luck. I know the first month will be the hardest. All the best to you too.

Hi, I just had mine surgery on New Years Eve and am just on liquids. I'm still in some pain, especially around my port area. How long does the bloated feeling last?

I too had my surgery on New Year's Eve. For me the bloated feeling is almost gone. I think walking around and drinking Water has helped. Plus it helps if you're willing to let loose with the gas. Don't hold it in. Be free, free as the wind! :)