Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

having trouble getting protien drinks down

Hello,

I'm scheduled for surgery Jan 14th. I am required to be on a 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery. It's only been one day and I honestly hate the protien drinks. I feel like I'd rather not eat at all. I don't like milk, the Protein Powder grosses me out, and I'm litterally gagging with every sip. I've tried a few different things, but nothing is even tolerable. I'd happilly live on Water and sugar free popsicles for the nest 2 weeks...But I'm worried about getting enough protien after surgery. This is a life-time commitment and I need some suggestions on alternate ways to get the Protein in. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Suzanne

You definitely need to eat your Protein. You don't want to lose muscle mass, or even worse...your hair! Sounds like you need to try some different Protein supplements.

Syntrax nectar Protein is fruit flavored. You can order it through a great website you should check out...bariatriceating.com.

GeniSoy is unflavored soy Protein Powder you can mix in broth, or other liquids. i think you can get it at GNC, Walmart or Target.

Isopure is another good one to try. i think its at GNC, but maybe do a google search.

Also check out Body Fortress whey Protein from WalMart.

Basically, it is trail and error until you find a few things you like. I really like that bariatriceating website. Also, check out the 'Food" thread on this website.

Good luck!

Gwenn

I agree with Gwenn, I am very fussy about the taste of different things like that and have found very few that I actually like the flavor of.

My preop just consists of slimfast twice a day and a small dinner and I actually do not mind the taste of vanilla slimfast so what about something like that and adding in a Protein powder additive or something of the sort?

Hope you find something that works for you!

I found Protein slammers at GNC. They look like a test tube..come in 2 flavors peach and fruit punch ..are about 2 ounces and taste sort of like a thick liquid sweet tart. I like them because most of the Protein Drinks are pretty yucky and at only 2 ounces are short and sweet 27 grams of proten in one shot! They also have the Isopure which isn't too bad if icy cold..someone in my support group said they make isopure ice cubes to put in their isopure drink to make sure it stays cold the whole time. My doctors office sells health wise hot chocolate which is also pretty yummy. Hope this helps.

Have you tried Unjury Protein. Here is their website. Order some samples to see what you like. The strawberry sorbet flavor is good in lemonade. Welcome to the UNJURY Homepage Their orders come really quickly.

Thanks for the Input. I just ordered some Unjury unflavored. If it is truely unflavored, I'm all set!!! Also I'm going to check out GNC for some of their clear fruit flavored protien drinks. They are expensive though!!! Isn't it funny, I never mind dropping $50. at the Outback for one meal and a few Brewskis...But spending $40. on 2 weeks worth of protien is Killing me!!!

I was the same way. I felt like I was going to throw up everytime I took a drink but the doctor's office said they wanted me to take this specific kind of Protein (myocel) so I kept on gagging through it and now I just finished my shake this morning with no problem and this is day 4. Hopefully you find something that works. Just remember that the nasty taste is worth it in the end.

I am mixing my Protein with sugar-free carnation instant Breakfast. I whip it in a blender with three ice cubes. It gets ice cold and I drink it with a straw in a pretty glass. My way of making the drinks a little special. I am using unjury Protein powder and another vanilla flavored protein powder I picked up at the drug store. I tried some of the pre-mixed drinks but did not like them. Your body will adjust in a few days.

Hang in there.

Hugs,

~~ D ~~

Hang in there, it gets tough around days 5-7 but after that your body adjusts and its gets easier. Really it does.

If you can get a smoothie, here in NY you can get one with 300 calories, 0 fat, 40 carbs and 45g Protein. That seriously keeps you feeling full for up to 5 hours.

Mix in a slim fast or two a day to break things up. Also have some broth if your doctor allows it.

As for the SlimFast comments. There is a variety of Slimfast called LowCarb. Locally I find it at Sams Club and Walgreens. It has more Protein and less carbs than the Slimfast marketed as High Protein.

As to the tastes of some of the protein supplements. I like to mix things up. here are a few suggestions.

chocolate Flavored Protein drinks such as the Slimfast Low Carb or the Protein powders.< /p>

- Mix in a couple tablespoons of Nestle's Low Carb hot chocolate Powder to bump up the chocolate flavor. It only adds 25 calories and I think only 4 or 5 carbs.

- Mix in just a little instant coffee

- Blend up in a mixer with 1/3 frozen banana and/or a Tablespoon of Peanut Butter

fruit Flavored Protein drinks such as Isopure's glass bottles.

- mix in some Crystal Light lemonade or other flavored packet to bump up the flavor.

- run through blender with a 1/3 frozen banana or 2 frozen strawberries.

- or try making some sugar free Jello (with 1/2 the hot water) then after it cools to luke warm (or cooler) then mix in Isopure as the remainder of the liquids.

The only Isopure I could drink was the GrapeFrost with the Crystal Light Lemonade mixed in. I found the Orange Isopure to taste like a watered down McDonalds Orange Drink with this odd slimy after effect. But I never tried adding Crystal Lights orange mix to the orange Isopure, which might have helped.

Once you get to a point they allow foods such as puddings. You can make a whole array of protein puddings that are pretty tasty. Soft frozen they can even substitute for soft serve icecream.

Thanks for the Input. I just ordered some unjury unflavored. If it is truely unflavored, I'm all set!!! Also I'm going to check out GNC for some of their clear fruit flavored protien drinks. They are expensive though!!! Isn't it funny, I never mind dropping $50. at the Outback for one meal and a few Brewskis...But spending $40. on 2 weeks worth of protien is Killing me!!!

I use the Unjury unflavor in my coffee - you gotta let it cool a bit (can't be over 130 degrees) 1 scoop 20 grms of pt..

Also - I like these clear protien drinks - they taste like crystal lite or kool aide Bari Wise Bariatric Health & Diet Protein Fruit Drinks 15 grms of pt for 70 calories